TUI plane seat reservation

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    But getting a bus pass is very much a choice - as you have to apply. I know many people who qualify, but choose not to have one.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

A bit silly not to apply as it serves other purposes. Ours gives discounts at certain shops and doubles as a library card.
    Maybe those people who don't apply for their bus pass don't have a great service.
    Or have always used their car.

I choose to use my bus pass.
    I choose to give up my seat on a bus to those less able to stand.
    I choose to pay the optional fee to book specific seats if it suits me (depends on flight duration).
    I do not and will not choose to give up my plane seat to someone who wants to sit with their travelling partner(s) but won't pay the fee.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 18 October 2018 at 6:46PM
    Pollycat wrote: »
    You really don't choose to leave your bus pass at home. The only reason you'd have to pay is if you forgot to take it. That's not choosing to pay.
    Of course pensioners can choose to pay! They might not believe in the subsidy. Loads of people don't claim benefits they are entitled to, esp pension credit, sometimes because they aren't aware, sometimes because of "pride" or sometimes because they don't feel they "need" it and think benefits should only be for those in real need.
    The rules on bus passes are very clear.

As for paying for seats together on buses, that simply doesn't exist.
    It does on planes.
    If you need to be sat together on a plane for whatever reason, you should pay and not expect others to be moved to suit you.
    Well I will move to accomodate people with greater needs. Whether on a bus, train, plane, coach, tram or hovercraft. Only yesterday I was on a bus and a pensioner got on with a small child (both probably travelled free) and there were no seats together, so I moved to enable them to sit together. I didn't whinge about who paid and who didn't. I would have done the same on a plane.

And it only needs a few people out of a plane load with my attitude rather than yours and those who need seats together will get them.
  • Pollycat
    zagfles wrote: »
    Of course pensioners can choose to pay! They might not believe in the subsidy. Loads of people don't claim benefits they are entitled to, esp pension credit, sometimes because they aren't aware, sometimes because of "pride" or sometimes because they don't feel they "need" it and think benefits should only be for those in real need. Well I will move to accomodate people with greater needs. Whether on a bus, train, plane, coach, tram or hovercraft.
    Only yesterday I was on a bus and a pensioner got on with a small child (both probably travelled free) and there were no seats together, so I moved to enable them to sit together.
    I didn't whinge about who paid and who didn't. I would have done the same on a plane.

And it only needs a few people out of a plane load with my attitude rather than yours and those who need seats together will get them.

And I would have done exactly the same.
    Which is why I don't agree that bus travel and plane travel is the same thing.
    You carry on giving up your seat on the plane. :T
    I won't.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    British Airways don't charge to allocate seats to certain classes of disabled passengers and they can choose their seats before general seat allocation opens.

I've fallen victim to this twice where they've tried to move me (the disabled person) and not my husband out of the bulkhead area to accommodate friends of the air crew (no babies in sight). Obviously we had to complain at the airport and have the whole scheme undone as I can't actually access the rest of the plane, being a paraplegic. You'd think them having the special lift and everything on standby would serve as some special reminder that they were reserving that seat for a reason.

On the return flight they were moving me for a baby who was booked on standby, obviously it's unfortunate that someone's pitched up at LAX at the last minute with an infant but I'm sure there are other bulkhead seats not being utilised by the only wheelchair user on the flight, move one of them. Miraculously there was.

Then Heathrow to Glasgow, sorry but the plane was overbooked and everyone else booked in before you. Well that would be difficult given check in opened when we were in the sky so we actually checked in over 16 hours ago in LAX as this is a through flight, you better find me a flight home as I'm not waiting about Heathrow for hours. Oh **** yes Mrs X we'll get you on the flight, we flew home "business". (Don't know why anyone pays for that on such a short flight).
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2018 at 10:54AM
    Just checked-in for our Thomson Cruise flights.

Return flight from Bridgetown in on a Dreamliner. It's almost full, only the odd seat spare. We're miles apart lol.

But it's an overnight flight....I'll sleep, she'll probably be a nuisance.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    British Airways don't charge to allocate seats to certain classes of disabled passengers and they can choose their seats before general seat allocation opens.

I've fallen victim to this twice where they've tried to move me (the disabled person) and not my husband out of the bulkhead area to accommodate friends of the air crew (no babies in sight). Obviously we had to complain at the airport and have the whole scheme undone as I can't actually access the rest of the plane, being a paraplegic. You'd think them having the special lift and everything on standby would serve as some special reminder that they were reserving that seat for a reason.

On the return flight they were moving me for a baby who was booked on standby, obviously it's unfortunate that someone's pitched up at LAX at the last minute with an infant but I'm sure there are other bulkhead seats not being utilised by the only wheelchair user on the flight, move one of them. Miraculously there was.

Then Heathrow to Glasgow, sorry but the plane was overbooked and everyone else booked in before you. Well that would be difficult given check in opened when we were in the sky so we actually checked in over 16 hours ago in LAX as this is a through flight, you better find me a flight home as I'm not waiting about Heathrow for hours. Oh **** yes Mrs X we'll get you on the flight, we flew home "business". (Don't know why anyone pays for that on such a short flight).
    Sounds like you got sorted in the end. Even if fellow passengers won't accomodate your needs, airlines will (though maybe with a struggle).

As a matter of interest, how do you find other public transport compared to flying?
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like you got sorted in the end. Even if fellow passengers won't accomodate your needs, airlines will (though maybe with a struggle).

As a matter of interest, how do you find other public transport compared to flying?

It depends, the ferry that "island hops" knows me and just lets me use the vehicle ramp to board before they let the cars on, then I use a lift to get onto the deck.

Buses all have hydraulics that let them meet the pavements so I can wheel on. The only problem is prams in the wheelchair spaces but the wording on Scottish buses is "this area must be vacated for a wheelchair user" and the bus can't move until I'm parked with my back to the driver so the bus just doesn't move until the buggy is collapsed and moved. We are mega rural so the bus is hourly at peak times so waiting on the next one isn't an option.

Trains are fine, you pre-book assistance and they set up a portable ramp to put you on the right carriage. Sometimes a bike is in the wheelchair space but bikes are supposed to pre book as well so if they've not booked the space the guard usually tells them to move. They can't move me in this situation as they run the risk of the other station not know where to find me to bring me back off the train.

Coaches are the worst. They still involve three or four steps to get on so I need fireman lifted onto and off of the coach. Husband usually does that. I'm surprised that's not been legislated against yet.
  • pingu
    pingu Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pollycat wrote: »
    So you won't pay to sit together even though your wife is a 'very nervous flyer) but would be ok with someone who has paid to be moved to accommodate you both?
    Nice attitude you have there.
    nothing wrong with my attitude if you are fool enough to pay then keep paying! You did not read my comment properly check in told me there were seat available BUT they were WAITING/HOPING there will be paying customers (like you) i didn't ask to give someones seat who already paid:mad:

when holiday/flights are booked airlines know who and how many flying so could easily allocate seats(schedule airlines do) but they are greedy!
    biggest con going charging for seats as all budget airlines deliberatly try to separate faimilies to make them pay a well known fact:)
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • Pollycat
    Sounds like you got sorted in the end.
    Even if fellow passengers won't accomodate your needs, airlines will (though maybe with a struggle).

I think if you re-read Glaswejen's post she gets priority choice of seats on BA (no mention of her flying other airlines so we don't know how they handle it ) so it wouldn't be a case of someone bagging one of the few seats that are suitable for her and refusing to move.
    Being a 'nervous flyer' is not imho a disability.
  • Pollycat
    pingu wrote: »
    nothing wrong with my attitude if you are fool enough to pay then keep paying! You did not read my comment properly check in told me there were seat available BUT they were WAITING/HOPING there will be paying customers (like you) i didn't ask to give someones seat who already paid:mad:

when holiday/flights are booked airlines know who and how many flying so could easily allocate seats(schedule airlines do) but they are greedy!
    biggest con going charging for seats as all budget airlines deliberatly try to separate faimilies to make them pay a well known fact:)

I did read your comment correctly.
    You said that the airline may move someone who has paid to accommodate your 'nervous flyer' wife - although TBH, your post is not exactly clear.
    Holiday companies (and fyi it's not just 'holiday companies who charge, lots of scheduled airlines do too) offer a chargeable service.
    Lots of people aren't bothered whether they sit together or not.
    Some are solo passengers.
    It's an extra revenue stream for airlines.
    Why should I subsidise your flight cost?
    FTR, I pay for seats on long-haul flights if the airline charges.
    Not because I need to sink my fingers into my OH's arm for the duration of the flight or can't bear to be parted from him for one minute.
    It's because we've worked out what seats suit us best - and it's not side by side.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure