The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Cheap car hire article discussion

Comments

• RFB_2
    RFB_2 Posts: 25
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You may find it better to rent a single car for the entire period.
    Depending on the rental company you could be hit with 1-way rental charges that exceed the cost of keeping the car for the week in Vegas (and you may wish to escape from Vegas during the week). 4x4 and convertibles will be much more expensive to rent than normal cars.

If you rent from this country CDW and SLI will normally be included in rental rates while renting in the US they are expensive add-ons. You can get annual policies from Insurance4carhire which would be much cheaper for you (but check for maximum rental length restrictions).

I would definitely shop around before you go - the web and phone is likely to be better than trawling the offices.

Choose off airport locations since they have lower facility charges.
  • jscalow
    jscalow Posts: 297 Forumite
    Just rented a dodge caliber http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-summary.aspx?rt=846 for 10 days in Florida for £158 including - Unlimited number of drivers over the age of 25, CDW, SLI, UMP, Unlimited Mileage, Airport Fees, Local Taxes, Free Tank of Fuel. No excess.
    I used fifteen02-http://fifteen02.com/ as recommended by other mse. After shopping around I am happy that I have a good deal.
  • This Co appears as the cheapest car hire on several websites, but be careful, as I was presented with a bill for 27.22 Euros when returning a cat to Avis at Pisa airport yesterday. This was for 14 days "Road Tax" and came as a bit of a shock at the end of the holiday.
    The (very) small print does say this is excluded, but is very easy to overlook.
    Avis said they had received "several" complaints about auto-europe for the same thing.
    Cheers

The Dame
  • We are off to Ireland early next week and I need urgent help please.

We are hiring a car from Dan Dooley in Belfast, mainly because we will be going into Southern Ireland for a couple of days, and that seems to cost a lot more with some companies, we want two drivers, i thought I would get the separate CDW cover short period from company mentioned in Martins article, Worldwide Travel or similar, they charge £15.75 for the 7 days for us both, incl cover in UK.

dan Doolet were charging £8 per day to waive cdw = £54

When I told Dan Dooley we did not want their cover they said they will have to take a £2000 deposit from our card. I am rather worried about this, can anyone tell me, is this standard practice?

My husband is saying lets just pay with the car hire company, but just not sure what to do, also the separate policy seems to give more cover, ie windscreens tyres.
    any help much appreciated, thanks
  • alnorris
    alnorris Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi everyone,

I really need your help. We're going to Spain for just 4 days at the end of Oct and have hired a car. However, their policy states that we have to pay for a full tank of fuel on arrival (approx 50-80 Euros). We're really annoyed about this as there's no way we'll get through that amount of fuel in 4 days. It also probably means that we're paying over the odds for the fuel! :mad: However, having looked at other comparison sites, this seems to be the case for most of them. Does anyone know of a reputable car hire company that doesn't do this?

Really hope you can help.

Thanks,

Anne
    x
  • alnorris wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I really need your help. We're going to Spain for just 4 days at the end of Oct and have hired a car. However, their policy states that we have to pay for a full tank of fuel on arrival (approx 50-80 Euros). We're really annoyed about this as there's no way we'll get through that amount of fuel in 4 days. It also probably means that we're paying over the odds for the fuel! :mad: However, having looked at other comparison sites, this seems to be the case for most of them. Does anyone know of a reputable car hire company that doesn't do this?

Really hope you can help.

Thanks,

Anne
    x

We recently hired in Ibiza for 4 days - collect full return full. We used CENTAURO SPAIN via Holiday Autos.

Gail
  • Hi There,

Does anyone ahve any experience of car seats when using Carhire 3000? On the website it's covered under special requests but then goes on to say they cannot guarantee the availabilty? I would hate to arrive and there be no seat??:eek:

Many Thanks Doug
  • leachyd
    leachyd Posts: 851 Forumite
    On a cheap trip to Spain last summer i used www.economycarhire.com. Completely hassle free, cheap (under £90 for a corsa for the week) no massive deposit or messing around.
  • Was just checking out car hire for my summer hol, and spotted a great deal with Expedia. If you are looking for a larger car, you can get a free £60 voucher to spend on expedia flight+hotel bookings.
    I'm travelling with 3 kids, so this is perfect!!
  • hi there

Has anyone heard of nationwidehire4u ? Cant find any reviews for them and we wish to hire a merc from them for 40th birthday present.

manys thanks

hueknight
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport