UK Benefits: What benefits I can apply for my mother?

124»

Comments

• ohreally wrote: »
    Two points.

What would a reasonable person draw from the question put by the op?

Secondly I didn't direct a comment to the op therefore I'm unclear what your on about re the op's post and my response to another individual.
    I’m very reasonable, so, since you asked...

I read it as the OP feeling that it is acceptable to bring in a relative who’s never contributed to the UK and apply for benefits for them.

If he was not thinking of applying then it’s a very strange question to ask, and if he is thinking of applying then it’s normal that some people will point out that it’s morally questionable to do this.

Without more answers from the OP, it’s not clear that his mother will be entitled to anything, but I will be very disappointed if she is, that’s not what the UK’s benefit system is for.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    calcotti wrote: »
    Someone in this country on a visa is legally in the country but if the visa says No Recourse To Public Funds then they cannot claim income related benefits (or indeed some other non means tested benefits). Whether atet applies to OP or not I have no idea as they have not posted back with any more information about immigration status of mother.

Yeah, the recourse to public funds is a question on the HRT, it would be discovered as part of the normal process.

I would classify 'No recourse to public funds' as being an immigration control as it is part of the immigration process.

Also, anyone can claim, whether an award is made or not is another thing. I received and processed many many claims over the years where the person wasn't entitled due to HRT but they were absolutely entitled to apply and force us to make that decision.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Well it didn't take long before somebody tried it on with the racism card, did it? I can just as quickly find a nimby.

The person who is being referred to as racist has, I believe, had their posts removed. When they state that only immigrants get all their rent paid I don't see what other label is more appropriate.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    sportsarb wrote: »
    xAlso, anyone can claim, whether an award is made or not is another thing. .
    Distinction noted.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • She can claim Pension Credit if she has reached the qualifying age, they will complete the HRT and as she is in the United Kingdom due to being a family member of an EU national they will require evidence of the family link to you and proof of your nationality and your earnings.

You have not mentioned if she already has a national insurance number, but she needs to contact the Pension Service on 0800 991234 to make a claim.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Socajam wrote: »
    So let me get this right.
    Your mother came to live with you in the UK because of your father's death at age 65.
    She has never made any contributions whatsoever to the UK and now all those who have paid should support your mother.
    Yes, you are paying taxes, but those are for your old age.
    This is why people are !!!!ed off with the system because of this situation.
    Yes, I can be sympathetic, but not that sympathetic that someone who have not paid one penny in UK contributions should be given other people's tax money.
    It's your responsibility to look after your mother, not the British taxpayers.

This particular forum is for giving advice regarding benefits. For talking about the rights or wrongs of the benefits system go to the discussion forum here,

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Socajam wrote: »
    How about we all go over to India and ask if we are entitled to any benefits etc, whilst knowing full well that we have never contributed to their tax system or NI contributions - how far do you think we will get?

Just for the record, you and I would receive precisely the same benefits there as would an Indian in this situation.
  • OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 November 2019 at 10:44PM
    Aarnav wrote: »
    Information:
    Mothers age: 65
    Nationality: Indian

I am an EU national...I have the permanent resident permit to stay in the UK and based on it my mother got her's 5years stay in the UK.

I think you will find it was nothing to do with you having the EU's PR in the UK. Rather that as a non-EEA citizen, she needed to prove that she is financially dependent on you, for her to have an EU 5 year RC. The EU's RCs are always for 5 years but they can become invaild for a few reasons.

Her EU 5 year RC continues to be valid while she remains financially dependent on you and while you are residing in the UK. How will she continue to be financially depenedent on you if she is asking the UK's welfare state to provide for her?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure