* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• Beshki wrote: »
    Went to a local farm shop today, with a whole floor dedicated to Christmas. Such beautiful things, even being a ‘zero-stuff’ person I struggled not to purchase! Did see some bits for pressies though, but will have a think on them and buy in a couple of weeks - trying not to impulse buy!

Oooo that sounds amazing, don’t suppose it’s anywhere near Shropshire?
    Hobnobs are like marines
  • Beshki
    Beshki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Denstone Farm Shop :)
  • stirchleygirl - welcome!!
  • Thinking about making up some winter pamper kits as gifts, putting in hand cream, gloves, face mask, moisturiser, lip balm, scarf. Any other suggestions?
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Thinking about making up some winter pamper kits as gifts, putting in hand cream, gloves, face mask, moisturiser, lip balm, scarf. Any other suggestions?

Scented candles? Chocolates? Eye mask?
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Hi everyone, I’m feeling so much better now, my legs have stopped being weak and shaky, it’s so nice to get back to doing everyday things, and not having to rely on a stick. I don’t know if it’s the vitamins I’m taking or the extra calcium or losing some weight which has helped. My bloods came back fine and dr is happy with the results. I’ve got a few more Christmas food bits, shortbread, cheese straws, caramelised chutney, cranberry sauce. I’ve started a Brexit box and I’ve signed up to a Reverse Advent Calendar for our local foodbank, plus we have all started doing SW, I don’t know whether I’m coming or going, with the foods for each separate thing :D Thank god I love lists :p

NIC I’m so sorry you have had a rough time of it recently, it will pass, just keep looking after yourself. I’ve just seen that you are feeling a bit brighter, keep your chin up!

MANDCO congratulations to DS on passing his test! It’s a relief because you don’t have to keep being a taxi, but at the same time you worry when they are just a tiny bit late :D

NOODLES yes that usually is the way when you have money you can’t find anything, and when you don’t have money there is loads you want!
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY all I can think of is a hot choc sachet or a bath bomb x
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • CazD2008
    CazD2008 Posts: 148 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi All,
    Hope you are well. Nice to see that everyone is well underway with their Xmas prep!

Stirchleygirl - welcome! Stirchley is a village not to far from where I live too - any connection?

I’m in a bit of a panic. We have moved in to our new house this year and it’s the first year I can’t get away with not cooking Christmas dinner!

DH and I have been together for 14 years and every year I’ve managed to escape it as we didn’t have the space! Anyway, he’s invited his parents over this year and I have no idea where to start other than buying a turkey!

I’m not a great cook either, any tips? Recommended websites for cooking timelines etc?

Tia x
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    CazD2008 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Hope you are well. Nice to see that everyone is well underway with their Xmas prep!

Stirchleygirl - welcome! Stirchley is a village not to far from where I live too - any connection?

I’m in a bit of a panic. We have moved in to our new house this year and it’s the first year I can’t get away with not cooking Christmas dinner!

DH and I have been together for 14 years and every year I’ve managed to escape it as we didn’t have the space! Anyway, he’s invited his parents over this year and I have no idea where to start other than buying a turkey!

I’m not a great cook either, any tips? Recommended websites for cooking timelines etc?

Tia x

My advice would be to get yourself to M&S and buy their frozen pre-prepped veg, sides and puds.....Their roasties and parsnips are lovely and it will cut down the stress (not to mention the amount of dishes!) Everything then will go in the oven for the 30-40 minutes these things take to cook from frozen (which is when you have your bird resting, carve, set the table etc.....and that will mean you wont have to spend the entire day in the kitchen! You could even go one step further and cook your turkey in advance and then just re-heat the meat with the gravy over it to stop it drying out. Plus, if your MIL is anything like my Mum, the sight of M&S wrappers on the puds will make it look like you've made a massive effort and splashed out whereas in actual fact, you've just been 'efficient with your time' to quote my hubby! :D
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    AIMEEMUM that’s inspired, I think that might be my plan this year too.

Welcome to the group STIRCHLEYGIRL. I keep a spreadsheet of past gifts too so I don’t keep buying people the same things every year, although I have occasionally been guilty of forgetting to look at it.

FREE I’m so glad you’re feeling better and able to do your normal things again. Dare I ask what a Brexit box is? I did wonder if I should stock up some things just in case but everyone laughed at me.

My Christmas shopping is going well and I’ve done most of the adults and four of the children. That means three adults to do (plus DH) and four children. I bought a set of nativity figures at B&M the other day too, I’ve wanted one for the past few years and this is the year. I had one years ago but I always felt baby Jesus looked like an omelette whereas this one looks like a baby. I need to make a nativity scene now to put them in.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport