Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 11:29 AM
    • 5,698Posts
    • 70,555Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 11:29 AM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 11:29 AM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 17-05-2019 at 1:22 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 301
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 12th Jun 19, 7:56 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Big hugs skimper. It is so difficult and frustrating! I had a melt down at the weekend when OH was away. It sounds so silly but I was super upset that I won't get the chance to surprise him in a really sweet way to say I'm pregnant, which then lead to the reality that I may never become a Mother. I KNOW I need to stay positive but sometimes it is so difficult. AF was on her way which I find is always the time of the month that I struggle the most as she's just another kick in the teeth isn't she!
    • skimper
    • By skimper 13th Jun 19, 8:35 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    skimper
    Hugs PKK, I know how you feel, everytime its fathers day or a birthday, mothers day etc I was think how nice it would be to be able to surprise the OH or family on those days.
    I'm just struggling to shake off this downer i'm on. I'm CD 9 today so getting to fertile week, i'm just going to give to the best chance I can.

How is things with the clinic going PKK?
    • skimper
    • By skimper 17th Jun 19, 7:11 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    skimper
    Cd13 for me, I've started the opks again this month just to double check ovulation. I've had 2 positives today and yesyerday, with bloating and pain today, so I think ov will be tomorrow, the line wasn't as dark as the control so don't think it's today. Going to try for BD today and tomorrow just to make sure we're covered.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 19th Jun 19, 4:26 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    We are just sorting out a few tests here and there (managing to get two via the nhs and just trying to find out if we can do the 3rd via the nhs too!). Once we have our blood tests results back, OH can book in to give a sample. The plan is still to have IVF later in the year after our holiday but need to see if OH has any swimmers we can freeze and use. This will be quite a milestone in the process for us so slightly nervous about this.
    • skimper
    • By skimper 20th Jun 19, 6:40 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    skimper
    Oh that's good pkk, saves you a bit of money.

We managed to BD on CD 8,12,13,15 with ov being either 13 or 14, so we should be in a good position this month. Looking over the past 6 months we probably didn't time it as well as I initially thought we did, we only really BD'd once 2 days before ov, which can lead to conception but probably isn't enough.
    • Mrsburrows2018
    • By Mrsburrows2018 22nd Jun 19, 9:07 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Mrsburrows2018
    So I'm cd22 today and due on next sat, 1 day before our wedding anniversary! Fingers crossed we've done enough this month!!

Hope you're ok skimper, my colleague announced her pregnancy about 2-3 months after my loss and stood complaining about how exhausted and sick she was feeling! I know she didnt mean badly by it but I had to bite my tongue not to snap at her that I would love to be feeling that!

Kinda gave up on the smep plan just after ovulation lol, it was knackering with my shifts, all I wanted to do was sleep when I got in bed ��
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 24th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    That sounds promising Skimper! Fingers crossed this month is the one!

Ah a BFP in time for your 1st anniversary would be wonderful MrsBurrows, fingers crossed you get it!

Accordingly to FF my fertile days have started, although Ovia says they don't start until Thursday. I think, and hope, FF is more accurate as I am away Friday-Sunday this weekend without OH so would miss ovulation if it is anything after Friday!
    • skimper
    • By skimper 25th Jun 19, 2:32 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    skimper
    I really hope so! I was reading on another forum that resting heart rate stays high when you've conceived, so that's another symptom I'm trying to spot haha.
    Due on this weekend so time will tell.

Fingers crossed for you Mrs burrows what a lovely present that would be.
    • skimper
    • By skimper 30th Jun 19, 6:38 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    skimper
    AF turned up yesterday

Starting my diet again tomorrow haha.
    I've been away in Wales all week in my campervan, its been lovely, apart from yesterday when we climbed snowdon! It was awful haha, I'm in so much pain today!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 2nd Jul 19, 4:24 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    I really want to climb Snowdon! A bucket list kind of thing. I'm not fit in the slightest (although working on it!) so I think a challenge like that would give me something to aim towards! Am I right in thinking there are easier and harder routes?

Sorry AF turned up and ruined your nice week though!

Our GP has confirmed that we can do another of our tests through the NHS - which saves us a few hundred which is good! Hopefully my OH will be able to give his sample soon and we will know whether there are any swimmers we can freeze (fingers crossed).

How are you getting on Mrs Burrows?
    • skimper
    • By skimper 2nd Jul 19, 7:26 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    skimper
    Yeah there are, I did the lamberis route 5 years ago, which is the easiest route. I was a lot fitter and skinnier then.
    We did the pyg and miners trail this time, which is medium ones. It was more boulders and rocky, and scrambly which I didn't really enjoy, I bailed out about 3/4 of the way up, but I honestly couldn't of finished it.

AF is nearly over now, so back on it for cycle 16. I meant to start temping but I just forget in the morning.

Oh that's good that you can have more tests, every little helps!
    • Mrsburrows2018
    • By Mrsburrows2018 3rd Jul 19, 6:14 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Mrsburrows2018
    Af turned up as expected on our wedding anniversary...I managed to keep it together and not let it ruin our day.

We went to the drs this morning and spoke to a lovely dr there about everything, I said my main worry was my age as everything you read says fertility declines rapidly after the age of 35 and she said she hates how they word it. She said the positive thing is we got pregnant, so we should be able to do it again.

We are having all the tests though, husband thought he was going to get away without giving a sample as she said as evidenced by our pregnancy his swimmers work but then decided to do all the tests to cover all bases. I'm cd4 and she asked me to book in for day 21 bloods....sods law cd21 falls on a weekend so I'm going to have to go in the day before, and hope they can see me early as I work every Friday although I have an amazing boss.

I've also got to reduce my stress at work, I work for sainsburys on checkouts running the tills and customer service desk, and with all the changes sainsburys have made my job has become more pressured as we have less staff! I'm debating walking/running/yoga or something to relax myself after work. I have to try and not let getting pregnant consume me, so this month I'm going to not use the ovulation tests as my cycle is regular so she said that's a positive, and just try and go with the flow every 2-3 days like she recommended.

The only downside to it all is that if for whatever reason they do find something wrong we wont get any help via the NHS as I already have children. I may be getting ahead of myself but have looked at some of the clinics local to me and the fees.....������
    • Doobop
    • By Doobop 4th Jul 19, 2:00 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Doobop
    New poster here
    Hi everyone. It feels awfully funny posting on this forum, making it official in a way that we are TTC.
    A bit about me - we've tried for several years and for medical reasons I won't explain here, we're going to go via a home artificial insemination route.
    I'm looking online and trying to figure out the different ovulation tests. Any recommendations? Clear Blue is advertised a lot. Not sure what the best days are, and a kit seems the easiest route rather than some complicated taking of my temperature. Daft question - do you do the test every day? Just some days in the month?
    Do appreciate your knowledge.
    • skimper
    • By skimper 4th Jul 19, 3:21 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    skimper
    Welcome to the thread Doobop.

I use the cheapie onestep Ov tests you can get on amazon or ebay. I think i paid about 3 for 20. They have a control line and a test line, when the test line gets as dark or darker than the control then its Ov day. I usually start on day 11 and do 1 a day, but i know my cycles are regular and I Ov around cd14-16. Some test twice a day. They can sometimes be hard to read and the test line doesn't always get as dark as the control, but it gives you a good indication of days.

I know some people have used the clearblue ones but they can be pretty expensive.
    • Doobop
    • By Doobop 4th Jul 19, 4:35 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Doobop
    Thank you Skimper. It's all very confusing at this stage. Clearblue is amazingly expensive, but then so much is around infertility.
    • Doobop
    • By Doobop 5th Jul 19, 8:11 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Doobop
    I'm finding this all a bit overwhelming. We were TTC previously but not tracking ovulation etc.Now looking at basal thermometers. Feels like I need to buy the right one or it won't work, and all have some negative reviews! I'd prefer to buy from Boots I think as I trust them (irrational I know) but can't find any online.

This one has more stars on amazon than others but a couple of reviews seem to say it's not accurate for them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Basal-Body-Thermometer-BBT-113Ai-WG-iProv%C3%A8n/dp/B07JWG1328/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm driving myself mad! Any recommendations?
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 5th Jul 19, 11:18 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 1,383 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    Hi Doobop - big hugs it can be really confusing and overwhelming.
    I think just go ahead and buy the one you've linked to. There will always be some people who will claim it doesn't work or isn't accurate but you have to take into account user error - they just may not be using it properly! For me, when I was charting temps regularly, I had an alarm set before my "getting up" alarm. I'd roll over in bed, turn off the alarm and take my temp. Studies show that it is most reliable if you've had plenty of undisturbed sleep - haha! It's also a lot more accurate if you take the temp vaginally but I've never been able to bring myself to do that!!
    Then you just need an App to put the temp data into and hopefully one that will do the calculations for you to provide estimations / predictions of when ovulation is likely to take place.
    I've used Clue and Fertility Friend and I prefer Fertility Friend. Unfortunately, I don't sleep well so my temps are very erratic and pretty unreliable.
    For me, it has been useful to establish that I ovulate anywhere between Day 11-18 - and most commonly on Day 14/15. Which is an awfully big range.

For me, I'm trying not to think how pregnant I would be if I hadn't had an early loss before Christmas last year. Due date would have been August 27th. I also keep thinking I'm too old for this!!! I will be 42 later this year.

Hugs for anyone and everyone who needs them!
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
    • Doobop
    • By Doobop 7th Jul 19, 4:27 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Doobop
    Hi Aunty Pickle, thank you so much for the information, I've ordered that thermometer and will make a start charting. I've also downloaded that app you recommended, thank you.
    Like you I think I'll go with a temperature in the mouth,some things are too much when just woken up!
    Sorry to hear about your loss, it's such a hard thing and often very private so people don't know you're struggling. Hugs to you as you grieve.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 13th Jul 19, 8:34 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Hey ladies! sorry for being MIA. It's a busy time of the academic year but school is nearly over for summer! *does a little dance*
    The tests we've had done via the nhs have been frustrating and not quite the information the clinic needed to see, and there was some confusion over the timing of mine. But the clinic rang me and I *think* we are clear on what we need to do now. We had some good news thought - DH did his sample and there were swimmers that could be frozen as backup! I am super super happy about this and it's made me feel a little more positive.

AF is due this weekend and the spotting/heavy feeling has started so I expect she will make her appearance tomorrow!

Doobop, I love temping and wish I had done this alot earlier rather than wasting money on ovulation sticks. I use fertility friend and find it very accurate. I am so glad you have ordered the thermometer! Remember it takes a few months of doing it regularly for you to see a pattern and FF to accurately predict so persevere with it
    • skimper
    • By skimper 13th Jul 19, 9:04 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    skimper
    Oh that's good new PKK,

I bought a thermometer a week or 2 ago and haven't started using it yet, I can never remember to do it as soon as I wake up.

Mid fertile week for us, CD15. Managed to BD on cd12 and 15. Fingers crossed this is enough. I'm starting back at the gym on Monday, really need to shift some weight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,326Users online

Martin's Twitter