Dilemma at work advice needed

Hello everyone,

I really need some advice, I was signed off sick from work with stress and anxiety for 2 months and the doctor sent a report to my employer to state I would benefit from reduced hours, so we had a meeting and all agreed I would go back 4 hours a day 5 days a week and then look at increasing this as I got back into the job, I returned to work 1 week ago on 4 hours per day and they have requested a meeting today and asked me to work an extra 8 hours this week and then return to full time next week, I said ok in the spur of the moment and then as I have returned to my desk I felt my feelings of anxiety return and felt like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and that they have not really listened to me or my doctor, since doing the 4 hours a day I have noticed that I've felt great and it's been manageable mentally and I've looked forward to going into work but now I feel I'm back to square 1 and feel I just want to run away from everything.

If I were to resign then I would not be eligible for any financial help until I got a part time position somewhere and if I handed in another sick note then I am frightened they will just dismiss me possibly hindering my chances at other employment in the future due to being sacked, I really dont know what to do for the best.

I could speak to them tomorrow but from what they are saying they need me back to full time like yesterday.

I really want to work there but I'm just not in a position to manage full time hours yet and may not be for a while, please could I have your advice as I feel totally stuck now.

Thank you

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Felix12 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I really need some advice, I was signed off sick from work with stress and anxiety for 2 months and the doctor sent a report to my employer to state I would benefit from reduced hours, so we had a meeting and all agreed I would go back 4 hours a day 5 days a week and then look at increasing this as I got back into the job, I returned to work 1 week ago on 4 hours per day and they have requested a meeting today and asked me to work an extra 8 hours this week and then return to full time next week, I said ok in the spur of the moment and then as I have returned to my desk I felt my feelings of anxiety return and felt like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and that they have not really listened to me or my doctor - they aren't obliged to listen to your doctor. , since doing the 4 hours a day I have noticed that I've felt great and it's been manageable mentally and I've looked forward to going into work but now I feel I'm back to square 1 and feel I just want to run away from everything.

If I were to resign then I would not be eligible for any financial help - who says you need to resign? until I got a part time position somewhere and if I handed in another sick note then I am frightened they will just dismiss me possibly hindering my chances at other employment in the future due to being sacked, I really dont know what to do for the best. - Why would getting sacked hinder your chances?

I could speak to them tomorrow but from what they are saying they need me back to full time like yesterday. - Look if you cant do the job, you cant do the job, let them dismiss you and get the relevant ESA / UC claim in

I really want to work there but I'm just not in a position to manage full time hours yet and may not be for a while, please could I have your advice as I feel totally stuck now.

Thank you

How long have you worked there?
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I returned to work 1 week ago on 4 hours per day and they have requested a meeting today and asked me to work an extra 8 hours this week and then return to full time next week, I said ok in the spur of the moment and then as I have returned to my desk I felt my feelings of anxiety return and felt like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and that they have not really listened to me or my doctor.... .

Thank you

I'm not sure why you feel your employer isn't listening.

They listened, gave you reduced hours and then asked to increase by 8 hours one week and back to full time the next week (a phased return in essence) and you said yes.

They took your doctors advice, then asked you if you felt ok to increase and you said yes. They aren't mind readers. I think pushing this back on them to be their fault is wrong on this occasion.

Ask for a meeting, explain you will increase by 8 hrs this week, then maybe 12hrs next week, ie more gradual.

They require a full time position so you must decide if you can you do it full time with a gradual increase in hours.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • I have worked there for 1 year and 10 months
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have worked there for 1 year and 10 months

In that case, i'd keep your head down for two months!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Another question I have is that if I ended up signed off again, would my employer need to follow the dismissal procedure, written warning etc before my dismissal on the grounds of capabililty as I dont have any warnings on my record.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have worked there for 1 year and 10 months

Then keep in mind that your employer could simply choose to dismiss you without any reason. Protection against unfair dismissal only starts at two years service.
  • It maybe won't help, but can I ask why you had stress and anxiety, and why you needed two months off work (which is a lot of time)? And have you any previous metal health problems; and if so did you declare these to the employer?
  • Felix12 wrote: »

Thank you

Speak to your GP. On the 12th June I saw mine after being ripped to bits on here on 10th June, my GP after being the only one to listen wrote a fit note after hearing the year to date events - I was not sanctioned for leaving a Job on 10th June.

On the 16th June, pretty powerless I watched my pet die.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    From your employers pov the suggested phase return was too open ended. How about you meet them more that half way. Assuming that you work a 40 hr week.

This week 4 x 6 hour days this week. That gives them the extra hours.

Next week full day Monday, half day Tuesday, full day Wednesday, 6 hrs Thursday & Friday. That should equal 32 hours.
    Week 3, make the jump to 40 hours.

Two to three weeks phased return is usually about the norm unless you have a generous employer.
  • Hi, yes it was work related stress, also personal stress my father suffered a severe brain injury, was in a coma and almost died, I have always suffered from anxiety but of course with what happened this just magnified my anxiety, traumatised me and I could not cope so trying now to get my life back on track slowly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure