Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 38
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 16th Nov 11, 7:07 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    We had very strange meals tonight! Ds wanted spicy ckicken strips with waffles and beans, dd and dh had greggs sus roll and oven chips(Iceland sell greggs saus rolls-frozen-exclusive to them) and I had porrige made with water and stewed apples from the freezer without sugar! I feel like an angel for thaT1 I will sin later
    Spent 20 something in Iceland-I will sort out signature later on. Still watering down the milk-now I need to watch I don't buy too much.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 16th Nov 11, 8:36 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    2 NSDs in a row for me Can't remember the last time that happened.

DH had the tea ready for me again as soon as I walked in at 8 tonight. His timing is really good. I have offered to make a curry before I go to work in the morning that he can warm up for me tomorrow night as well as make at least 2 cakes for DH works CIN cake sale. I am going to be a busy bee.

I am trying to make the most of what we have in and not waste anything, tested the 10 eggs I had that were a week OOD (not had time to make the christmas cake gifts I had planned) and they are all still fresh so that is a relief and will get used in the cakes tomorrow morning.
    • cattysmum
    • By cattysmum 16th Nov 11, 10:07 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 21,417 Thanks
    cattysmum
    Cattysmum, meant to say have you discovered the Sewing Room on the Christmas and Other Yuletide Festivals board?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2169321
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    OOOhhhhh thanks I will have a peek!!!!
    [B]SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target 350
    #1603/
    SPC 2014 150/SPC 2015 256SPC 2016 324
    Saving for Florida 2018
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • mrs mum
    15.50 today - I realised we had no soap when I was stood in the playground this morning and saw DS dirty face - he told me there was no soap (I had a shower so hadn't noticed)
    Also bought some nan bread to go with dinner - much cheaper and lower calorie version than garlic bread with cheese!
    A few bits for packed lunches, I'm starting to think packed lunches are more expensive than schoool dinners but the cost isn't all upfront! (for my 3 it would be 180 every half term)
    I think from next term I will monitor how much I am spending on packed lunches and if it is as steep as I am beginning to think I will switch back
    A few other bits and bobs and before you know it bang goes 15!

Mrs Mum
    Last edited by mrs mum; 16-11-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: typos
    • cattysmum
    • By cattysmum 16th Nov 11, 10:18 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 21,417 Thanks
    cattysmum
    Hello, just a quick post before I go to bed, went out with DD2 today and Sis, went into Boots and they had lots of reduced stuff, so got 2 lots of Garnier cleansing wipes for 2 a Body Scrubber for 50p and a 36 pack of Strepsils for 1 but when I got home, the BBF date is end Jan 2012, so have informed OH that he has to have his sore throats etc before then so total spend day today is 3.50
    [B]SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target 350
    #1603/
    SPC 2014 150/SPC 2015 256SPC 2016 324
    Saving for Florida 2018
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • rej-c
    Thanks for the reminder, Mrs Mum - I need to put soap on the shopping list too

Adding a whopping 19.80 to our total for yesterday, between H&B, Mr T and Mr W - almost entirely SW-friendly stuff to make Him Indoors feel less overwhelmed by it all as he tries to get to grips with the plan [fresh fruit, 'free' yoghurts, snacky things, veggie sausages, Quorn slices etc]. I know he'll feel better about it if he can look in the fridge and think 'I can have that'. It's alarming how pricey 'free' foods can be, though...

I'm going to be trying to stick to mostly 'ingredients' for the rest of the month now - I've got several days off from next Friday, and plan to make the time to put plenty of freezer-meals together while I'm at home. If he [or I, for that matter] can just grab something already prepared, rather than faff around trying to work out what to eat, it'll make things much simpler.

Keep up the good work, everyone.
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 17th Nov 11, 8:35 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    The weirdest thing happened to me in Tesco last night. I went along at about 9.30 to see if there were any reduced bargains and there were none - not a single thing reduced! Anyway I got dog food and walnuts and gnocchi (which I had gone in for anyway) and when I got to the tills they were just wheeling up loads of cages of stuff which they announced over the tannoy would be 90% off. It was a bit of a rugby scrum but very good natured as there weren't really all that many people in the store and I managed to get the following for 6:

2 trays of 4 pork chops
    2 packs (900g) of lean mince
    2 whole pork fillet tenderloins
    tray of 9 chicken thighs
    tray of 5 chicken thigh fillets
    finest pizza
    finest goats cheese and red onion flatbread
    2 packs of 12 croissants
    2 packs of pain au chocolate
    pack of crumpets
    2 white loaves
    pack of finest scones
    pack of pulled chicken
    finest pea and smoked haddock risotto
    finest pea and mint mash
    finest king prawn curry with pilau rice
    finest tempura prawns
    scotch egg
    8 lots of chicken and stuffing sandwiches
    3 bacon and leek quiches
    just cook chicken with cheese and bacon
    just cook chilli con carne
    large tray of barbecue wings
    southern fried chicken goujons
    large piece of sirloin steak
    2 chocolate eclairs
    tub of mini blueberry muffins
    2 finest chocolate sundaes (DD and I ate them when I got in!)

The multi buy discounts were coming off at full price so it made it even cheaper!!

There was so much more there but I knew I couldn't fit any more in my freezer so had to leave it. I rang my friend and she came down and got a load of stuff too!! The only thing was that you had to take the stuff through only one till as none of it was price marked so there was a bit of a wait to pay but hey ho!
    When I got home I had to take most of the stuff out of the boxes and bag it before freezing and my freezer is absolutely full to bursting! I think that I probably have enough food to last until Christmas, only needing to buy milk and fresh veg/salad and eggs.
    Off to update my signature!!
    Last edited by recovering spendaholic; 17-11-2011 at 8:38 AM.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • ebayqueen
    Thats absolutely fantastic. Well done
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
  • ebayqueen
    As*a delivery to add this week and it came to 63.65. Well stocked up in dried foods but running low on meat etc. Next week going to do a freezer audit and use up whatever bread etc is in there. So delivery will be bit different and I may stock up on other dried goods.

take care all
    E
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 17th Nov 11, 9:18 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    recovering spendaholic - Oh my! I am sooooo jealous. What a fantastic shop. Very well done

I have not been here for a few days, have been busy Christmas shopping and helping DS1. Have only got OH to buy for and then that is all the presents bought, I have never (nearly) finished so early!
    Need to help DS1 with meal plans, he is out of the house for work nearly 12 hours a day, so anything that requires a lot of prep and cooking is not ideal, but he can batch cook every other weekend, so that helps a lot.
    I am going to use the Mega index and the GC recipes to help, plus the cheap family recipes site to help.
    He loves trying new foods, both cooking and eating, so that helps a lot.

I have had 1 NSD since I last updated and spent 67.46. Not great, but could be a lot worse.

CompBunny - I am so sorry about your grandad. I am glad that you could be there for him at the end. Big hugs x

Sproggi
    Last edited by sproggi; 17-11-2011 at 9:21 AM.
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Nov 11, 9:21 AM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    wow @ bargains...good one

i have been making a chicken pie for tea and peeling veg....also washing duvets...my life is a whirling thrillfest....off shopping in a bit as need a few things and need to get some cash from cashpoint as ds has a training day off school tomorrow and they are never cheap

just got some mince and stewing steak from the freezer so cook up tomorrow might do spag bol with the mince and make a stew with the other

take care tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • his missus
    • By his missus 17th Nov 11, 9:58 AM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 19,762 Thanks
    his missus
    Recovering spendaholic - that is an amazing shop!

Since hitting and going over my budget, I haven't, not too surprisingly, bought much more food. There isn't really any room in the freezer/cupboards. But I have been buying the odd bit of fresh stuff - milk, yoghurts etc.. - here and there. Hoping I don't need to buy much more for the next 13 days though will need to buy catfood next week and will probably treat us to some wine over the weekend too. If I can keep my grocery spend to under 310, I'll be happy. May need to reconsider my monthly target, perhaps I was too ambitious for a beginner. BUT I do feel we've spent less since I started this challenge so that's a bonus

• PaddyPaws
    • By PaddyPaws 17th Nov 11, 10:03 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    PaddyPaws
    Aaarrrrgggghhhh! I was doing sooooo well this month but think I've blown it now. My CostC0 shop (I'd budgeted roughly 50) came in at 88.82 and then I spent 7.85 in Mr T so that leaves me 17.14 to last until the end of the month (2 weeks) - ouch!

In my defense the freezer is pretty well stocked up so we probably only need milk, fruit and veg and cat/dog food so hopefully I won't go over budget, but I was hoping to have a bit spare this month to buy a few bits towards christmas.

Hey-ho! onwards and upwards, best update my signature and check the meal plan to make sure i don't need anything extra

PP

• hollieinbloom
    • By hollieinbloom 17th Nov 11, 11:25 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 4,515 Thanks
    hollieinbloom
    Whenever i go to Tesco at around 5pm (terribly busy time to go i know but my daughter is 2 and has a 7pm bedtime and my OH is the driver so I can't get there on my own) and they are always pricing up the reduced items. There is always a flock of people and i stand to the back just scanning to see if there is anything worth getting, but i feel scared to just barge through and look like everyone else does. Is it just me or it as scary as i think it is?

Today i've got 14 in coupons and vouchers a few free things to pick up, so i'm looking forward to updating!. I've done so well this month and managed to get so much stuff for free! nearly ALL presents i've bought so far for xmas were free! tesco vouchers doubled up paid for my daughters toys, Loreal compliments 10 voucher got my dads present and a 20 amazon voucher i got through Dooyoo got my OH's book and some other bits and bobs! i've spent around 9........happy i found this site when i did!!! x

Goals: Save 500 for emergencies, Save 200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • wannabehermit
    The weirdest thing happened to me in Tesco last night. I went along at about 9.30 to see if there were any reduced bargains and there were none - not a single thing reduced! Anyway I got dog food and walnuts and gnocchi (which I had gone in for anyway) and when I got to the tills they were just wheeling up loads of cages of stuff which they announced over the tannoy would be 90% off. It was a bit of a rugby scrum but very good natured as there weren't really all that many people in the store and I managed to get the following for 6:

2 trays of 4 pork chops
    2 packs (900g) of lean mince
    2 whole pork fillet tenderloins
    tray of 9 chicken thighs
    tray of 5 chicken thigh fillets
    finest pizza
    finest goats cheese and red onion flatbread
    2 packs of 12 croissants
    2 packs of pain au chocolate
    pack of crumpets
    2 white loaves
    pack of finest scones
    pack of pulled chicken
    finest pea and smoked haddock risotto
    finest pea and mint mash
    finest king prawn curry with pilau rice
    finest tempura prawns
    scotch egg
    8 lots of chicken and stuffing sandwiches
    3 bacon and leek quiches
    just cook chicken with cheese and bacon
    just cook chilli con carne
    large tray of barbecue wings
    southern fried chicken goujons
    large piece of sirloin steak
    2 chocolate eclairs
    tub of mini blueberry muffins
    2 finest chocolate sundaes (DD and I ate them when I got in!)

The multi buy discounts were coming off at full price so it made it even cheaper!!

There was so much more there but I knew I couldn't fit any more in my freezer so had to leave it. I rang my friend and she came down and got a load of stuff too!! The only thing was that you had to take the stuff through only one till as none of it was price marked so there was a bit of a wait to pay but hey ho!
    When I got home I had to take most of the stuff out of the boxes and bag it before freezing and my freezer is absolutely full to bursting! I think that I probably have enough food to last until Christmas, only needing to buy milk and fresh veg/salad and eggs.
    Off to update my signature!!
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    OMG!!! I need to start going shopping at 9.30 at night instead of in the morning. But we're usually in bed by that time . I take it these are non-24 hour stores that have all these massive reductions? I've never seen anything whoopsied in any of ours except for tat that no-one would want to buy anyway or is reduced by just a matter of pence.

I've not been able to do a proper shop this week as I've had appointments galore that have left me with no time whatsoever, but me & DH were ill last week plus ds2 had a migraine so we didn't eat much food so we've been able to use that and are just getting bits when we can. Today I've spent 15.18 in L!dl plus some bits for Christmas.
    Clean credit file:12 mths
    Car loan: FREE!
    THE PLAN: 1.Pay off debt 8808.42(3254.45, 1570.32, 2698.33, 0, 1000, 285.32) 2.Save monthly for Christmas/insurance etc 150 per month 3.Save for emergencies /1500 4.Save for our B&B ????depends which one takes our fancy
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 17th Nov 11, 12:56 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    even if my tesco had those reductions i'd never fit them in my freezer so would be wasted on me but well done

i'm gettings so bad at sticking to my meal plans i think it's because i'm using stuff up rather than buying it special aslong as were fed i don't really care, tonights tea is a chippy tea a local chippy has 3 chips and 3 chicken goujons for 10 which is plenty for the 5 of us, i think i must be coming down with something i'm dead on my feet this past few days dispite having plenty of sleep and even going to bed at half 8 one night i really hope i'm not cause it's my kids birthday next week, busy day of lots of running today so i def deserve a chippy
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • Cat501
    • By Cat501 17th Nov 11, 12:59 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 7,107 Thanks
    Cat501
    I'm afraid I've gone completely off the rails in my first month of trying..

Had a party last weekend and a school reunion thing the next night... bought a little food, lots of drinks (those sambuca shots seemed like such a good idea at the time), party takeaways, hangover takeaways.....in short I have no idea where I am! Don't think I've gone over budget yet but I've really lost count so it looks like I'll be trying again....in January to be on the safe side
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Nov 11, 1:18 PM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    sending a virtual hug to quintwins....do your best its hard sometimes to stay on the bandwagon (or i find anyway)
    hope u are more chipper soonest
    tess
    onwards and upwards
    • his missus
    • By his missus 17th Nov 11, 3:20 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 19,762 Thanks
    his missus
    I'm afraid I've gone completely off the rails in my first month of trying..

Had a party last weekend and a school reunion thing the next night... bought a little food, lots of drinks (those sambuca shots seemed like such a good idea at the time), party takeaways, hangover takeaways.....in short I have no idea where I am! Don't think I've gone over budget yet but I've really lost count so it looks like I'll be trying again....in January to be on the safe side
    Originally posted by Cat501
    Don't worry, I'm new to this too and went over my budget on the 11th. Still trying to find what suits me best, you'll get there

• meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 17th Nov 11, 3:28 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 49,600 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent another €14.46 yesterday, bringing my total spent so far for November to €148.69, leaving me €2.79 per day for the rest of the month...don't know why I do that daily thing, its no help.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,729Posts Today

9,297Users online

Martin's Twitter