Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 23rd Oct 19, 6:11 AM
    • 3,565Posts
    • 49,608Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Wednesday 23 October 2019
    • 23rd Oct 19, 6:11 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 23 October 2019 23rd Oct 19 at 6:11 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 23 October 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, dry underfoot but air is cool.

DH and DS1 now getting ready for work, I'm showered, dressed and enjoying my first cuppa and my porridge. DS2 settled and ok.

Dinner last night was stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and LO veg and gravy - was lovely but a bit of a heavy meal, I could have cut down on the amount we all had. Tonight I'm not sure but I can organise later.

Yesterday work was a bit of a nightmare - was pleased to get home last night. Working all day today then on days' off until Monday.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 23-10-2019 at 7:14 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 23rd Oct 19, 6:46 AM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 55,247 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 23rd Oct 19, 6:46 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 6:46 AM
    Morning All

It's chilly and blustery outside this morning, I think rain is on the way.

Yesterday's training was quite good after a slow start but the room was really cold and the trainer was late, glad it got better. Put a wash on when I got in and had a warm bath.

I'm having trouble sleeping at the moment, hope it doesn't continue. I'm staying with DD tonight as her DP is away, I can have lots of cuddles with the baby and it's only 5 mins away from work so it'll be an easy morning tomorrow.

Hope you're on the mend dumpling.
    You're doing well with the op prepping Gers.

Happy Wednesday, take care. XX
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 23rd Oct 19, 7:11 AM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 29,246 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 23rd Oct 19, 7:11 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 7:11 AM
    Good morning and thank you for starting today's thread nmlc.

Cold here and still dark. I am about to have some toast and then get ready, I'm going to a day of training offered by one of the bodies that offers me freelance work, I have to maintain my CPD.

Thinking of Dumpling and her family, and of others who are sad or worried.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • redruby
    • By redruby 23rd Oct 19, 7:13 AM
    • 7,210 Posts
    • 100,922 Thanks
    redruby
    • 23rd Oct 19, 7:13 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 7:13 AM
    Morning all

Brrrr cold here this morning we set the time on the heating last night to come on this morning and I was so looking forward to a getting up in a warm cosy house, the alarm went off and it was blooming freezing again came down and looked at the heating and the clock on the timer was wrong !! Its all set now so hopefully tomorrow will be warmer !

Off to work today and its roast dinner day the beef is already cooked and in the fridge just need to do the veg and spuds and make Yorkshire and a pudding the clients will love it on a cold day like today.

Dinner here tonight will be the filled pasta which we were having last night, I diddnt fancy the pasta so we had baked sweet potato instead with ham and salad.

Dumpling try and let us know how you are xx

Have good days all xx
    • tru
    • By tru 23rd Oct 19, 7:17 AM
    • 8,810 Posts
    • 47,413 Thanks
    tru
    • 23rd Oct 19, 7:17 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 7:17 AM
    Morning

Scamp had a great time last night, he was let loose up the hill and spent half the time diving into bushes I love seeing him like this, a happy and confident dog, especially if he's had a bit of a nervy day.

It's foggy here at the moment, I don't know how the day is going to be, I've already checked two weather sites and they both say different things. I'm hoping it stays foggy, it feels nice and cosy indoors.

The shopping is coming later this morning. Morrisons are stopping using carrier bags in the next few days so my next delivery will be bagless. The driver will bring the shopping into the kitchen for you but this won't work for me Scamp will bark his head off. I'm wondering how to get the shopping into the house easily without letting the driver in. I have a week to come up with something

I've just put some washing on and will sort the chickens out in a mo. The floors need de-furring and I want to go through the bathroom cupboard and give it a good clean. I finished my book yesterday and immediately started another one. I'm going to aim for reading time at 4pm every day if possible.
    Bulletproof
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 23rd Oct 19, 8:08 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 10,234 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:08 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:08 AM
    Good morning, it seems like quite a nice morning out there.

I haven't posted for a few days, and when I was reading back was shocked to see poor Dumpling's post - I hope she is recovering.

Gers you are getting organised for your op, it's better that way. I hate last minute stuff, I can't cope with it now. It's easier to get sorted ahead of time, if it's possible of course.

It's just been same old same old here, except that I've booked a Christmas market trip for a friend and myself, in this country. She loves Christmas markets, and it's only one night away. Must admit I don't find it as thrilling as she does, but it'll be ok.

Hope everyone has as good a day as they can.
    Take care folks
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 23rd Oct 19, 8:13 AM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 23,675 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:13 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:13 AM
    Good morning all,

Yesterday I visited the physio after work, to the tune of another 47.50 for 30 minutes. As before it included acupuncture, cupping and massaging. Due back in 2 weeks time, with plenty of 'homework' to do myself and give myself the best chance of improving. Then nipped into the gym, had a phone call with my aunt, watched the GBBO and went to bed. Snoozing for 10.30.
    Spends: 47.50 on the physio
    NSD: 7/17

As an extra impetus to get up for the gym this morning, I had a facetime call with my step bro in South Korea. So i had a coffee and some breakfast whilst we chatted for half an hour. Going to make it a regular thing I think. So subsequently, I've been to the gym and feeling good for it. I've got yoga at lunch and I may even nip in after work to do my aforementioned homework!

Camelot - Hope you manage a better night tonight, although if you're like me, I tend to struggle away from my own bed
    RR - You actually inspired me yesterday to set my heating so it would be warm for me getting up and thankfully my time was right - so thank you! At least you'll be sorted for tomorrow morning.
    Tru - I completely agree RE: fog. Fog and snow make being inside that much more comfortable. Also, I realised that we've got Bonfire night coming up soon. Hope Scamp manages ok with the relentless banging.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 23rd Oct 19, 9:15 AM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 25,110 Thanks
    RosyRed
    • 23rd Oct 19, 9:15 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 9:15 AM
    Morning all,
    Hope all is well. and healing thoughts to dumpling x
    Off into town in a bit, need to visit the health shop.
    Tru,didnt know that about Morries bags, I havent had a delivery this week, I went to the store instead yesterday.That could def be a pain with Ly1a too.

OOh DS has offered me a lift so better go Sorry to be so short and sweet xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Gers
    • By Gers 23rd Oct 19, 9:33 AM
    • 7,800 Posts
    • 53,357 Thanks
    Gers
    • 23rd Oct 19, 9:33 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 9:33 AM
    Good morning everyone.

One of the benefits of being with DM is her central heating. When she was well the heating was in far too high, now she's mostly in bed I can turn it down to a more comfortable level.

Yesterday saw more visitors who only stayed for a few minutes. The cleaner and her temporary replacement and then the father of the downstairs neighbour twice.

I also ordered a couple more things plus a lovely jumper in JL sale. Think my planning is now done.

Today I have planned to visit the local auction house with some bits and pieces of jewellery. Perhaps some will go to auction though I'm not sure. The sellers premiums can be quite hefty that it's not always worth it. I'm not desperate to sell it, just really interested in the value, some could be tat! Not all of it is silver or gold, one precious piece definitely isn't, however I've a photo of my great-grandmother wearing it. That photo is from before the WW2 years.

DM is still fast asleep. She wanted to not be disturbed so I keep popping in to look ar her.

Now, my thoughts are with the missing and those struggling. To everyone I wish a happy Wednesday.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 23rd Oct 19, 9:41 AM
    • 13,056 Posts
    • 48,673 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning all

Blooming freezing here... ruby I have the same challenge with heating with a weird schedule meaning some mornings up at 4.30 and some at 6 so actually thinking of leaving it on constant then at least it will be normal when I get up....dont like the idea of the bills though.

tru I have a couple of hesian shopping bags by the door then I just pack from the boxes

Hope Dumpling is getting better now

Mum day today so expecting a frustrating one. Made her some soup from the sunday chicken and some veg in the vain hope to get her eating something other than cheesecake and murray mints....even the bananas dont appear now...far too healthy

Have a great day all
    • -taff
    • By -taff 23rd Oct 19, 12:45 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    -taff
    Afternoon all! Was up ealry for shower,breakfast and work meting so that's all done for the moment. I finally got round to picking the damn celery, that is in a bowl of water ready for chopping for the freezer. Can't remember who mentioned celery leaf but looked into that and will gorw that next year instead.
    Chopped half the rosemary down yesterday and put it in the green bin [ would have chopped more but the bin was full [just shows how much there is of it.] Should have done a before and after view.... So the bin gets emptied tomorrow and then the rest can come down. Found a branch that was laying on the ground had rooted so I potted that up, and will give it to the lady across the road. There are tens of cornflower seedlings all over the gravel in the corner so will have to grub those up.
    I keep aiming for finishing one job completely before I satrt another but so far that asn't happened. I will endeavour to file the paper that needs filing today, chop the celery and make a list of things that need stocking up on.

Hope everyone is doing well, hope the news was good TA. dumpling, hope you're hanging in. Nelski, oh how they are trying....what about WIltshire Farm Foods for your mother as well? Gers, happy prepping. COuld you take a photo of your mum wearing it, and then one of you? Be a nice prgression through the years sort of...Scarlet, happy tripping, I love a good Christmas market too but they're usually full of tat and disappointing here. Good luck with furutre deliveries Rosie and tru! Hope everyone is as good as they can possibly be...Whip crack away Wednesday!
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 23rd Oct 19, 3:49 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 10,234 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Taff, I agree about the Christmas markets being disappointing. the last time the same friend and I did a Christmas market it was all flavoured gin, wooden items, and overpriced Christmas decorations. I thought they were overpriced anyway.
    We've visited the German and Austrian markets in the past and they are better.

In view of what I've said you might wonder why I'm going, but this friend is widowed and has no one else to go with. It's only a weekend, it won't kill me !!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 23rd Oct 19, 4:21 PM
    • 7,800 Posts
    • 53,357 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon.

My plan A went out the window as I didn't want to do the auction house thing today. Some days are more painful than others! Instead I only collected my orders from JL, took back an order to Marks and returned another order to A mazon. I've also ordered some soft top socks as I'm anticipating swollen feet and ankles.

I'm so pleased with the three items from JL, all bought in the sale. The best is a Hobbs meriono jumper reduced by 50.00, it's lovely even if their idea of 'large' is not the same as mine! I also got a new tote bag for use in the next few weeks, again, I'm really pleased with it.

All this activity takes its toll so I'm now lying down for a while.

Great idea -taff - may well do that, thanks.

Scarlet - there's a really good German Christmas market in Edinburgh each year. I may well miss it this year which is a shame as DM likes to get her fix of German meats.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 23rd Oct 19, 7:10 PM
    • 5,144 Posts
    • 50,040 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Evening all,

It's been a cold and windy day here......our usual knitting morning in the library turned into an "open day " as the librarian there has been promoted to county headquarters,
    and this was an opportunity for those who wanted to say goodbye and wish her well.....a nice idea I thought.

Dinner will be late as we have a guest who has not yet arrived.......DD1 is cooking (doesn't trust me!)

Oops.....guest has arrived, back later

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 23rd Oct 19, 9:37 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    dumpling
    Hi everyone...Still alive still bedbound. Am not allowed to sit up as heart is damaged from sepsis. Am on Bipap machine to help breathing. Have had lots of visitors who don't mind me falling asleep mid conversation. Thank you all for caring.

• topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 23rd Oct 19, 9:39 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 10,614 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    Dumpling - lovely to hear from you, keep fighting lovely lady x
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 23rd Oct 19, 9:50 PM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 29,246 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Dumpling, I'm so glad to see your post. A friend has gone through this, her recovery was a long road but she got there and I am sending you positive thoughts xxx
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 23rd Oct 19, 10:47 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    mehefin
    its with a heavy heart I must say that Bruisemare lost her battle today.
    Gutted
    Sorry to bring my sadness to the board
    mehefin
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 23rd Oct 19, 10:58 PM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 25,110 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Dumpling, great to hear from you.Sorry you're having such a hard time but you're in the best place,let them look after you well.Lots of love xx

Mehefin - I'm really sorry to hear the news about Bruisemare,your love and affection really stood out in your posts and I know you will really miss her Our animals always touch our hearts and their loss is huge. Take care xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • JIL
    • By JIL 23rd Oct 19, 11:30 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 25,428 Thanks
    JIL
    Fantastic to read your post Dumpling. I kept looking in on the thread to see if you had posted.

So sorry you are going through this, it will pass. Take care. Xx

Sorry to read your post mehefin. Such a sad loss. X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,057Posts Today

7,187Users online

Martin's Twitter