Scottish power illegal entry to my home

Hi I’m not sure if anyone can help with this. My current electricity supplier is Scottish Power. I fell into arrears with them about 2 years ago. To the sum of £118.46 I made an arrangement with them this July of this year and started paying £50 a week to clear which had been going well. My last contact with them was in September to give them an over the phone meter reading. No issue raised. This Thursday I was at work and received a call from an unknown number to my surprise it was a bailiff from a company called face 2 face saying he had obtained a warrant to force entry to my house and install a electric meter he could see that I had been making payments etc and the debt was under £400 but he had the lock smith waiting. This has totally come as w surprise to me as I’ve never received any form of communication from this company before neither my supplier. So I said I would give them a call and I did turns out they had mad a error on there end and they told the bailiff to stand down. So I thought everything was fine &i was just going to continue to make my payments as I had been doing for the last few months. I arrived home after 5pm that day and something felt off in my house furniture had been moved etc I was so afraid I thought I had been broken into but upon inventory I realised that I hadn’t but I couldn’t put my finger on why my furniture had been moved and even started interrogating my son who look as bemused and afraid as I was. Then I thought one last thought that my ex partner had managed to track us down & started to have a panic attack and was about to flee my property on my way out I found a letter behind the door from face 2 face bailiffs saying that they had forced entry but had been unable to fit the meter. I was and still remain in total shock.

My points are

1. I was and still have an arrangement with my supplier to pay my bill which was due to come to an end February 2020.
2. Neither party contacted me to give me notice of the application to court
3. I was not given notice that this had been granted.
4. I believe that they have mislead the court to obtain the warrant
5. As a result they have gained unlawful entry to my property.
6. They have caused huge embarrassment for me
7. They have cause emotional distress to me and my son.

They have apologised and are currently investigating but what are my options in the interim.

Thank you in advance Michelle

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options as in to what Compensation ??
    Consult a lawyer .

<4. I believe that they have mislead the court to obtain the warrant>

A lawyer or Citizens Advice.

>>6. They have caused huge embarrassment for me

You are looking for compo ??
  • Hi I’m not sure if anyone can help with this. My current electricity supplier is Scottish Power. I fell into arrears with them about 2 years ago. To the sum of £118.46 I made an arrangement with them this July of this year and started paying £50 a week to clear which had been going well. My last contact with them was in September to give them an over the phone meter reading. No issue raised. This Thursday I was at work and received a call from an unknown number to my surprise it was a bailiff from a company called face 2 face saying he had obtained a warrant to force entry to my house and install a electric meter he could see that I had been making payments etc and the debt was under £400 but he had the lock smith waiting. This has totally come as w surprise to me as I’ve never received any form of communication from this company before neither my supplier. So I said I would give them a call and I did turns out they had mad a error on there end and they told the bailiff to stand down. So I thought everything was fine &i was just going to continue to make my payments as I had been doing for the last few months. I arrived home after 5pm that day and something felt off in my house furniture had been moved etc I was so afraid I thought I had been broken into but upon inventory I realised that I hadn’t but I couldn’t put my finger on why my furniture had been moved and even started interrogating my son who look as bemused and afraid as I was. Then I thought one last thought that my ex partner had managed to track us down & started to have a panic attack and was about to flee my property on my way out I found a letter behind the door from face 2 face bailiffs saying that they had forced entry but had been unable to fit the meter. I was and still remain in total shock.

My points are

1. I was and still have an arrangement with my supplier to pay my bill which was due to come to an end February 2020.
    2. Neither party contacted me to give me notice of the application to court
    3. I was not given notice that this had been granted.
    4. I believe that they have mislead the court to obtain the warrant
    5. As a result they have gained unlawful entry to my property.
    6. They have caused huge embarrassment for me

They have apologised and are currently investigating but what are my options in the interim.

Thank you in advance Michelle
    What are you looking for, beyond an apology and any actual financial costs you've incurred as a result of their error? Did they put right any damage they caused by forcing entry?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    They got a court order, this gives them the right to entry.

You would have received letters but chose to ignore them, these letters could be in the past telling you what will happen if you fail to meet the payments.

You really have no case.
  • bris wrote: »
    They got a court order, this gives them the right to entry.

You would have received letters but chose to ignore them, these letters could be in the past telling you what will happen if you fail to meet the payments.

You really have no case.
    The OP has every case
    You are quite rude in telling the OP that they have ignored letters when they have posted that they did not receive any.
    You made this fact up
    If I am wrong tell us how you know.

OP also told you Scottish Power admitted making errors and called off the bailifs
    You are very naive if you believe Scottish Power are in the right here.
    Scottish power are meant to tell you when they are going to the Magistrates
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So they forced entry to your property but you didn't notice any evidence of this apart from some moved furniture?
  • My first time commenting on this site, but this lady should not be judged/accused/mocked ... these remarks and judgemental comments some folk have put here are shocking.  You should be ashamed of yourself’s and before you start making judgements on other s before knowing the all facts then keep your small minded opinions to yourself unless you actually know what your talking about .... Or at least done your homework on this face2face company ... clearly you ain’t as these comments would of been taken down.

MICHELLE ... I went threw a very similar situation yourself. Mine was different as a guy from face2face came to my get home in august 2020, he spoke to my husband in regards to a over due gas bill, my 13 yr old daughter was present too.
    It was stated to me upon me arriving get home now from work that my husband had made a agreement and money would be taken from U/C (It’s just myself able to work currently so yes we do did fall slightly behind on bills also accepted help when needed from u/c).
    This man took all my husbands personal details, but then it dawned on me.  They would need my permission as it’s a joint claim. So when I tried to contact my gas company which is SSE, after s as ending over 1.55 mins on the phone the customer guy hung up on telling me that I had now gave him a head ache.  
    As my bill jumped from a low amount of about £130 which yes I did owe (June 2020) to over £600 then another few hundred added on then taking a closer look at a bill which was handed to me it had gone up to over £900 in the space of the time face2face 1st attended my address to returning. (contract started in Dec 2019 - I had been paying but due to unforeseen circumstances I missed 1 payment as feeding my family was my main concern)
    Let me cut to the chase here ... about a week after this intruder entered my home and filled my husband s head with none sense (which in fact he went bk to his office and stated unable to make contact with my house hold). 
    There was a very loud bang at the door, so as I tried to put our dog in the back kitchen and shouted up to my husband whom was in the shower ... I heard the strangest noise on my door, so I’ve ran to the door s as of launched it open only to find 3 men at my door!! A man with a drill about to drill threw my lock, a gas engineer and this face2face bloke (from his description I got off my 13 year old daughter I knew it was the same guy whom attended previously.  Quoin entering my property, I was demanding we’re there mask were, I was ignored. I don’t just have my family to protect I am the main personal assistant with a elderly lady whom suffers dementia so is totally clueless to anything happening in the real world. THIS FACE2FACE GUY was not only insulting towards me but was lying to my face saying he never made contact here nor been inside my property.  Till my husband came down. I let them talk while I gather the paperwork also the paper which both him and my husband had wrote on when he made a payment plan. At first the gas engineer just kept resting his elf saying I’m only here to change the metre.  
    After 20-30 mins of finally getting this man to admit and talk about his visit here, then got on his phone to SSE .... he would not pass the phone to either myself or husband, but was told the bill was even more than what he had on paper work..
    The guy wouldn’t even let the gas engineer tslk on the phone.  It got that bad the engineer took me into the main front room and stated this is wrong, it is  illegal what he has done here and advised for me to contact ofgem/citizens advice/EHU 
    SO instantly I made contact with the extra help unit, whom was a massive help.  I was also told that no charges for attending my home would be added, as the warrant was issued upon a lie.  
    The gas engineer REFUSED to change the metre after what he heard in my house and what this guy and company SSE was behaving. They have no codes of practice or morals for that matter.

tThey retreated with there tail between there legs.  So I choose to deal with them via the EHU. Still arguing it with it more.  This unlawful visit put my bill to just under £1,500. 
    I got my new bill in for Dec 20-March 21 which is a staggering £380 for just gas usage!!
    YHIS PROPERTY HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY VACATED DUE TO REPAIRS WHICH NEED DOING SO SINCE 15 JAN 2021 the gas switch is off!! Yet I threw out my full contract I’ve not had 1 metre reading taken apart from this face2face guy, then was informed that SSE should of come out and put there own metres in as these didn’t belong to them yet all there charges still stand, So for just over 12 months GAS ONLY appartly I owe now. Early £2,000 (Bare in mind for 3 months the property was not being used so gas was off plus I was up to date for the first six months.  ITS S JOKE, for you all to jump on the band wagon with this lady whom is seeking advice .... so what if she wants compensation (she bloody deserves it after the ordeal of strangers breaking into her home with a no doubt unlawful warrant, being in her home while she is working her butt off)
    is it ok for companies to rip off hard working families but we not aloud to seek help or advice?

I thought this was a highly rated site for advice and information ...  CLEARLY I WAS WRONG.
    Aint this classed as a form of erm ... let me choose my words very carefully here ... A FORM OF BULLYING?
    if you want me to point out facts ask away.  Any questions about my story or try to pick flaws without me, I’m more than welcome to share my evidence that the facts I’ve stated here are true, so plz have some sort of self respect in future before you comment on things that are life changing for others when you don’t even know any facts.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Definitely start a thread of your own, Nickijen.
    The thread you've posted on dates back to November 2019 and quite often people read the initial post and give advice on that instead of yours.
    I would do as zx81 advises and make short bullet points of what happened to you, leaving out any reference to how you feel the original poster was treated.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    mac.d said:
    So they forced entry to your property but you didn't notice any evidence of this apart from some moved furniture?
    They also mentioned a locksmith, a skilled one can probably pick most current house locks in minutes.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    mac.d said:
    They also mentioned a locksmith, a skilled one can probably pick most current house locks in minutes.

That part of the thread dates back to November 2019.
    Which just goes to prove my advice to Nickijen is correct:
    Pollycat said:
    Definitely start a thread of your own, Nickijen.
    The thread you've posted on dates back to November 2019 and quite often people read the initial post and give advice on that instead of yours.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback