IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• clothahump
    clothahump Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2020 at 12:20PM
    Options
    Please delete, unable to stop notifications.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Complain to PALS, which is what your should have done, what the NEWBIES thread tells everyone to do, before trying POPLA. Do it NOW.

Presumably you have a thread about this case? Continue there.

THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR POPLA DECISIONS, NOT DISCUSSION ABOUT A LOST CASE.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • clothahump
    Options
    Wow, that was really helpful, many thanks.
    Who is PALS? seems they might be of more use than here.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Please don't discuss PALS on the POPLA decisions thread, when it's Google-able!
  • clothahump
    Options
    How am I supposed to know all this??? If you don't ask questions, you don't get any (sensible) answers.
    This forum is one of the strangest I have ever been on in the last 15 years or more.
    You seem to come over as being quite rude and inconsiderate, why?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    The first post of this sticky thread we are discussing this on (and we should not be!) it says in red not to post for advice as this is purely a thread to record POPLA decisions

That's all it is for and we can't discuss other tangental questions here; it would be impossible to keep up. If people all posted about their own cases here, and asked questions when they lost at POPLA (perfectly normal but needs to be on your own thread, not here) we'd drown.

There is also the NEWBIES thread, where it says very clearly ''all cases, complain first'':
    ALL CASES - COMPLAIN FIRST, ESPECIALLY OVER A RETAIL, HOTEL, OR HOSPITAL CAR PARK:

Always complain to the Retailer very quickly and assertively, WITH A RECEIPT IF POSSIBLE:

Successful complaints about private parking tickets - how to get them cancelled! (link is given in the NEWBIES thread and it includes PALS complaints).

See how easy it can be to get these cancelled by a retailer/hotel/landowner. VERY EFFECTIVE AND DAMAGES THE PPC!
    And in the template appeal that we tell people to submit at first stage, it also says in the first paragraph:
    I dispute your 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny any liability or contractual agreement and I will be making a formal complaint about your predatory conduct to your client landowner and to my MP.
    All I'm trying to do is keep this POPLA DECISIONS thread on topic.
  • jdq2rp
    jdq2rp Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Recent successful POPLA appeal..... in spite of, rather than because of, my input as you will see!!!!

"DecisionSuccessful
    Assessor Name XXXXXXX
    Assessor summary of operator case
    The operator states that the appellant’s vehicle was parked on site either without appropriate payment or for longer than permitted. It has issued a parking charge notice (PCN) for £90 as a result.

Assessor summary of your case
    The appellant states that the driver was unable to pay to park on site as the payment machines would not accept payment by card or coin, and the payment app would not recognise the site even when the relevant code was entered. The appellant has provided screenshots of the payment app.

Assessor supporting rational for decision
    The appellant is the registered keeper of the vehicle. The driver of the vehicle has not been identified. The operator is therefore pursuing the appellant for the charge as the registered keeper in line with the Protection of Freedoms Act (POFA) 2012. POFA requires that when pursuing the registered keeper of a vehicle for a parking charge, an operator must issue a “notice to keeper” by “handing it to the keeper” or “sending it by post to a current address for service for the keeper so that it is delivered to that address within the relevant period.”
    The relevant period is defined as “the period of 14 days beginning with the day after that on which the specified period of parking ended.” The Act goes on to clarify that “a notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered […] on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday in England and Wales.”
    The alleged breach occurred on 11 May 2019 and the relevant period defined above therefore ended on 26 May 2019. POFA requires that the notice to keeper must have been issued so as to be received by the appellant on or before this date. The operator has provided a copy of the PCN which is dated 7 June 2019 and cannot be considered to have been received by the appellant until 11 June 2019, being the second working day after it was posted. This date is outside of the required period.
    While it is clear from the evidence both that the terms of the site were made clear by the signs in place and that the driver breached the terms, I am not satisfied that the operator has adhered to the requirements set out by POFA and I am not therefore satisfied that it is entitled in law to pursue the appellant for the charge as the registered keeper of the vehicle. I am not therefore satisfied that the PCN was issued correctly and I must allow this appeal."
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The relevant period is defined as “the period of 14 days beginning with the day after that on which the specified period of parking ended.” The Act goes on to clarify that “a notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered […] on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday in England and Wales.”
    The alleged breach occurred on 11 May 2019 and the relevant period defined above therefore ended on 26 May 2019. POFA requires that the notice to keeper must have been issued so as to be received by the appellant on or before this date.
    Well there seems to be one POPLA Assessor who understands the law, unlike the assessors and complaints (decision review) handler involved in Minniesox9 and Brucella's threads. Please read them to see the nonsense to which they've been exposed.

As this assessment will be important to both above, could you provide the Assessor's name please?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • clothahump
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    The first post of this sticky thread we are discussing this on (and we should not be!) it says in red not to post for advice as this is purely a thread to record POPLA decisions

Phoned BMI, they will be informing Britannia to drop it. Thank You.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    clothahump wrote: »
    Phoned BMI, they will be informing Britannia to drop it. Thank You.

You need written confirmation from BMI
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure