Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 4
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by wallofbeans
    I'm wanting to transfer some money to my Egg card that I got in December last year. I was worried that I only had a 6 week period to use the 0% offer but I called them [Who?] and they said I have until September 2009 to use it, which is a whole lot longer than I thought!
    September 2009? Are you sure? That would be 0% for 20-21 months.

Has anyone done a balance transfer with Mint on their website? I've got all my log in details and everything set up and logged in. Went to the balance transfer page and says something about entering a promo code if you have one. Should I have one for this 0% deal I'm on or will it just automatically be applied to any balance transfer I do? If so, then whats this promo code thing all about?
    Did you sign up with Mint via another website? If so, you may have a promo code.

More importantly, what's become of your credit agreement? If you haven't kept a copy, I would request one first from Customer Services.

IMO, it's more important to be clear about the terms of the deal you've been offered, before you commit yourself to a balance transfer. The Ts & Cs currently advertised on Mint's website may be different from yours.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • kezza121
    I want to transfer my overdraft onto a 0% to allow me to clear it slowly. I just called virgin who said i cant do this on their card. Does anyone know of a way I can do this?
    Thanks!
    Im really confused.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 16th Jan 08, 7:18 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    September 2009? Are you sure? That would be 0% for 20-21 months.

Did you sign up with Mint via another website? If so, you may have a promo code.

More importantly, what's become of your credit agreement? If you haven't kept a copy, I would request one first from Customer Services.

IMO, it's more important to be clear about the terms of the deal you've been offered, before you commit yourself to a balance transfer. The Ts & Cs currently advertised on Mint's website may be different from yours.
    Originally posted by Moggles

i thought it was crazy too but that's what the guy said when i called to ask. i asked him if he was sure coz it seemed like a long time and he said the same thing again... i got the card at the start of december 07...

i signed up directly from the mint website so i guess the promo code box is not applicable to me then...

would my credit agreement have been the sheet my card was glued to when i got it? if so, that may have been thrown out accidently...

yes, i should get a copy and will.
  • rach3557
    Halifax vs capital one
    Hi everyone

I applied for a capital one card to transfer a balance from an A&L card. I choose Capital one because their transfer fee was 1.5% i applied for 3300 but recieved a letter a few days later saying that unfortunatly i did not qualify. I know i have good credit so i applied for a halifax one 3% charge but 0% transfer for 13mths and guess what i was accepted straight away. Why was i turned down for a capital one??? is it because i only wanted 3300???
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by Agaton Sax
    Have been sent an offer from Goldfish for 4.9% p.a. on balance transfers until January 2011 [3% handling charge]. Is this a good deal ? ... I'm a new customer and it's addressed to me.
    If you're forking out loads of interest on other borrowings, it's worth serious consideration.

Much depends on the time needed to clear this debt. HSBC is offering new customers 2.9 % APR on balances shifted for 2 years plus a one-off fee of 2.5 % of the balance transferred. If you can repay in two years or under, this may be a better option
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by peaceandlove
    I've never done a BT before and I need to transfer £7500 on a 0% M and S card by 11.03.08. I read in the article on the main site that the MBNA card range (including Abbey) tend to offer higher credit limits whereas Barclaycard tend to offer less.
    The Abbey card is now underwritten by Santander, so the above no longer applies to Abbey.

Currently, Barclaycard turns away some 50% of applicants and credit limits tend to be low so, if I were you, I would certainly look elsewhere.

I know the credit limit you are offered is down to individual factors, but can anyone tell me how they got on with a balance transfer to an Abbey card and if they got a credit limit much lower than they needed?
    The transition from MBNA to Santander took place last July, so it's still a little too early to say.

Am I more likely to get a higher credit limit on the MBNA Platinum card, as it is a platinum card?
    As you know, this is not an exact science, but any card issued by MBNA (e.g. Alliance & Leicester, MBNA itself, Sony, Virgin) is a reasonable bet. If you're not already a customer, you may want to compare Egg card. An introductory 0% for 15 months is available from Egg and Virgin at the mo
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by Arbie
    I applied for the Egg card (3% fee, 0% for up to 15 months) this evening, but didn't get an instant decision online. Hoping this isn't bad news
    Not necessarily.

For the first time, I'm linked to the other half by a joint current account for bills; and she has considerably more debt (and a lower income) than I do; and I would suspect a poorer credit rating. I really hope this hasn't screwed me over, as the bills account wasn't even a necessity!!
    If you do get turned down, I would keep an open mind about the reason(s).
    Might be an idea if she orders her credit reports though, so she can check what's on there, before you submit another application.
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by kezza121
    I want to transfer my overdraft onto a 0% [credit card] to allow me to clear it slowly. I just called Virgin who said I can't do this on their card. Does anyone know of a way I can do this? Thanks! I'm really confused.
    Well, I transferred a balance from my Virgin card to my current account recently without difficulty. If possible, I would phone back during normal business hours, when you're more likely to be put through to someone who knows what they're up to.

Virgin is one of a handful of rather special cards which will allow you to transfer an overdraft to them, in other words, transfer cash from the credit card to your current account:

The others include:
    cards issued by MBNA (e.g. Alliance & Leicester, MBNA itself, Sony, Virgin) Egg Visa or the Post Office card

Alternatively, you can use Egg Money [not to be confused with the Egg Visa card] in conjunction with any low-rate balance transfer card

Mint periodically issues credit card cheques, which can be paid directly into your current account
    • Arbie
    • By Arbie 17th Jan 08, 12:21 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Arbie
    Not necessarily.

If you do get turned down, I would keep an open mind about the reason(s).
    Might be an idea if she orders her credit reports though, so she can check what's on there, before you submit another application.
    Originally posted by Moggles

Moggles,
    I take it all back...she's off the hook! Egg have come through with a 13k limit, which suits me nicely. Many thanks for your advice.

Rich
  • Moggles
    Congratulations, Arbie & thanks for keeping us posted
  • MPR
    I have moved from England to Ireland.
    Would someone please advise.Will I still be able to claim my bank charges?
    Thanks in advance
    M
  • MPR
    I have moved from England to Ireland.
    Would someone please advise.
    Will I still be able to claim my bank charges?
    Thanks in advance
    M
  • kerry32
    loan to card
    Hi guys,
    can you transfer a balance from a loan to a credit card, to make use of the 0% deals?? or is it only from card to card??
    I have 5000 outstanding on a loan which I cant seem to reduce because of the high apr!!

Thankyou!!!
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by rach3557
    I applied for a Capital One card to transfer a balance from an A&L card. I chose Capital One because their transfer fee was 1.5% [sic]. I applied for 3300 but received a letter a few days later saying that unfortunately I did not qualify. I know I have good credit, so I applied for a Halifax One, 3% charge but 0% transfer for 13 mths and guess what? I was accepted straight away.
    Congratulations!

Why was I turned down for a Capital One???
    Sorry. Only Capital One knows the answer. There could be any number of reasons.

This card requires an "excellent" credit rating. Did you check you could meet the criteria listed on the Capital One website (e.g held a credit card for at least 5 years, credit limit at least 5000 etc.) before you applied?

Is it because I only wanted 3300???
    Unlikely, I would have thought. Some of us were successful having requested no balance transfer at all on application.

It's important to realise, there is NO universal credit rating applicable to all lenders and all products, as lenders score us differently
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by MPR
    I have moved from England to Ireland. Would someone please advise. Will I still be able to claim my bank charges?
    This is not a Best Balance Transfer question. Please post again on the *Reclaim your Bank & Credit Card Charges* board. You'll get lots of replies there.
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by kerry32
    Can you transfer a balance from a loan to a credit card, to make use of the 0% deals or is it only from card to card? I have 5000 outstanding on a loan which I can't seem to reduce because of the high apr!!
    A handful of rather special credit cards have this capability:

A credit card issued by MBNA (e.g. Alliance & Leicester, MBNA itself, Sony, Virgin), Egg card or the Post Office card, will allow you to transfer cash from the card to your current account. From there you could write a cheque to pay off your loan.

Alternatively, you can use Egg Money (not to be confused with Egg card) in conjunction with any low-interest balance transfer card to move funds to your current account.

Mint periodically issues credit card cheques, which can be paid directly into your current account.
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by kerry32
    Can you transfer a balance from a loan to a credit card, to make use of the 0% deals?
    If you will have savings to pay off your credit card balance before the 0% period expires, that's great. The risk in paying off a loan this way is that you can't be sure of another 0% credit card offer with a sufficient credit limit when your current deal ends and the interest rate leaps to anything from 16.9% to 27.9% APR variable. For all we know, 0% BT deals may not be around in 12-15 months time and BT fees could have jumped to 5% or even 6%

Always bear in mind that the reason the card providers can afford to lend you money at 0% for X months is because, more often than not, customers do not clear the debt and end up paying crippling interest when the promotion period ends. This is the main way lenders claw back the cost of these promotions. If this were not the case, these 0% offers would have dried up long ago.

Also, you'll need to factor in the balance transfer fees and check the loan Ts & Cs. Some providers charge an early repayment penalty if the loan is settled in full before the scheduled date.
    Last edited by Moggles; 17-01-2008 at 3:53 PM.
  • sree
    balance transfer between two persons
    Hi,
    I would like to know if i can tranfer a balance on my credit card to another credit card of my brother with a 0% interest on transfers for a year?
    is the transfer allowed between two persons?
  • Moggles
    Originally Posted by sree
    I would like to know if I can transfer a balance on my credit card to another credit card of my brother with 0% interest on transfers for a year?
    Is the transfer allowed between two persons?
    You can switch credit card balances to family, friends or Dave down the pub.
    Your brother should bear in mind though, the person whose card the balance is shifted to, becomes soley liable for the debt. If you were to fall out, he couldn't ask the card company to charge you for any remaining balance.

From the lender's perspective, it's not a problem. Customer services may ask him for the name on the card, but this is purely an additional verification check. At the end of the day, the card company is after his business. They're not really interested in knowing who ran up the debt, as long as your brother, their customer, pays up on time each month!
  • JML45
    I've got an offer from Citibank to transfer balances to my credit card @ 5.9%pa for life with a 3% transfer fee. I have a couple of other cards I'd like to pay off (amounting to about 5000) and I have plenty of available credit on the Citibank card. I've spent ages pouring over this site but I'm still not convinced about how good 5.9%pa for life is. By the way, I have a balance of 2000 on the Cititbank @ 4.9% APR for life.
    I'm not stupid but I've got a real bad cold so any advice would be grately appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

2,313Users online

Martin's Twitter