Redten Internet offer FREE computer woth £500 if you sign up for 3 years @ £19.99 pm!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    See

http://www.redteninternet.com/index.html

They will also give a free upgrade to 24mgps when it becomes available.

They say -

Sign up to our 8Mb broadband service and we’ll give you a brand-new Intel Pentium 4 computer, with 19” LG LCD monitor and Microsoft Windows Vista-ready operating system, completely free of charge. We’ll also configure the PC so it arrives ready to connect to the internet; install it with anti-virus, anti-spam and parental control software; and cover it with a comprehensive 3-year warranty and 365-day telephone technical support.

You get -

* Up to 8Mb broadband (powered by BT)
    * Unlimited * internet downloads
    * FREE LG Redten PC and 19” LG LCD monitor
    * FREE ADSL2+ modem
    * FREE upgrade to Microsoft Windows Vista
    * 365-day telephone support
    * Anti-virus/anti-spyware software
    * Parental control software
    * Three-year hardware warranty
    * Free software worth up to £20 each month
    * Optional home-installation and static IP
    * Costs as little as £19.99 per month

The PC has

Intel Pentium 4 3GHz processor with
    Hyper Threading Technology
    - 512MB DDR2 Fast Ram
    - 160GB Ultra-IDE 7200RPM hard disk drive
    - All-format LG DVD-RW rewriter
    - LG keyboard and optical mouse
    - Microsoft Media Center 2005 operating system
    - Free upgrade to Microsoft Windows Vista

Can anyone pick holes in this offer?
  • wonderfullife_2
    Options
    Hi
    A 3yr contract, enough said.

From the website
    How do I pay?
    Each package and upgrade option can be paid for in one of two ways: either in simple monthly payments over three years, or if you prefer, as an upfront lump sum. If you choose the latter option, we'll even knock 10% off the total cost to make things a little easier for you. Business users also have two options: to pay upfront, or via a monthly leasing arrangement.
  • bargainbarmy
    Options
    Not that good a deal if you have to pay for your BT line rental as well. With TalkTalk its all included for £20 a month, broadband, line rental and free international calls. Depends whether you think the free computer is a good deal.
  • lyns_2
    lyns_2 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    Good for those who cant afford a new pc you would pay a lot more buying it from a catalouge or credit card and paying £20 a month.
    Then you would have to pay for broadband and then pay for a upgrade from xp if you wanted it and extra for 3 year cover.
    It took me 3 years to pay for my pc and £650 ended up being £1000
    Number 4 due 21st jan
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    3 years is a bit of a commitment.
    Do marriages last that long these days ???
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    I've just come back from Canada and this type of offer is pretty much standard there:

Free full PC package for $0
    $1000 (UK equiv) laptop for $200 (they were £500 UK-Tesco-price Acers)
    Free 19" Dell TFT monitor and $300 rebate etc etc
    ($= Canadian $ = 50p)

You have to sign up for 3 years with broadband providers there anyway, as you do with mobile phone contracts over there.

Cost levels aren't easily comparable however, as you change your telecoms provider and your broadband provider as a package. Landline calls are a lot cheaper - eg free local calls 24/7, International to UK $0.05/min etc..

Also, for mobile phone calls, you pay to make AND receive calls, however call charges are a fraction of what they are here.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Doesn't sound like a sound business plan to me.

If you're willing to take a gamble on losing your Internet access and perhaps having your leased PC reposessed if they go bust and don't think the cost of Internet access will come down over the next three years it's probably worth a go.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Avallon_2
    Options
    I've registered but having 2nd thoughts.

The arrangement seems to be as follows:

You take out an Interest Free loan with v12 for £769 which you then repay over three years. As this is a separate company I wonder what would happen if the Broadband Service goes belly up...

Also, if you end your contract early you have to pay a hefty £150 restocking fee, or you have to pay a substantial part of the pc's value back.

And finally, if you move you have to pay £49.99...
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would urge caution with taking out such a long term contract with an ISP. Both E7broadband and Euro1Net offered cheap internet access deals based on longer term contracts (one or two years). Both of these companies folded this year (leaving many thousands of people stranded with no internet access) because they weren't financially viable.

I see someone pointed out that the cost (minus £500 for the PC) left the internet at £7.50 a month. I can't see this working. For every customer an ISP has on the BT network (not LLU), they have to pay BT £8.50 a month plus they pay extra for the bandwidth used (this is why you see so many capped deals now, to keep the BT wholesale bill down for the ISP).

If this company is using the BT network, these figures don't add up. You will be stuck in a three year contract with them if they start having problems.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport