Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • splking
    • By splking 22nd Nov 18, 4:54 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 5Thanks
    splking
    Homeless charities that provide bricks and mortar shelter?
    • 22nd Nov 18, 4:54 PM
    Homeless charities that provide bricks and mortar shelter? 22nd Nov 18 at 4:54 PM
    Hi there,

I am looking to support charities that help Homeless people, but I'd rather pick a charity (or cause) that provides shelter and accommodation for those who are sleeping rough. A lot of the big homeless charities I have looked at (crisis, shelter etc.) provide legal assistance, or advice, counselling and other useful services, but very little actual shelter for those on the streets at this time of year. I see that St. Mungo's do put a significant amount of the funds raised to cater for homeless people by providing beds and accommodation for the homeless, but does anyone know of any other similar charities that are 'front line' so to speak.

Thanks,
    H
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 22nd Nov 18, 5:37 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    _shel
    • 22nd Nov 18, 5:37 PM
    • 22nd Nov 18, 5:37 PM
    https://www.whitechapelcentre.co.uk/overnight-shelter.html

Liverpool based
    • splking
    • By splking 22nd Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    splking
    • 22nd Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    • 22nd Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    Great recommendation "_shel", much appreciated. Just been through the financials, refreshing to see that nobody earns a salary over 60k, and they rely on a significant number of volunteers.

If anyone else has suggestions like the above, regional, or national, please do let me know.

H
    • tunathe cat
    • By tunathe cat 22nd Nov 18, 6:47 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    tunathe cat
    • 22nd Nov 18, 6:47 PM
    • 22nd Nov 18, 6:47 PM
    In Milton Keynes we have the following local groups/facilities for our homeless lads and lasses

www.winternightsheltermk.com

www.thebussheltermk.org

Help our homeless mk (facebook). We go out on the streets 3 times a week running alongside the Soup Run. A thirft shop which help raise monies for tents/bedding/toiletress and clothes and shoes.
    • splking
    • By splking 22nd Nov 18, 7:13 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    splking
    • 22nd Nov 18, 7:13 PM
    • 22nd Nov 18, 7:13 PM
    Hi tunathe_cat, I assume from your post that you work with this charity/cause? Do you find personally that donations are put to good use, and help keep these people out of the cold at this most bitter time of year? I'll take a look into them, I appreciate the reply.

H
    • tunathe cat
    • By tunathe cat 22nd Nov 18, 7:53 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    tunathe cat
    • 22nd Nov 18, 7:53 PM
    • 22nd Nov 18, 7:53 PM
    Hi tunathe_cat, I assume from your post that you work with this charity/cause? Do you find personally that donations are put to good use, and help keep these people out of the cold at this most bitter time of year? I'll take a look into them, I appreciate the reply.

H
    Originally posted by splking
    I volunteer with all the above - When the temperature is below 0- the council have a duty of care (sweep) to temporarily house this normally is hotel accommodation.( But they dont normally house those with Pets . So they tend to still say out on the streets!) Though They may be under a roof but due to logistics - no access to food/drinks.They will also need travel back to the council to apply for each night that sweep is activated. They often have no official identification so have no access to benefits/banks. I cannot think of easy emergency solutions Winter /Summer the cold/hot weather seem to be a big suprize .
    • dizzybee
    • By dizzybee 22nd Nov 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 7,205 Thanks
    dizzybee
    • 22nd Nov 18, 7:57 PM
    • 22nd Nov 18, 7:57 PM
    I"m helping to set this up in my local area
    https://www.facebook.com/ilkestonwintershelter/?ref=br_rs

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 23rd Nov 18, 12:36 AM
    • 39,903 Posts
    • 37,154 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 23rd Nov 18, 12:36 AM
    • 23rd Nov 18, 12:36 AM
    Mungos is big, and does excellent work across the country.

In Bristol:

The Julian Trust

Spring of Hope (one of the very very few nightshelters for women - it's not that women can't use all the others, but they tend not to)

Bristol Churches Winter Night Shelter - the whole Bristol Homeless Connect website is a great resource for those wanting to help.

Caring in Bristol runs Nightstop in Bristol - this is a superb charity which works with young people who'd otherwise end up sleeping rough.

Having said that ...

A lot of the big homeless charities I have looked at (crisis, shelter etc.) provide legal assistance, or advice, counselling and other useful services, but very little actual shelter for those on the streets at this time of year.
    It is tempting to think that people who are sleeping rough just need somewhere to live. It's not always that simple. Agreed, there is nowhere near enough affordable accommodation in the UK, and agreed, the benefits system and recent changes have made the situation far far worse. But sometimes, somewhere to live isn't enough without the other services you've identified: legal help, counselling, and VERY high on the list support with dealing with addiction. And sometimes, enough intervention of THAT kind would prevent homelessness ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 23rd Nov 18, 8:10 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    • 23rd Nov 18, 8:10 AM
    • 23rd Nov 18, 8:10 AM
    to find organisations local to you - google "homeless shelters near me" or look on your local council website for advice on what to do/where to go if you find yourself homeless. That's where I started when looking for local organisations!
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 6,778.51 / 6,000 (4,500 is in "offset" pot)
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 6,778.51 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 18,030 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 271.3 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 28/06/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Sep 2052
    • splking
    • By splking 23rd Nov 18, 5:26 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    splking
    Thanks for the recent replies. I am currently working with HARP ( a homeless charity in Southend-On-Sea, the area where i grew up), to create a financial support strategy with a venture I am starting, and I wanted to find similar charities, or causes, around the country. Ideally I was hoping there would be a charity who would perform this type of thing on a national scale, but it seems to be handled by local/regional projects.

Obviously I can sit on google and work through towns/regions, going through the results, but I figured it would be worth my while posting on here to get some responses from people who may know about specific charities doing great work in their area.

Savy_Sue, thanks for your response. I completely agree with your point about homelessness being such a complicated issue, however I am concerned about the number of people sleeping rough on the streets, and whilst there are a multitude of reasons as to why they aren't in accommodation, I would like to support causes that offer some emergency shelter if the weather is particularly harsh on a particular night and rough sleepers don't have the time to be offered a warm and dry place to sleep.

Great to hear so many projects are trying to help.

H
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 23rd Nov 18, 8:57 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 39,629 Thanks
    Katiehound
    This charity seems to provide accommodation and help on the streets:
    https://www.simoncommunity.org.uk/simon-today.html

and there is a page with links to similar organisations:
    https://www.simoncommunity.org.uk/links.html
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6470cc+3045mm (3.04.5) + RK 8.03
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 23rd Nov 18, 9:33 PM
    • 39,903 Posts
    • 37,154 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Just remembered this group who are creating small homes from old shipping containers. they are also helping people learn useful skills by helping out with some of the conversion work.

They also have a double decker bus: men on the top deck, women on the bottom. I haven't heard how that's working ...

Savy_Sue, thanks for your response. I completely agree with your point about homelessness being such a complicated issue, however I am concerned about the number of people sleeping rough on the streets, and whilst there are a multitude of reasons as to why they aren't in accommodation, I would like to support causes that offer some emergency shelter if the weather is particularly harsh on a particular night and rough sleepers don't have the time to be offered a warm and dry place to sleep.
    I think you'll find that most large towns / cities with a perceived homelessness problem will have a SWEP - Severe Weather Emergency Protocol - as outlined by tunathecat. However, as Tuna says, most of these won't take animals, and some people won't be separated from their animals, which in some cases is why they don't have more permanent accommodation. There's no easy solution to this ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • SeanTowers
    • By SeanTowers 25th Nov 18, 3:41 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SeanTowers
    Good to see someone checking out charity financials when considering a donation. Too many of the large charities are spending too much on fundraising. Convincing you to donate to charity A instead of charity B, diverts money away from overall charitable spending. Centrepoint, Crisis & Shelter spent a combined 31 million on fundraising in their last accounts. Shelter spend 70% on charitable activities, Centrepoint 65% and Crisis 62%. That's between 30% and 38% not spent on charitable activities! Do you want 38p of every pound you donate going on TV adverts?
    • splking
    • By splking 27th Nov 18, 2:47 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    splking
    Slightly off topic, but as a motorcyclist I've always been encouraged by fellow riders to donate to air ambulance services as you never know when you, or another cyclist might call upon their life saving services. Believing Essex Air ambulance to be underfunded I looked into their financials to find a service that looks a lot healthier than I was expecting. Out of every 1 raised, 24p is saved for future delivery (i assume that's the clever way of saying 'retained for investment'), 40p is spent on charitable services, and 36p is spent on raising more funds. For every 1 spent on fundraising, 3 is donated. Not quite sure how I feel about that... air ambulance services should be incorporated into public services in my opinion.

H
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 27th Nov 18, 2:58 PM
    • 31,159 Posts
    • 79,954 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I am looking to support charities that help Homeless people, but I'd rather pick a charity (or cause) that provides shelter and accommodation for those who are sleeping rough.

A lot of the big homeless charities I have looked at (crisis, shelter etc.) provide legal assistance, or advice, counselling and other useful services, but very little actual shelter for those on the streets at this time of year.
    Does this fit the bill - www.roomsponsor.org.uk

Gets youngsters off the streets and gives them the help to turn their lives around.
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 29th Nov 18, 8:56 AM
    • 390 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    https://centrepoint.org.uk/

Centrepoint are specifically for homeless youth and provide accommodation and other services. Lots of young people coming out of care end up homeless and at great risk.
    • Ed-P
    • By Ed-P 29th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Ed-P
    https://centrepoint.org.uk/

Centrepoint are specifically for homeless youth and provide accommodation and other services. Lots of young people coming out of care end up homeless and at great risk.
    Originally posted by tightasagnats
    We have Centrepoint in Brighton and they do great work with younger homeless people. You can sponsor a room for 12 a month through them.
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 4th Jan 19, 6:13 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    Hi

www.wearestreetlife.org is a charity in Blackpool that offers a shelter for young people.

They also support those young people to move forward with their lives.

A very worthwhile charity !

Jen
    • Arthog
    • By Arthog 4th Jan 19, 7:31 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Arthog
    To echo what Savvy Sue said, and to digress slightly, It is very complex, and what is actually needed is Prevention Prevention Prevention.
    We are busy picking up the pieces and relieving the situation briefly but action is needed before the person becomes homeless.
    It would take a Support Worker to work briefly or longer-term with each person who may become homeless, and the list of issues is long. For example:
    Are they claiming all possible Benefits?
    Is there addiction draining their finances?
    Is Counselling available to help them overcome past trauma?
    Are they able to budget their income?
    Are they motivated to make their life better?
    Is there antisocial behaviour which may result in eviction?
    Are they paying their rent?
    Is support needed to negotiate with parents to avoid a young person being 'thrown out' of the home?
    Have they rushed into a relationship with a partner they barely know only to find it has failed?

I wonder how many of the Homeless Charities are lobbying our MPs to really help.
    It needs legal changes, education, financial education, good parenting, and so on, and starts on the day we are born.

(I was a support worker for over 20 years while financially supporting a different homeless charity. I have also been homeless.)
    • splking
    • By splking 21st Jan 19, 8:50 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    splking
    Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of reply. I can't tell you how helpful your replies have been, it's greatly appreciated.

I have used the information above to reach out to almost every charity mentioned to start the process of trying to create fundraising partnerships with the startup I am working on. I really do hope we can help share the load with these amazing groups and people who so selflessly work to help those less fortunate than so many of us.

Please do add to the list if you know of any other local organisations who could do with more support.

As the weather turns especially harsh this week I can only imagine how difficult it must be for those who don't have a home, it's a situation that really shouldn't be as prolific as it is in this wealthy country.

H
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

436Posts Today

5,093Users online

Martin's Twitter