Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 249
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 23rd May 19, 9:58 AM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    balance transfer could be used to clear an overdraft if you have two credit cards. Money transfer is better but can be done with balance transfer.

Use the non BT card to transfer money to something like paypal, then from paypal to bank to clear the overdraft. Then BT from the card used on paypal to BT card.
    • FirstTimer4Me
    • By FirstTimer4Me 23rd May 19, 1:50 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    FirstTimer4Me
    Hello,

I'm not that clued up on interest rates so looking for some help,

I have a Barclaycard Platinum Vis CC, credit limit £8K, balance £7K

Due to employment / health issues, I'm now making the minimum monthly payments pm, currently, BC charge 25.2% apr - 1.89% pm,

Iíve called BC (off shore) and theyíve refused to lower the interest rate

Given my CC limit & outstanding balance, am I able to get a balance transfer to another CC company?
    • Hayleyb1983
    • By Hayleyb1983 4th Jun 19, 9:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hayleyb1983
    Old debt first?
    i have an MBNA card that has half of the balance at standard APR and the other half on a promotional rate. I have been offered another balance transfer with a different existing card company which I would like to take advantage of, but my questions is will MBNA transfer the old debt over and leave the promotional balance as it hasnít expired yet? Or do they move over the newest debt? It only makes sense for me to do the transfer if I can transfer the old debt but I canít find the answer anywhere.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Jun 19, 9:31 PM
    • 22,986 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    zx81
    It will pay off the highest rate debt.
    • CAndrew
    • By CAndrew 12th Jun 19, 12:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CAndrew
    Received Cash Back
    Anybody take up the HSBC 32 month 0% 1.4% fee from here that claimed here would be a £25 cashback through MSE link?

I did and am struggling to get HSBC to honour it. Anybody else been successful or had same issue? The deal is not on here anymore but wasnít long ago it was.
    Originally posted by Daggo87
    Like you, I was wondering about my Cash Back and could no longer find the relevant page on MSE.
    I took out my HSBC Credit Card on Jan 14th and finally received the £25 Cash Back on May 31st - I didn't have to chase HSBC for it.
    • martindevon
    • By martindevon 18th Jun 19, 2:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    martindevon
    I contacted them by email they tried to get me to call them .I declined and told them i want reply in writing. I was advertised on thier web site you did not need to use link to get it. I had to chase first direct in past for similar issue. will keep at them
    • thewad
    • By thewad 1st Jul 19, 7:39 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    thewad
    My wife has just got the BC 0% for 20 months card...when transfers her balance from her other card she will still have plenty left....can she balance transfer my card too.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat.
    • Davoe
    • By Davoe 1st Jul 19, 7:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Davoe
    Using the cash advance to pay off the same credit card
    Hi
    I have just had a promotion through of a cash advance at 0% fee for 18 months 1.9% fee. Has anyone got any idea if I can pay off the debt on the card with the same card offering the cash advance? I assume it will pay off the highest rate first?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Jul 19, 7:58 PM
    • 22,986 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    zx81
    Payments always go to the highest rate debt (as long as they have statemented, on most cards).
    • Davoe
    • By Davoe 1st Jul 19, 8:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Davoe
    Do you think that It will work? , ill have to put it through a current account
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Jul 19, 8:15 PM
    • 22,986 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    zx81
    You always need to do that with money transfers.

You then simply pay it from your current account into wherever you want.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 9th Jul 19, 3:28 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    NatWest 0% Balance Transfer Card
    The article advises opening a Cash ISA with £1 or a fixed-rate savings account with £500 to qualify for the 0% Balance Transfer Card.

The ISA option is useless if you want to fund another Cash ISA this tax year, as funding this one with £1 will block you from funding any others, and £500 is a lot to tie-up at a fairly low interest rate.

Why not just open an Instant Saver with £1 instead?
    • sparkytim
    • By sparkytim 10th Jul 19, 1:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sparkytim
    Balance transfer confusion
    Hi
    My wife has two store cards, one with M&S and one with Dorothy Perkins.

She got a credit card from Lloyds with free balance transfers and free purchases and used this to transfer the balance from M&S ok but was unable to do the other.
    After speaking to the bank they said it was because the Dorothy Perkins card was not visa or MasterCard which is strange as neither was the M&S which they accepted.
    Contacted New Day who run the Dorothy Perkins card and asked if she could pay the balance over the phone using her credit card but they refused.
    Any suggestions please?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jul 19, 1:34 PM
    • 22,986 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    zx81
    It's because it's a 15 digit storecard.

You'll need a money transfer card.
    • sparkytim
    • By sparkytim 11th Jul 19, 9:17 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sparkytim
    Hi ZX81

Thanks for your swift response, i checked both cards last night and they both have 16 digit numbers.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 11th Jul 19, 10:00 AM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Hi ZX81

Thanks for your swift response, i checked both cards last night and they both have 16 digit numbers.
    Originally posted by sparkytim
    With the majority of store cards, they do not accept payment to clear the balance with credit cards. Sounds like DP is one of the ones that don't.

In order to get around this and still do it on 0%, you need to apply for a money transfer card and then just withdraw the cash to your bank account and then clear the balance. One extra step in the process, but is the only workaround.

MSE Credit Card Eligibility Checker for Money Transfer Cards:
    https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com//money-transfers
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • andmillar
    • By andmillar 16th Jul 19, 12:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andmillar
    Best credit card for money transfer & air miles
    Hi, Iím looking for advice on the above.
    I currently have a credit card with approx £5k debt, which Iím looking to pay off ASAP. I am about to come into some money (enough to pay of debts etc) in October 2019.
    With this in mind I would be looking for the best card for transfers and also using it for air miles.
    Another question - do you get air miles when doing a balance transfer to pay off another credit card ? Thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Jul 19, 12:50 PM
    • 22,986 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    zx81
    Balance transfer cards won't combine other incentives, such as air miles cashback with a BT. The margins are too thin.

Collect your air miles via purchases with a separate card.
    • andmillar
    • By andmillar 16th Jul 19, 1:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andmillar
    Thanks, but can I take out an air miles credit card and pay off the remainder on my old card with this?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Jul 19, 1:20 PM
    • 22,986 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    zx81
    Only if it offers balance transfers.

You've unlikely to find a good BT offer on a rewards card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,984Posts Today

6,872Users online

Martin's Twitter