Aqua Credit Card

Hi I applied and got what I thought was a 6 month 0% balance transfer card, it arrived today, I phoned up activated and registered it and went to make a balance transfer however they said I am very sorry there is no promotional rates on the account. I wouldn't of gone through with the application if I known this! :mad::mad::mad:

Anyway is it best to chop the card up and leave the card active with a credit limit but no balance, will this have a positive impact on credit file due to using less percentage of credit available to you?

Comments

• To build up credit history, I would suggest keeping the card and using it for things that are within your normal monthly budget (groceries, petrol etc).

I would then pay off the balance in full, each month, after the statement has arrived and before the due date. The easiest way to do this, is to pay by direct debit the full balance.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Might as well keep the card open since closing it now will only hurt your file. I would do as Willing2Learn has suggested - make your usual monthly purchases on it and pay it off in full. There is nothing wrong with having a card sitting idle but without any activity on the card there is no information available to lenders to show that you can manage credit well, so the benefit to your credit file would be minimal.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    They did this to me too, I complained, they apologised and gave me the correct interest free period, then they upped the interest rate a few months after the interest free period had ended. I cleared the card and haven't used it since.
  • Not everyone is eligible for the offers - so if you didn't get it it's because you didn't meet the criteria to qualify for it
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    The promotional rates would have been detailed in your pre-contractual information / Summary Box stating the promotional rate and then the interest rate thereafter.

What has most likely happened is, you have seen the offer advertised online, gone to the website and applied for it, but were not offered a promotional rate. If it were a genuine mistake, they would have rectified this when you called them, otherwise they would be breaching their own agreement with you.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure