Barclays blue rewards

Comments

• clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can you get rewards on multiple a/cs?

I've trawled through old threads but can't find a relevant answer (only ones misunderstanding the question).

Wife & I opened Barclays sole a/cs yesterday (with switches from Nationwide FlexDirect now the 5% has ended).

I could also apply to open a joint Barclays a/c and switch the joint Nationwide a/c into it. Would this attract a reward in either it's double or single form? (N.B. I DO know that you nominate which of the joint a/c holders has the reward wallet when linked to a joint a/c).

The Barclay t's & c's are not clear on muliple a/c but the eligibility criteria does say:
    "To join and remain eligible for Barclays Blue Rewards, you’ll need to have £800 paid into your Barclays current account and pay the £3 fee each month. Rewards are paid monthly into your Blue Rewards Wallet. There’s one wallet per Barclays current account per customer".

This certainly suggests that a second a/c would get it's own rewards into it's own wallet.

I find the following exclusions bit rather ambiguous:
    "This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotional rewards or cashback offer, including any other Double Rewards offer, except where expressly permitted by us. This Offer supersedes/replaces any previous Double Blue Rewards Offer that you may be participating in".

Does this mean no double rewards for a 2nd a/c or for a 2nd switch into a single a/c? I'm tending toward the former.

So it would seem to me that opening our joint a/c in addition to our sole a/cs should provide rewards but probably ouly single ones rather than double.

Has anyone on here managed to get rewards on multiple a/cs (or been refused them)?

Maybe I'll try anyway and post the results when known.
  • clivep
    So we've just applied for a joint a/c.

Interestingly, the header page for applying with Blue Rewards starts a sole application without asking if you want sole or joint. Clicking "Apply Joint" starts application but presumably without Blue Rewards and this needs adding once the a/c is open.

At the end of the application the a/c was not opened (as per the sole a/cs) but rather I received the message "We’ll write to you both in the next few days with the result of your application. If we need any more information, we’ll get in touch with you". Consequently there was no opportunity to enter any switch details.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    clivep wrote: »
    So we've just applied for a joint a/c.

Interestingly, the header page for applying with Blue Rewards starts a sole application without asking if you want sole or joint. Clicking "Apply Joint" starts application but presumably without Blue Rewards and this needs adding once the a/c is open.

At the end of the application the a/c was not opened (as per the sole a/cs) but rather I received the message "We’ll write to you both in the next few days with the result of your application. If we need any more information, we’ll get in touch with you". Consequently there was no opportunity to enter any switch details.

When I switched an account to them earlier this year I had to go into a branch with ID. I phoned them on Thursday to switch another account into that account and was told I need to go into a branch with ID and to do the switch as they do not do switches online or over the phone, I have an appointment at a branch on Monday.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• datz
    datz Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 October 2018 at 7:28PM
    The Barclay t's & c's are not clear on muliple a/c but the eligibility criteria does say:
    "To join and remain eligible for Barclays Blue Rewards, you’ll need to have £800 paid into your Barclays current account and pay the £3 fee each month. Rewards are paid monthly into your Blue Rewards Wallet. There’s one wallet per Barclays current account per customer".

This certainly suggests that a second a/c would get it's own rewards into it's own wallet.

The way blue rewards work is that you receive a singular "wallet". You can only have one blue rewards wallet (accessible through your online banking) and your wife can have another blue rewards wallet (accessible through her online banking).

This wallet is effectively just another 'account' and is listed along with your other Barclays accounts on the online banking system. Only the blue rewards can be paid into it, and you can transfer the money (blue rewards) out of it in a similar fashion to internal transfers between other Barclays accounts.

When you set up blue rewards for the first time, you are instructed to select one of your current accounts to link the scheme to. You want to ensure that you select an account which will meet the rewards criteria (namely £800/month in, plus 2 DDs). Your wife will have to do the same at her end (and her nominated account will also have to meet the criteria seperately).

So, in short, only one blue rewards wallet per customer. And a wallet can only be linked to (and benefit from) just one current account (the one you nominated to do so).

Presumably a joint account can only be linked to a single blue rewards wallet too. Not completely sure on this last bit, so you may want to verify it yourself.

I find the following exclusions bit rather ambiguous:
    "This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotional rewards or cashback offer, including any other Double Rewards offer, except where expressly permitted by us. This Offer supersedes/replaces any previous Double Blue Rewards Offer that you may be participating in".

Does this mean no double rewards for a 2nd a/c or for a 2nd switch into a single a/c? I'm tending toward the former.

The above specifically relates to the stacking of multiple double rewards promotions, because this is not the first time Barclays have offered double rewards. In other words, if you already have double rewards active from any previous offer, and then decide to take up the current offer too, it will effectively just "refresh" the 12 month clock.
  • I don't understand why they bothered having the separate "wallet" if it's only used the rewards and only for cash that can be transferred out at any time then why don't they just pay it into the current account!? Simpler and less admin/accounts etc.

Anyway how many current accounts are you allowed with blue rewards on them? 1 single 1 joint?
  • luiza8
    luiza8 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    In regards to needing 2 direct debits... Do they have any stipulations like the direct debits must be claimed a certain amount of time? Or have been claimed in the past?

I'm thinking of getting boyfriend's PayPal and my own to be claimed by Direct Debit and they are technically Direct Debit's (even if they have never and probably won't ever leave).

Any idea?

Thanks
  • datz
    datz Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 October 2018 at 8:43PM
    luiza8 wrote: »
    In regards to needing 2 direct debits... Do they have any stipulations like the direct debits must be claimed a certain amount of time? Or have been claimed in the past?

I have two seperate DD mandates, each pulling £1 once per calendar month. This satisfies the Barclays criteria for me, so I haven't dug any further.

Not sure if one mandate pulling 2+ times in a month would qualify for Barclays. I might try out of curiosity if noone else can confirm. Overall, I have over 25 mandates (each £1 monthly) at last count. This covers all of my accounts, but I wouldn't mind cutting the number of actual mandates down a little if I can get away with it (because even though my existing DD source seemingly lets me set up unlimited DDs while keeping all of the pulled funds, I don't necessarily want to push my luck with it).
  • Jamsi
    Jamsi Posts: 117 Forumite
    Thank you all for your replies. I have an appointment next week with the bank so will see about turning it on then. :)
  • clivep
    datz wrote: »
    So, in short, only one blue rewards wallet per customer. And a wallet can only be linked to (and benefit from) just one current account (the one you nominated to do so).

Presumably a joint account can only be linked to a single blue rewards wallet too. Not completely sure on this last bit, so you may want to verify it yourself.

Thanks for that Datz.

Is the "only one blue rewards wallet per customer" statement made from your own experience or from any of the t'c & c's you've come across?

When their eligibility criteria state "There’s one wallet per Barclays current account per customer" surely this means...
    1. multiple current current accounts are allowed.
    2. each current account can have it's own wallet.
    3. multiple current accounts cannot share a wallet.
    The deduction would therefore be that you could have multiple wallets for multiple current accounts.

I'll ask in the branch tomorrow when we have our appointments to submit our documents for our switches. Also, if the joint application goes through then I should find out for myself whether or not I can get rewards for this in addition for those for the sole accounts.
  • clivep wrote: »
    Thanks for that Datz.

Is the "only one blue rewards wallet per customer" statement made from your own experience or from any of the t'c & c's you've come across?

When their eligibility criteria state "There’s one wallet per Barclays current account per customer" surely this means...
    1. multiple current current accounts are allowed.
    2. each current account can have it's own wallet.
    3. multiple current accounts cannot share a wallet.
    The deduction would therefore be that you could have multiple wallets for multiple current accounts.

I'll ask in the branch tomorrow when we have our appointments to submit our documents for our switches. Also, if the joint application goes through then I should find out for myself whether or not I can get rewards for this in addition for those for the sole accounts.

Thanks. Please let us know what they say :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure