Fee for Drop Off, Pick Up in Airports

Options
HI all,

I have to go often to Bournemouth airport to pick up or drop of friends. In case you are not familiar with it, there are signs at the entry saying that you need to park in the designated areas (and pay) in order to pick up or drop of passengers. In occasions I have drop off friends outside for them to walk in but they make it difficult (and dangerous) to walk in with no pavement to walk on.
Once I picked up my friend just in front of the barriers and turned around without any problems as the security guard was out.
My question is, is it legal for me to do that? I know the airport management will not give me John Lewis vouchers exactly for doing that to do that but could they issue a fine?
I believe that there are many small airports with the same configuration.
Thanks

Comments

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you drive on a private road they can make the rules so first see if the road is owned by the airport.
    If you get a 'fine' for doing as you suggest contest it using help from Pepipoo or https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think if I were you I'd just pay the £3 for 30 minutes and relax.

Be pleased that your friends are going from Bournemouth. If it was Luton (£3 for 10 minutes and £1 for every extra minute) then you'd have something to complain about.
  • radoslaff
    radoslaff Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Well, £3 for 30 minutes is just as bad as £3 for 10 minutes. It's a drop off after all. Nobody needs 30 minutes for a drop off. When I drop somebody off I don't stay there to wave to the plane. These fees are outrageous in any case.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Options
    Cardiff airport is still free for a 10 minute drop off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure