MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

1100101102103104106»

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well FWIW it appears I wasn't eligible for the offer after all. They have now agreed to give me free BB if I switch my landline to them (12 month contract). Quite why it requires a 55 minute phone call to achieve that though is beyond me!
    Stompa
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    Stompa wrote: »
    Well FWIW it appears I wasn't eligible for the offer after all. They have now agreed to give me free BB if I switch my landline to them (12 month contract). Quite why it requires a 55 minute phone call to achieve that though is beyond me!
    Which is exactly what I decided. In my case with BT line rental paid for another 10 months and effectively a one year contract the last thing I want is for Sky to take over my phone line...
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Which is exactly what I decided. In my case with BT line rental paid for another 10 months and effectively a one year contract the last thing I want is for Sky to take over my phone line...
    Indeed. Fortunately, my BT LRS expired a couple of weeks ago.
    Stompa
  • Looking back at my happy posts circa 2009, when I first joined O2...my god, I never had it so good! £5 a month for BB, as long as I topped up my PAYG mobile by £10 quarterly, with no poxy line rental to care about.

8 years on and I'm on the same unlimited BB, connection speed now paying £17.50 a month. This is as good as it gets.

Forgive me, just sounding off....
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    No line rental? Don't remember that when I was with O2......
  • Managed to get £5 discount on £15/month bb only (line rental with BT). ie. £10/month + £30 credit so another 12 months paying average of £7.50/month
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I spoke 3 times to Sky about doing a deal for moving my line over from BT and taking Fibre.
    The best I was offered was £30/mth and £30 credit.
    One CS said that £30 was a really good deal because it was down from £38, a bit like the DFS sale. :D
    They all *forgot* to mention that it was an 18mth contract.
    3 different activation costs, £40, £30 and £20 (usually £40, but reduced to £20 because you already have BB with us), also no calls package and no Line Rental Saver.
    I was disappointed with Sky after their good deals of previous years.

I've ended up going for BT's Unlimited Infinity 1 on a 12 mth contract.

I went through Topcashback.
    I have £80 pending, it was reduced from £120 because I already had line rental with BT.
    BT's own deal:
    £28.99/mth with £200 Reward card, confirmed and on it's way.
    Could say,
    £28.99 x 12 = £347.88
    + £60 (activation and router del.) = £407.88
    - £280 (cashback and Reward Card) = £127.88 = £10.66/mth
    That is before Line Rental Saver and includes Weekend call package and 12mths free Caller ID.
    for that money I can let it run on over the initial 12 mths and still be in pocket.

I'm about 300m from the cabinet.
    Estimated speed was 52-54 Mbps, that's correct 54, even though top speed is 52.
    Everything happened on it's due date, I was kept informed by email and text all the way through.
    The router is currently syncing at 55 Mbps down and 9.99 Mbps up.

6213084988.png

I was updating my Linux Mint and saw a 'real world ' download of 6356KB/s, i.e. 50.8 Mbps.
    Move along, nothing to see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport