First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal

Comments

• RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Anyone been sucessful with this one *without* having to phone them?

I had a First Direct account a few years ago, but could never do anything useful with it as they wanted me to use phone banking. That account "expired" and I tried again about a year ago. Got my debit card through but was unable to setup online banking without phoning them, so I assume that one will go the same way as the first?

I suppose I could use the account as a donor to switch with? ;)
    First Direct currently carry out a telephone interview before opening a current account for anyone. Thereafter it is your choice whether you use telephone banking or just stick to online banking.
  • Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 May 2018 at 12:14PM
    For those that have just joined First Direct, you can log in and view or even carry out your general banking without having to use another device/app to generate a secure password, just click the option on the right side log on without your secure key then enter required details which you would have set up. That's via a PC/laptop, if using a device (FD app) you need to set that up with a separate log on (secure key) to use, this also acts as a secure key generator too, look on the FD webpage it explains how it all works.
    You don't need to generate a secure key everytime you log in as above, only when you want to pay someone new whether it be a new bank account or pay a bill for the first time etc. Once you've set up a payment and sent it you will not need to generate a new secure key each time.
    I've been with FD for many years, and do banking daily, it's easy but secure, they are looking after your money, unlike another bank more recently in the news, I'm with them too.

On to Nationwide, someone mentioned having to use a card reader there everytime to log in, not true you can log in by just enetering your pass number and memorable info if you just click on the relevent part in the log in process. Again like FD you need to generate a secure key or pass number but this time via the card reader if setting up a first time payment to another bank or association, after that it's not needed, mines been sat in the drawer and only needed if setting up new payments etc, I can move money around pay in/pay out without it, again they are protecting your money better than some others.
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Brewer20 wrote: »
    On to Nationwide, someone mentioned having to use a card reader there everytime to log in, not true you can log in by just enetering your pass number and memorable info if you just click on the relevent part in the log in process.
    Are you sure they weren't talking about the Nationwide FULL logon (the logon needed for setting up new payment etc.) That someone probably used the basic logon normally.

BTW: Have a look at page 7 of this thread, if you're not sure who mentioned it.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    OceanSound wrote: »
    BTW: Have a look at page 7 of this thread, if you're not sure who mentioned it.
    FYI: referring to a page number will only work if the reader happens to have their page size set to the same as you! The control panel offers options of 5/10/20/30/40 posts per page, so those using 40 posts per page won't have 7 pages of this thread and for others it'll refer to different subsets of posts....
  • OceanSound
    eskbanker wrote: »
    FYI: referring to a page number will only work if the reader happens to have their page size set to the same as you! The control panel offers options of 5/10/20/30/40 posts per page, so those using 40 posts per page won't have 7 pages of this thread and for others it'll refer to different subsets of posts....
    alright, thanks.
    They'll just have to read through the whole thread then.
  • OceanSound wrote: »
    alright, thanks.
    They'll just have to read through the whole thread then.

Or you could give them the post number if you wanted ...

I opened a FD account recently, also a regular saver, and my old account switched today (received confirmation from both banks), so now waiting to get the bonus payment. I wanted the FD regular saver account anyway, so seems a win-win. :)
  • OceanSound
    Sleazy wrote: »
    Or you could give them the post number if you wanted ...
    Actually, they should have quoted the post to begin with, rather than say 'someone mentioned'. Anyway, I don't see why I should spend time hunting around for a post that has been misread/misinterpreted. I know it was around page 7 (out of 8) on my interface. If they want to work out where they went wrong, they are welcome to do so. I won't be spoon-feeding them and have better things to do frankly.
  • sarah-lou38
    sarah-lou38 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I changed to First Direct recently after the TSB debacle, and the transfer itself has been fine. The only thing I've just realised is that, now my TSB account has closed, I have no access to any old bank statements (I got them online). Is there any way of getting the info if I need it?

Cheers
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I changed to First Direct recently after the TSB debacle, and the transfer itself has been fine. The only thing I've just realised is that, now my TSB account has closed, I have no access to any old bank statements (I got them online). Is there any way of getting the info if I need it?

Cheers

Yes. From the TSB account closure FAQs....

You are entitled to copy statements (your transaction history) after you have closed your account. You can do this at any time during the next five years. We will provide you with your transaction history (at no cost) covering up to five years prior to the date of closure
    When you close an account you can choose:
    • the period (or periods) you want the information to cover, up to five years prior to closure of the account
    • whether you wish to receive it at all at this time
    • to have the information posted to you, or you can visit a specific branch

You will receive your past transaction history in paper format for now

• RG2015 wrote: »
    First Direct currently carry out a telephone interview before opening a current account for anyone..

Do you know when they started doing this?

I have or at least did have an account, but as I can't access it, I have no idea if it is functional yet.
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport