Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fiftyg
    • By fiftyg 19th Dec 18, 8:31 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 6Thanks
    fiftyg
    Oven Donation
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:31 PM
    Oven Donation 19th Dec 18 at 8:31 PM
    Hi all

I have a two-year-old induction oven that I really would like to give to someone who needs it this christmas.

I know that I can ask somewhere like the BHF to collect, but as much as I love the BHF and donate clothes to them regularly, I went into an appliance version of their charity shop recently and I must say that I did not feel that the prices were priced very competitively or strategically for people who may be on a low income, and considering that I am only back to work a week ago now, I kind of know what I am talking about.

I have done a bit of a search, but not really found what I want. Does anyone know of a charity organization here in London that could pick it up and get it installed to someone in need?

Grateful for any responses.

Thanks

(PS I know about freecycle too, but I also know people who pick up items for resale. I could do that! I really want to donate this directly. Cheers.)
Page 1
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 19th Dec 18, 9:06 PM
    • 8,526 Posts
    • 18,459 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:06 PM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:06 PM
    Would a local homeless charity know of someone who has recently moved into their own place and is in need? Or a domestic abuse charity might know of a family that has to be rehoused and needing an oven - when we left our home town over forty years ago, we had only the clothes that we were wearing at the time.

I think that local recommendations from groups working directly with people in need might be your best option.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 19th Dec 18, 9:18 PM
    • 39,914 Posts
    • 37,177 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:18 PM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:18 PM
    Salvation Army might be able to help, they are sometimes asked to support people following fires etc.

However one problem is that any charity passing this on will have to have it PA tested first (or some kind of electrical safety check), and you may not have left enough time for that to happen.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 30th Dec 18, 11:44 AM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 1,682 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 30th Dec 18, 11:44 AM
    • 30th Dec 18, 11:44 AM
    Salvation Army might be able to help, they are sometimes asked to support people following fires etc.

However one problem is that any charity passing this on will have to have it PA tested first (or some kind of electrical safety check), and you may not have left enough time for that to happen.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Hi just to clarify Portable Appliance Testing is not needed for an oven or wall lights in fact anything that needs to be fitted by a qualified electrician.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 31st Dec 18, 8:20 PM
    • 39,914 Posts
    • 37,177 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 31st Dec 18, 8:20 PM
    • 31st Dec 18, 8:20 PM
    Hi just to clarify Portable Appliance Testing is not needed for an oven or wall lights in fact anything that needs to be fitted by a qualified electrician.
    Originally posted by luvchocolate
    Ah yes, but then that's another problem the OP will have had, finding a qualified electrician willing to fit, and another reason why charity shops might not want to pass on, because they can't guarantee the safety of the items, nor that the customer WILL use a qualified electrician instead of just bodging.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

4,857Users online

Martin's Twitter