Credit Card Reclaiming Discussion

Comments

• Hi,

Just to be sure. If you make a claim can the credit card companies close the entire acccount and demand the whole balance?
  • barloo69
    barloo69 Posts: 372 Forumite
    Hi,

Just to be sure. If you make a claim can the credit card companies close the entire acccount and demand the whole balance?

No. I wouldnt have thought so. If they did and stated it was for this reason then this would be deemed an unfair act and you would then go to FOS with a seperate complaint.
    If you see a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck !!!!!! :D
  • I got a reply from capital one saying the £12 charges are correct etc. Should i send a 2nd letter and can anybody point me in the right direction as the 2nd template letter talks of taking the case to court whereas i would rather go through FOS?
    Winging life....
  • barloo69
    barloo69 Posts: 372 Forumite
    I got a reply from capital one saying the £12 charges are correct etc. Should i send a 2nd letter and can anybody point me in the right direction as the 2nd template letter talks of taking the case to court whereas i would rather go through FOS?

Personally I made one up myself, along the lines of .....

I am writing to request that you repay all the late payment fees and/or over limit fees that have been applied to my account.

I do not believe the charges reflect the true cost to XXXX and are unfair and disproportionate. I am therefore requesting a refund based on the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

The charges total £XXX, plus as I believe I have been unlawfully deprived of the money I have calculated £XXX interest at the statutory rate, the amount the court will award.

I therefore ask that you repay me the full amount of £XXXX. I have attached a full schedule of the charges and interest with this document.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days from the date of this letter.

Successfully received ALL my charges refunded albeit it ended up going to the FOS but hey its money I never had in the first place. So bonus.

Keep us posted, how you got on.
    If you see a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck !!!!!! :D
  • mo3710
    mo3710 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi, 1st time on this site so please bare with me! I am currently in a debt management programme to repay loans and credit card debts. can i still try to claim back any charges? these were taken out about 4-5 years ago. thank you
    mo:confused:
  • natweststaffmember
    natweststaffmember Posts: 12,063 Forumite
    mo3710 wrote: »
    Hi, 1st time on this site so please bare with me! I am currently in a debt management programme to repay loans and credit card debts. can i still try to claim back any charges? these were taken out about 4-5 years ago. thank you
    mo:confused:
    Yep, absolutely. You can go back 6 years and in all likelihood it will reduce the overall debt you will pay. Any PPI on any of those loans?
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • natweststaffmember
    I got a reply from capital one saying the £12 charges are correct etc. Should i send a 2nd letter and can anybody point me in the right direction as the 2nd template letter talks of taking the case to court whereas i would rather go through FOS?

Write back to them and state that the OFT report into default fees in April 2006 stated that whilst they were setting a threshold in which they, as the regulator, would not take enforcement action, that ONLY a court can determine a fair fee. To save Captial One additional litigation costs from defending a case in County court, you will settle for(and at this point add in the full amount you are claiming) providing their offer is returned within 14 days from today.

• Thanks for the replies i will write up my next letter! So if they reject this one do i then go to the FOS?
    Winging life....
  • Hi guys

New to the forum although hve been using the templates to try and claim back CC and bank charges from Lloyds. Is it just me or are Lloyds the ultimate in procrastination when dealing with these claims? My timeline is below:

27.04.2009 - Original SAR sent to Lloyds
    03.06.2009 - Schedule received and 859GBP claimed - 642 charges and 217 interest.
    06.06.2009 - Lloyds send standard 'we are concerned so will have to investigate' letter - say it will go to team in Brighton
    06.06.2009 - Send letter back indicating unhappiness with response (wanted offer!)
    10.06.2009 - Lloyds send standard 'we are concerned so will have to investigate' letter - this time, they say it will go to Andover?
    27.06.2009 - Lloyds send me original schedule of charges for a 2nd time.
    01.07.2009 - Send letter to Lloyds to let them know they have 10 days before I put an MCOL in, unless I receive a satisfactory reply.

Is this pretty much standard practice from Lloyds because from looking at the forums they seem to be hard to deal with. Have I dealt with them correctly? They seem just to be trying to drag things:mad: out - I called them at Brindley Place in Birmingham and was told that they have 8 weeks in which to investigate - although what they need to investigate I don't know, they know what they've charged me - they sent me the bl**dy charges!. First time posting so please be gentle with me but any information would be gratefully accepted.
  • natweststaffmember
    waynespurs wrote: »
    Hi guys

New to the forum although hve been using the templates to try and claim back CC and bank charges from Lloyds. Is it just me or are Lloyds the ultimate in procrastination when dealing with these claims? My timeline is below:

27.04.2009 - Original SAR sent to Lloyds
    03.06.2009 - Schedule received and 859GBP claimed - 642 charges and 217 interest.
    06.06.2009 - Lloyds send standard 'we are concerned so will have to investigate' letter - say it will go to team in Brighton
    06.06.2009 - Send letter back indicating unhappiness with response (wanted offer!)
    10.06.2009 - Lloyds send standard 'we are concerned so will have to investigate' letter - this time, they say it will go to Andover?
    27.06.2009 - Lloyds send me original schedule of charges for a 2nd time.
    01.07.2009 - Send letter to Lloyds to let them know they have 10 days before I put an MCOL in, unless I receive a satisfactory reply.

Is this pretty much standard practice from Lloyds because from looking at the forums they seem to be hard to deal with. Have I dealt with them correctly? They seem just to be trying to drag things:mad: out - I called them at Brindley Place in Birmingham and was told that they have 8 weeks in which to investigate - although what they need to investigate I don't know, they know what they've charged me - they sent me the bl**dy charges!. First time posting so please be gentle with me but any information would be gratefully accepted.
    Please tell me you haven't put together the credit card charges with the bank charges and sent one reclaim letter?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport