DRO advice needed please

Hello,

I’m hoping to apply for a DRO to write off previous debts, old CC from student days, overdrafts from the same, a couple of unpaid bills from years gone by that an ex assured he was paying... until debt collection letters came to my door. Nothing recent, no overdraft on my current account. I have a few questions if anyone can help please.

Firstly, my current account has no overdraft facilities, can I still continue to use this? I’ve seen people talking about changing their bank accounts, is this only if they have an overdraft to clear?

I also have a joint account with my husband. Again, no overdraft. Do I need to come off of this account? I’d rather not, as it’s an account with perks like travel insurance/breakdown cover. I could upgrade my personal account if need be but would I be allowed to have an upgraded account with a DRO?

How badly is it going to screw me over in the future? My husband and I currently rent, but we would like to buy in the future (6yrs +), will we ever be able to get a mortgage if I do this?

We have two cars which we need. A banger worth less than 200 and a family car. We live rurally with no public transport and both go in different directions for school runs and work. Neither car is in my name but the instance policy on the family car is in my name. Is this a problem?

Thanks in advance, I feel a bit overwhelmed with this whole thing.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,850 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

A debt relief order is personal to you, and only the debts/creditors you include in it are bound by its rules, although you must include all your qualifying debts.

You can continue to bank anywhere, as long as the bank is OK with this, and you have no debts with them, your joint account may cause a problem for your partner as it is a shared account, your DRO may affect his credit file.

If the cars are not in your name, then its not a problem, you can still pay for insurance etc in your name, your only restrictions are the cars value, up to £1000, (not applicable to you as they are not in your name) assets of £1000, and the £50 disposable income figure.

All else carries on as normal.

How long will this effect you, well the answer is 6 years, once your DRO completes after 12 months, your debts are written off, your creditors must then mark your accounts as settled or closed, and the default date must not be later than the date of your insolvency, in my experience you will have to chase them up to do this, as a lot of them are unaware of how to mark credit files after a DRO.

Six years after your DRO was granted, all trace of it and the debts included within it, will be removed from your file as if they were never there.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thank you, that’s really helpful. I will ring my bank to see their stance on my account, and take myself off the joint account. Do you know if I would need to stay off the joint account permanently or would I be able to go back on it in a month/after the DRO 12 month term?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,850 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thank you, that’s really helpful. I will ring my bank to see their stance on my account, and take myself off the joint account. Do you know if I would need to stay off the joint account permanently or would I be able to go back on it in a month/after the DRO 12 month term?

It would be at the banks discretion, remember, even though you are discharged from a DRO after 12 months, the entry remains on your credit file for a further 5 years, although it will say satisfied or settled.

Its always difficult to ascertain the potential damage your file could do to his.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure