Top 10 service companies to haggle with

Options

Comments

• johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2013 at 3:56PM
    Options
    Good afternoon folks-

Phoned Sky today and because of problems i've had with them over the last 18 months or so they offered me today-

Unlimited fibre broadband, line rental and sky talk for £20 per month for a year. Any thoughts on this offer???

Ps- main problems were stability and regular connection issues. I believe they were caused by the sky tv engineer extending my phone line into room by about 20 feet to be able to hard-wire router to hd box for on demand. Not great for a reliable broadband service i'm informed.

Anyway router is now back to main socket
    for the umpteenth time-anyone think the above deal is worth going for?? I believe it is but obviously depends on the service i get but they've said i can either leave or revert back to standard broadband if i'm not happy with speeds/service.

thanks in advance

ps-they're throwing in the sky hub also. is this any better than their older routers??
  • orchidlady
    orchidlady Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Called Sky and told them my bills were too high and was considering leaving. Got half price line rental for next 12 months.

Savings £7.50 x 12 = £90. Not too bad.

:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j
  • heather8
    heather8 Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just phoned O2 up as my existing deal has come to and end.

I was previously get home broadband Unlimited plus line rental for 14.00.

I told them I was thinking of switching to BT as I didn't want a Sky package and they gave me my old package for 9.00 per month, so that's line rental and unlimited broadband. Sign up was for 12 months. I pay for calls as I use them. Most calls are made on my mobile.
  • TQM
    TQM Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is the "success" forum, but I have tried a couple of times to get anything out of sky and the answer is basically no (well, not as good a deal as you could get if you moved or were a new customer). So well done to those who have, but if you haven't been successful, you aren't alone!

I think the biggest issue is that customer retentions departments have wised up to people "blagging" a deal. Therefore, they are reluctant to give anything away. I think those who have got deals were paying for a large package (e.g. £50+ a month), where there is much more room for haggling. They seem to be much more willing to do a deal for people who buy their tv.

For those of us with just basic line rental and broadband, there is much less room.

I would, however, point out that the grumpy lady in the retentions department at sky did not know about the existing offers on their website (or perhaps pretended not to know).

As I have had a terrible experience with BT in the past, I shall not be going back to them. Talk talk seem rubbish and a few of my friends had a poor experience with Virgin Media. Oh well...

It would be nice to hear from those MSE folks who have a good deal with just phone line + broadband.
  • Xplozion
    Xplozion Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    TQM wrote: »
    Talk talk seem rubbish.
    Not 'rubbish'. They have their issues, which they're working on but they've certainly improved a lot so try not to let their reputation be a deciding factor.
  • giddyup
    giddyup Posts: 21 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Just had a pleasent 5 min call with Sky said would leave to Talk Talk and instanly given FREE broadband for 12 months ! saving £90 for year :)
  • kiely124
    kiely124 Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just had a success with O2 - granted it was the third time I've contacted them and I was on hold for an hour waiting to speak to someone but I am so pleased I've finally got what I wanted.

I have managed to get a free iPhone 5s and a slightly cheaper monthly contract with a lot more data on my upgrade. The first two times I have spoken to them, they told me there was nothing they could do on the upfront cost of the phone and they couldn't offer me any discount on me tariff.

I am now going to sell my iPhone 4s and use the money to pay off some of the cost of my phone which on the new O2 Refresh tariffs will mean that my monthly payments will go down even more.

I've probably spent around 3 hours on the phone/online chat to them over the last week and a bit but I've saved myself £80 on the upfront cost of the phone and £5 per month (which will hopefully increase by another £8 or so per month when I use my current phone to pay off some of the cost on Refresh!) all in all I'm very pleased and I've got a brand new iPhone on it's way to me!!! :):):)
    Thanks to all the comp posters, you are brilliant! :T
  • chrissylaw1810
    Options
    I have haggled my way into gettin a 2TB sky hd+ box and multiroom all for free :D
  • scolar
    Options
    Just spoke to Sky as my contract is up soon. Walked away with free broadband and 50% off line rental :beer:
  • Frankie56
    Options
    I've been pestering Virgin for months as I didn't have a Tivo box. They said I had to upgrade from M tv to M+ at a cost of £8 a month and the Tivo box would be £8 a month. Got a leaflet through the door saying that new subscribers could get the Tivo for 63p a month more than I was paying. They said again I would have to pay the £16 a month but, if I phoned customer services, they might be able to give me a bit of discount. I did this and before I even finished telling them what I wanted, they told me I could have the upgrade and the Tivo box for an extra 63p a month. They actually upgraded me to XL tv.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback