how can i watch uk tv whilst in spain ?

soon to stay in spanish apartment for a couple of weeks , that has tv with spanish channels only.

How can i get uk channels ?

Hearing of VPN ... express VPN ....Windscribe ??

Not techie so don't know where to start !

I've got laptop with windows 7 & smartphone android.

Help appreciated !

thanks

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If the apartment has broadband you could use a VPN , to fool on-line services like BBC I player, ITV hub, etc. that the device wanting access is located within the UK and not Spain, I wouldn't think using mobile data to do this a good idea unless you know for sure that this data use would be included in your package and not charged for separately.
  • Do you have Sky? If so just download the Sky Go app & connect it to the TV with an HDMI cable - Sky Go works across the EU.
  • Iniltous ... thanks . How do i "use VPN" ?

Markymids ... no. don't have Sky
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2018 at 11:30PM
    As fas as I know, you sign up with a VPN provider ( free ones are available but I've no idea if they are any good) , you download their VPN software onto your device , enter the user details you get after signing up, and presumably you select the country you want your device to appear to be located in ( so presumably somewhere you would select the 'U.K.' ) , this would make your device appear as if it's got a UK IP address, so when you go to a UK website , it wouldn't reject you as it would if you had a Spanish IP addres..you wouldn't be limited to UK you could pick an American server IP and watch American broadcasters catch up services.

If you have Netflicks and logged in , using your VPN to look like you are in America the shows /films etc are what you would see as an Amercian Netficks customer, so a wider choice than UK Netflicks, there was chat that some streaming services were blocking VPN connections , but I don't know if that is the case or not
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    iniltous wrote: »
    ( free ones are available but I've no idea if they are any good)

They are not worth it even if they paid you to use them.

you download their VPN software onto your device , enter the user details you get after signing up, and presumably you select the country you want your device to appear to be located in ( so presumably somewhere you would select the 'U.K.' ) , this would make your device appear as if it's got a UK IP address, so when you go to a UK website , it wouldn't reject you as it would if you had a Spanish IP addres.

Generally, yes You want a provider with many choices and servers in many countries.

you wouldn't be limited to UK you could pick an American server IP and watch American broadcasters catch up services.

In theory. In practice much harder. Detecting you are using a vpn is possible. BBC, Netflix, Amazon are all at it. As such you need a big vpn provider with many server options. Preferably one that gives info on which ones to connect to to use streaming rather than leaving you too it!

If you have Netflicks

Then you have something no-one else has! You are probably also the sort of person they buiy "whiskers" cat food ;-)

using your VPN to look like you are in America the shows /films etc are what you would see as an Amercian customer, so a wider choice than UK

Diffrerent choice, all areas of netflix are different any carry different things. The UK one has things the US does not. And so on.

there was chat that some streaming services were blocking VPN connections , but I don't know if that is the case or not

As above. It is and you are going to end up playing cat and mouse and need a vpn company prepared to change servers asround constantly as detenction gets better or ranges are banned.

Of course if you only care about watching things back home and have decent broadband with good upload there is nothing stopping you having a private vpn back to your machine at home if you set up the software.
  • The_Fat_Controller
    The_Fat_Controller Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2018 at 8:50AM
    For the basic UK channels and 7 day catch-up, try TV Mucho.

https://tvmucho.com/

Only 9.99 Euro for a month.

No messing with VPN, works fine with Windows10 and Chrome browser for me, you just need about 5Mbps broadband.

You can also pay to use more than one device, Android phones are supported.

I am using the basic service in Thailand and it works fine most of the time, the limiting factor is the lack of international bandwidth from my ISP.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks, The Fat Controller. This almost looks too good to be true!

I'm going to try a month's PAYG for £9.99. At £48 a year, it may even be worth doing permanently. I'll decide after my trial,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure