rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    me too, any updated info please
    thanks
    Nice to save.
  • samtheman1k
    Options
    If you are extending the the pipe, then any Gas Safe can do it I think as NG/SGN are responsible upto the isolation valve. If you wish to shorten it, i.e. modify NG/SGN network, then see the OP.
  • flora48
    flora48 Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe an old thread but things do not seem to have improved. After trying to negotiate the very user unfriendly website for the Nat Grid I have now been given a date for moving my meter back to back to an outside wall, the date is 11 weeks from my application date. Grrrrr!!! This is holding up work on our renovation and costing us megabucks in additional storage fees too.
    My builder is doing the excavation work and supplying the meter box, Nat Grid move the meter, and my supplier Southern Electric need to reconnect, or so I have been told. So far have paid £289 for the 'other option' on the NG website application,will have builder costs to pay too. What a faff!
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This seems to be a regular issue.

To try and clarify....

1)If you are having an extension built and the building of said extension means that the incoming gas service pipe would be enclosed /built over/within the new floor of the extension,then it needs to be relocated to outside. It is not permissible to have a live gas service pipe of any appreciable length contained within a domestic dwelling.
    If it gets discovered later..the chances are it might get cut off and you will be left gas less.

The builder/inspector should be well aware of this and factor it into the costs

2)The company who own the supply network and your service pipe are the only ones authorised to undertake modifications to service pipes and mains. They may well devolve this work to one of their contractors.

3) A lot of the cost involved is in re-instatement of the public highway. Often a new service has to be run from roadside to house. Excavations in the public highway are expensive and need to be reinstated to the required spec laid down by the local authority. That is the expensive bit..not a bit of pipe.

4) No person may interfere with,move,relocate or refix a gas meter without the permission of the meter asset manager.

5) For short distance moves,the meter may generally only be moved to within the distance of the inlet flex between the ECV and meter. In some circumstances,it is permissible to extend the inlet using copper or steel tubing.

Dont blame the gas transporter..blame the system.

When we used to have the mighty national asset known as the British Gas Corporation,much of this stuff was done for free or discounted rates. Now you have freedom of choice,a free market and the costs to go with it.

No one does anything for nothing any more.

HTH
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • jpower_2
    Options
    We also have the problem of a new extension over an existing incoming gas service pipe. Does anyone know under exactly which regulation this is not allowed? I have accessed the following manual from National Grid TPMMSL-1 Edition 2 on the turecruitment.co.uk website (sorry, as a new user I am not allowed to post the link) and found that we do not contravene any of their requirements and also have an installation in accordance with their diagram and yet they say that the rules are that there can be no live gas pipes under living accommodation.
    But where is this written? Surely from a safety viewpoint, if the gas somehow gets through the PE pipe, it will be contained within the steel pipe?

• hunnie
    hunnie Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our gas meter is in the cupboard under the stairs. We have an extension on that side of the house so it's not against an outside wall.

My son had a terraced house where the meter was in the living room. But it was against the front outside wall.
  • smohammad
    Options
    I want to have my meter moved but don't want to pay £450

can i legally get someone to move it cheaper, aslong as it is done correctly?

please sent me a queta as soon as possible

thanks
  • Hosh
    Options
    Bit surprised that the people asking questions here have not looked here...:

Do a search for 'move gas meter' and click the Ofgem link
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    Options
    Hosh wrote: »
    Bit surprised that the people asking questions here have not looked here...:

Do a search for 'move gas meter' and click the Ofgem link

Not a lot of people are aware of it that is why

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/ncamm/Pages/ncamm.aspx#moving
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    Options
    jpower wrote: »
    We also have the problem of a new extension over an existing incoming gas service pipe. Does anyone know under exactly which regulation this is not allowed? I have accessed the following manual from National Grid TPMMSL-1 Edition 2 on the turecruitment.co.uk website (sorry, as a new user I am not allowed to post the link) and found that we do not contravene any of their requirements and also have an installation in accordance with their diagram and yet they say that the rules are that there can be no live gas pipes under living accommodation.
    But where is this written? Surely from a safety viewpoint, if the gas somehow gets through the PE pipe, it will be contained within the steel pipe?

Please call 0845 605 6677 and ask for a check for safety on this and an engineer will come out from the transporter and check it for you.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure