IVA Quagmire - Help

I need advice. My IVA provider sent me a letter end of Aug, stating a creditor had come forward stating I owed them money from way back in 2013 which wasn't included on the original list, I know for a fact I have never dealt with the company so I contacted them saying as much but said I would go away and do my due diligence and double check.

I did, but when I went back to them recently to say it's not mine, they essentially said I waited too long - they've added the debt to my IVA file and now it's my job to prove the debt isn't mine by contacting the creditor directly or by providing documentation the debt isn't mine - well how do you prove something you never had?

Firstly can said IVA company just wash their hands of it like this, secondly has anyone experienced this and what should I do next, is my only recourse to contact the creditor directly and ask for documentation relating to the loan - again to do this I'd have to give them details about myself which I don't particularly want to do as I doubt they have them! It seems catch-22 to me and also what's to stop this happening again further down the line - I'm more than willing to pay my debts but not phantom creditors.

PLEASE HELP.

Comments

• It seems strange that they have claimed if there was no debt. is the debt for a significant amount? Is it possible that it has been sold on hence hwy you don't recall the name of the creditor?

To be included they would have needed to prove the debt to the IVA company. What proof did they provide?

I think contacting them to ask these details would be the best way.
  • Thank you for replying, it is indeed strange. Initially I spoke to my IVA provider and they were helpful and confirmed the debt in question was £1000 - which in the big scheme of things isn't much, however they said it had been applied for online on X date. So I said I'd go away and check as I was 99% sure I'd never had any dealings with Quick Quid, anyway turns out I never have, on the date It was supposedly applied for online, because I keep everything I can tell exactly where I was, what I did, and what I looked at online, none of which were anything to do with the company they're saying I owe 1000 quid to.

It is possible it's some other debt that has been sold on, but the impression and information I got intially doesn't suggest this has happened, nor have I ever had any paperwork relating to said company, and they've never shown up on my credit file or chased the debt before.

It seems my IVA provider has wiped their hands of it and have stuck it on my file and have told me it's now up to me to prove it's not mine, which to my mind doesn't seem logical. I have contacted Quick Quid with the supposed account number of mine asking for further information, proof, paperwork - anything, but of course I've had radio silence from them.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

Strange situation this, however, as they have included this debt in your insolvency, you have two choices, either make an official complaint to your IVA provider, and escalate to the relevant body if they don’t sort the matter to your satisfaction, or you can shrug your shoulders and carry on regardless.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • I think Sourcrates advice is the best. If you have asked the IVA company to request confirmation of what the funds were for and they have refused to do this then make sure your complaint states that. How can you be expected to remember a debt with no details? They are able to ask the creditor this info, for example they may say 'it was to purchase a sofa on buy now pay later the debt was original with X company' and then your memory might be jogged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure