MSE News: Open new year cash Isas now

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The new tax year starts today, so savers should consider putting their cash into a new Isa now"
Read the full story:
Open new year cash Isas now

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    "To highlight the benefits, the current top easy access cash Isa rate, from Cheshire Building Society*, pays 3.5% AER until October 2013."

No it doesn't.

"A great rate of up to 3.50% AER tax-free variable including a fixed bonus of 2.50% paid until 31 October 2013 on balances of £1,000+. "
    http://www.thecheshire.co.uk/landingpages/Direct-Cash-ISA/

It's the bonus that is fixed not the rate.
  • Narc
    Narc Posts: 422 Forumite
    Opened an ISA with Santander after it was mentioned in last year's article and after two months month the rate was dropped to 0.1%. Watch out!
  • SavingSteve
    SavingSteve Posts: 483 Forumite
    So what is the consensus out there on whether a rate war will arise?

I am torn between either:
    a) Opting for the best rate available this weekend, get my money in and start earning interest tax free ASAP

b) Waiting for next week to see if a rate war commences, so see if anything better comes up.

A lot of the best rates seem not to allow transfers in, so would be gutted if I plucked for the best rate only for it to be beaten the day later! I see Nationwide have a good offering, but I have no intention of banking with them, just not sure whether I wait and see if that gives other providers a nudge on their rates!
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why do MSE Towers not mention the Nationwide instant access Flexclusive 4.25% ISA?
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    innovate wrote: »
    Why do MSE Towers not mention the Nationwide instant access Flexclusive 4.25% ISA?

Because most MSE "NEWS" is about 5 days behind the forums!
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Is it worth switching? I have on several previous anniversaries and the rate drops like a stone quickly and you're not really any better off - maybe I've been unlucky but it usually is a lot of hassle for very little gain...
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wymondham wrote: »
    Is it worth switching? I have on several previous anniversaries and the rate drops like a stone quickly and you're not really any better off - maybe I've been unlucky but it usually is a lot of hassle for very little gain...

Well, you need to keep on top of the rates and when they expire. Probably have to switch every one or two years - - there's very few good offerings now without a bonus. If you have a choice between less than 1% interest and 4%+, surely it is worth the 'hassle'? Personal choice, though.
  • rachelonna
    rachelonna Posts: 85 Forumite
    I just opened a new ISA with Barclays at 3.05% - minimum of £1, unlimited withdrawal - unlike the other top rates. Not sure why these aren't included in the MSE best buys?
  • ejv
    ejv Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    rachelonna wrote: »
    I just opened a new ISA with Barclays at 3.05% - minimum of £1, unlimited withdrawal - unlike the other top rates. Not sure why these aren't included in the MSE best buys?

The advantage of this one is its low minimum deposit.
    AFAIK all easy access ISAs allow unlimited withdrawals.
    I think MSE ranks the ISAs with the highest rate,assuming most would go for full/nearly full subscription amount
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    rachelonna wrote: »

At 1.2% below the best instant access ISA, it's hardly a best buy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure