House improvement

Comments

• unlikely as it's been judged 'too difficult to read', I'll pay my solicitor for advice on my worry instead of advice on how to write, although I have to say it's been a wonderful distraction from being harassed for money I don't think I should have to pay!

I have a feeling you may not like your solicitors advice. The breach/non compliance with planning and lack of building regs is doen to you and not the builder.
  • I am aware of what stream of consciousness writing is, but when the like of James Joyce and Virginia Wolf used it they still used paragraphs and capitalised the beginning of sentences. Ulysses is a hard read to start with without paragraphs it would be impossible.

but I'm not writing a novel ... try this:
    "Stream of consciousness writing is an exercise that involves you getting a notebook, picking up a pen and just writing. You ignore punctuation, style, grammar, format… anything that stops you from writing.

The idea behind stream of consciousness writing, therefore, is that you write in a state of flow.

What does this mean?

It means that, if you’re feeling out of sorts, for whatever reason (maybe you’ve had a bereavement and you’ve got that aching feeling inside; maybe you’ve had a bad day at work; maybe you’re in a stressful relationship) you may be experiencing a sinking feeling inside. That sinking feeling is what drives you to write - and you do so continuously, without interruption and without taking your pen off the paper."

if you look at the time of my first post you'll see it was late, I'd had a worrying evening, I've had much helpful advice from a different forum populated by builders and also from another thread on this forum so I just thought I'd put my thoughts down for the reasons above to help me sleep, and maybe some sensitive soul might read it, understand and come up with some helpful advice

the wrong forum! I deeply and grovellingly apologise to everyone who's taken such offence at my miserable attempt to find solace late at night, solicitor's appointment next week to formalise info from Citizens Advice about consumer legislation covering my matter, bye for now everyone

oh, and I think it's Virginia Woolf, not Wolf?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    why the shouty capitals? why so defensive? exactly why I deleted the post

It was emphasis, not shouting, evidenced by only selected words being capitals.

THIS IS SHOUTING!

;)
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    but I'm not writing a novel ... try this:
    "Stream of consciousness writing is an exercise that involves you getting a notebook, picking up a pen and just writing. You ignore punctuation, style, grammar, format… anything that stops you from writing.

The idea behind stream of consciousness writing, therefore, is that you write in a state of flow.

What does this mean?

It means that, if you’re feeling out of sorts, for whatever reason (maybe you’ve had a bereavement and you’ve got that aching feeling inside; maybe you’ve had a bad day at work; maybe you’re in a stressful relationship) you may be experiencing a sinking feeling inside. That sinking feeling is what drives you to write - and you do so continuously, without interruption and without taking your pen off the paper."

if you look at the time of my first post you'll see it was late, I'd had a worrying evening, I've had much helpful advice from a different forum populated by builders and also from another thread on this forum so I just thought I'd put my thoughts down for the reasons above to help me sleep, and maybe some sensitive soul might read it, understand and come up with some helpful advice

the wrong forum! I deeply and grovellingly apologise to everyone who's taken such offence at my miserable attempt to find solace late at night, solicitor's appointment next week to formalise info from Citizens Advice about consumer legislation covering my matter, bye for now everyone

See, you can use paragraphs and punctuation when you put your mind to it. Wasn't difficult, was it.
  • but I'm not writing a novel ... try this:

What does this mean?

Do you really think it a good idea to use that style of writing when asking for help? It may be a great idea for getting your thoughts down on paper, but it is pretty damn unless for looking for answers from others as we just won’t read it.

Some people put up walls of text because they have never learned the basics, you obviously do, so there really is no excuse for doing it.
  • I don't hand write anything, I type at 80wpm, it's called 'stream of consciousness' writing being an acknowledged form of intellectual communication - darn it man, look it up on Wikipedia

clearly a waste of time here!

And yet you keep coming back?
  • I'm not a man, I'm a woman, a widowed pensioner, who was trying to make life a little more comfortable

Just like posters on here who want life a little bit more comfortable by not being expected to struggle to read a solid wall of text in order to understand what is going on and to give advice on the problem at hand.

It would have taken you less time to amend your opening post and break it up in to paragraphs than it has taken for you to throw your toys out of your pram and have a tantrum.
  • I didn't see the OP's original post, but from other comments I gather it relates to building regs / planning permission (or lack of).

If the OP's attitude is the same as their attitude to how this forum operates, where they choose to ignore rules and/or standing advice, they will get as far with their builder as they are with other contributors to this forum.

OP - I recommend you reading the sticky "Consumer Rights Sticky - Please Read Before Posting", and then the link in the third point "How best to post a query on Consumer Rights". These are very clearly signposted, and helpfully tells you straight away that...
    Sometimes we see that the Original Post (OP) in a thread is one huge block of text. This makes it difficult to pick out pertinent points and to give sensible advice. We don't need long posts, particularly posts where the Original Poster (OP) is "deeply upset" or "horrified at the company response" - we don't need to know that you are upset; we need to be able to find the facts of the case.

Long posts mean that some readers will skip it and so the OP will probably receive only a few replies.

Like many things in life, it is worthwhile understanding the rules of engagement before doing anything, whether that be posting in a forum, or commissioning building work that may or may not require planning permission and/or building regs compliance. But the onus is on you to understand them; ignorance is no excuse.
  • And yet you keep coming back?

waste of time running through thoughts about bad advice from builders ... great distraction in discussion of value of therapeutic writing ... totally different subject to muse on while finishing a coffee and thawing out after a stint in the garden!

the builder question has now been put on ice between his trade association's ADR scheme and the legal approach via Consumer Rights Act 2015, so why not go off at a tangent?

nobody on this forum has to read anything here, if they find it too much like hard work, too boring, nobody makes them do it, why not just skim over and pass if you haven't anything constructive to say?

last night was a different experience altogether, things are always worse when you're alone through the small hours, been sent a demand for money you don't believe you owe for a matter you know your husband would have been able to sort out blindfold if he was still here, too late to pick up the phone and you've just been told your dog might have cancer

today is a sunny day, my dog is sunbathing in the conservatory enjoying whatever time she has left and the garden is grateful for an hour's work, have a heart, people!
  • I didn't see the OP's original post
    Consider yourself very lucky.
    If the OP's attitude is the same as their attitude to how this forum operates, where they choose to ignore rules and/or standing advice, they will get as far with their builder as they are with other contributors to this forum.
    Exactly. Far from feeling sorry for the OP I was thinking poor builder..... the posters subsequent posts have just intensified those thoughts regardless of the rights or wrongs of the OP’s predicament.

I believe the OP has confused stream of consciousness with the correct term for her post which would be verbal diarrhoea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure