Sole trader - one business or two?

Hi all, hope someone can help point me in the right direction :)

i run website A as Business A, and have done for some time. all suppliers etc are under my/business a's name. Im a sole trader

Im setting up another website, with ive had to call Business B (for domain etc)

they sell the same items etc - but are aimed at different slighty different markets (also correcting some early beginner mistakes) as they sell the same stock, rather than have to reapply for trade accounts, one 'pot' of stock would be used to fulfil orders.

my accountant will be sorting out the tax stuff - but my question is -

How do i show that website B is different to website A, but owned by the same person?? Do i set up as a whole new business for B, and then use A to dropship, or can i Just set up B, and put B branding on my orders, showing that the trading address is the same.

If i set up another ebay account (for instance) - i could call it whatever i wanted and would still be trading as me - either as me or as business A

thanks for your time, hopefully the question will make sense :)
Missing my money saving mojo. :o

39.13/100/month - January 2018 make £10/day

Comments

• Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2018 at 2:14PM
    Hi all, hope someone can help point me in the right direction :)

i run website A as Business A, and have done for some time. all suppliers etc are under my/business a's name. Im a sole trader

Im setting up another website, with ive had to call Business B (for domain etc)

they sell the same items etc - but are aimed at different slighty different markets (also correcting some early beginner mistakes) as they sell the same stock, rather than have to reapply for trade accounts, one 'pot' of stock would be used to fulfil orders.

my accountant will be sorting out the tax stuff - but my question is -

How do i show that website B is different to website A, but owned by the same person?? Do i set up as a whole new business for B, and then use A to dropship, or can i Just set up B, and put B branding on my orders, showing that the trading address is the same.

If i set up another ebay account (for instance) - i could call it whatever i wanted and would still be trading as me - either as me or as business A

thanks for your time, hopefully the question will make sense :)

How do i show that website B is different to website A?
    You are using a different domain name. Presumably the content will be different too, even if it sells the same products. You can put whatever you want on your own websites.

but owned by the same person??
    Certain documents must include details of business ownership. No reason you cannot also put these details on your website, or perhaps you must do? Presumably your terms and conditions, which are found on most wenbsites, will also indiacte who owns the business.

Also, as long as you don't use an anonymiser service, ownership of the domain name will be available for all to see via whois ;)

As a business on ebay, you have to disclose your name and address which will be included on all listings.

Remember, you and whatever business(es) you operate are one and the same - you!
    You can trade under as many different business names as you wish, but as I said, ownershaip particulars must be included in certian documentation.

Edit: The ownership details of the business should be included on your website(s)
    https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/sites/default/files/section_attachments/display_of_ownership_details_tcm21-192819.pdf

Thant includes your existing website ;)
  • horseygirl2014
    horseygirl2014 Posts: 93 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2018 at 3:12PM
    Thank you Aquamania!

This is what i thought, but having someone else show me the bits of paper(!) really helped!

p.s. - all details on current website ;)
    Missing my money saving mojo. :o

39.13/100/month - January 2018 make £10/day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family