Nationwide savings account

Options

Comments

• Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    oscarward wrote: »
    Yes you could do that, but is it worth the hassle for £80 ish per year?

£10 a month for clicking a few buttons. You must be loaded if you think that isnt worth it.
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    oscarward wrote: »
    Yes you could do that, but is it worth the hassle for £80 ish per year?

I think you might be on the wrong forum.
  • VDOT47
    VDOT47 Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely works - although as someone says above, you need to do the transfer from a non-Nationwide account (despite the small print not mentioning this when the accounts were opened) so if you open one each for you and spouse then you need to send the money to one account then back to a non-Nationwide account before transferring back to the second account.

£20 pcm across two accounts for 10 minutes logging in and out of accounts seems like it is worth it to me! And access to regular savers at 5% too.

When the first year expires though the interest rate reverts to a basic rate and I'm not sure yet if there is a way to open new 5% current accounts with Nationwide, or if it is a one-hit thing which you can only do for one year?
    Original Mortgage (Feb '17) £269,995
    Current Mortgage (End 11/19) £226,790
    End Date November 2039 Original End Date February 2042
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VDOT47 wrote: »
    When the first year expires though the interest rate reverts to a basic rate and I'm not sure yet if there is a way to open new 5% current accounts with Nationwide, or if it is a one-hit thing which you can only do for one year?
    The latter, as per https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexdirect/rates-fees-overdrafts:
    If you have previously held a FlexDirect account you will not be entitled to the introductory rate or offer under a new agreement and therefore you will receive the standard 1% gross p.a/ AER (variable) interest rate.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 October 2018 at 6:42PM
    Options
    VDOT47 wrote: »
    although as someone says above, you need to do the transfer from a non-Nationwide account (despite the small print not mentioning this when the accounts were opened)
    It's been included in the account T&Cs since the account was (re)launched with 5% AER many years ago.
    Again, it's been included for in the account T&Cs as shown above.

Do you see a pattern developing here? Time to start reading the information you're ticking the box to say you've read (and understood). :)
  • VDOT47
    VDOT47 Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    Fair points!
    Original Mortgage (Feb '17) £269,995
    Current Mortgage (End 11/19) £226,790
    End Date November 2039 Original End Date February 2042
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    I've just automated this with standing orders between two of my accounts. The money pays into Nationwide from an external and then immediately is payed out to another account - no need to log in every month :)
  • unkster
    Options
    Hi i've had the flex direct account for a few years now, just kept it open after the first year with a couple of quid in there so i could carry on with the 5% regular saver. I'm now looking to open up a joint one, does anyone know if i could get a 2nd regular saver with this joint account?
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,969 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    unkster wrote: »
    Hi i've had the flex direct account for a few years now, just kept it open after the first year with a couple of quid in there so i could carry on with the 5% regular saver. I'm now looking to open up a joint one, does anyone know if i could get a 2nd regular saver with this joint account?
    You (singular) can't have two RSs but you(plural) can have one each.
  • unkster
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    You (singular) can't have two RSs but you(plural) can have one each.

ok let me rephrase that, would we be able to have a joint linked regular saver, or would we be excluded because i had my own one? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure