UK Benefits: What benefits I can apply for my mother?

Hi folks,

It's now nearly a year since I got my mother to live with me in the UK after Dad passed away last year. I want to know what benefits I can apply for her?

Information:
Mothers age: 65
Nationality: Indian

I am an EU national and living with my partner and mother in a one bed flat which is owned by me. I have the permanent resident permit to stay in the UK and based on it my mother got her's 5years stay in the UK.

Any help/advise as what I can claim for her would be helpful.

thank you in advance
Aarnav

Comments

• Would she pass the habitual residency test, and is there anything mentioned in her visa regarding recourse to public funds?

As she’s not been contributing to the U.K. there’s a chance that she’ll not have access to any benefits, so you’ll need to support her.

Is there any reason that she’s not able to work?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    OP, I would suggest contacting the Citizens advice bureau.

Mark, I assume the OP is working and therefore paying taxes and as said owns their own flat, albeit small. I believe from other posts that you get your rent paid by the tax payer? Your situation is NOT the fault of the OP, it probably isn't your fault either.

I would hope posters here would give you unbiased advice if sought, I would hope you would show the same courtesy.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This might be relevant,

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/adult-dependent-relative

It would seem to suggest that given the OP's resident status and his mother having joined him here that the following 'may' apply. The OP will know whether that is the likely situation in his case.

"the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years"

As advised, the CAB should be able to clarify.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Aarnav wrote: »
    Hi folks,

It's now nearly a year since I got my mother to live with me in the UK after Dad passed away last year. I want to know what benefits I can apply for her?

Information:
    Mothers age: 65
    Nationality: Indian

I am an EU national and living with my partner and mother in a one bed flat which is owned by me. I have the permanent resident permit to stay in the UK and based on it my mother got her's 5years stay in the UK.

Any help/advise as what I can claim for her would be helpful.

thank you in advance
    Aarnav
    You really are stupid to say the least.

Yes I have a MAJOR problem with immigrants, we have enough poor people in this Country, without allowing millions to come into this Country and scrounge off our welfare system.

At 65 she is automatically at pension age, as they are living in a one bedroom flat, the chances are that she will be re homed, given benefits that she has never paid into.

My best advice would be to take her back to the Country that she came from, and get her own Government to look after her.

No she isn't

It's dependant on her age now

OP Try this to work it out - Penison age calc
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    tboo wrote: »
    No she isn't

It's dependant on her age now

OP Try this to work it out - Penison age calc

If she's only just turned 65 she'll be waiting until 66 to reach pension age, if she's 65 and seven months or older then I think she's already reached pension age.
    In this case it appears academic at it appears unlikely she is eligible for any benefits but, as posted by others, depends on details of her immigration status.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Would she qualify for SRP even though she won't have made any contributions?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    venison wrote: »
    Would she qualify for SRP even though she won't have made any contributions?
    You need to have made a minimum of 10 years of NI contributions (or received NI credits) to get any SP, 35 years to get full SP. Means tested Pension Credit will not be available to someone without recourse to public funds.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • many thanks for your reply.

she knows very little English. She lost hearing from one ear and unable to stand for a longer time
  • Hi Purbeck, many thanks for your reply

Yes, I am employed and have been paying all my taxes for over 14years
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    So let me get this right.
    Your mother came to live with you in the UK because of your father's death at age 65.
    She has never made any contributions whatsoever to the UK and now all those who have paid should support your mother.
    Yes, you are paying taxes, but those are for your old age.
    This is why people are !!!!ed off with the system because of this situation.
    Yes, I can be sympathetic, but not that sympathetic that someone who have not paid one penny in UK contributions should be given other people's tax money.
    It's your responsibility to look after your mother, not the British taxpayers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure