Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 36
  • findingmyownway
    Hi everyone, I am new to this thread but it seemed like a good place to start.

A review of our finances revealed we (ok, I) spent over 400 in the supermarket in October! No real idea how this happened as I don't remember eating particularly decadantly!

So tonight I am going to do a review of the freezer/cupboard and then try meal planning (I used to do this years ago when money was tight but have slacked off lately). I get paid in the middle of the month (yesterday) and so going to run my 'month' from today until 14th December and try stick to 200. Does that sound sensible?
  • rosieben
    ... spent over 400 in the supermarket in October!
    ... and try stick to 200. Does that sound sensible?
    Originally posted by findingmyownway
    welcome to the GC, that seems like a big drop in spends to me, especially this time of year when we're all buying a few extras for christmas; might be better to do it in small stages, maybe drop 50 per month?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Rainy-Days
    • By Rainy-Days 15th Nov 11, 1:35 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 14,454 Thanks
    Rainy-Days
    Lidl shop only

Currently only buying what we need in so have avoided doing a Sainsbob shop this week.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 15th Nov 11, 1:40 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Hi everyone

So tonight I am going to do a review of the freezer/cupboard and then try meal planning (I used to do this years ago when money was tight but have slacked off lately). I get paid in the middle of the month (yesterday) and so going to run my 'month' from today until 14th December and try stick to 200. Does that sound sensible?
    Originally posted by findingmyownway
    Thats quite a drop in one go, but if you feel comfortable with it, go for it, Just remember that if you dont achieve quite so much its not a failure.Any reduction at all is a success.Good luck. you will get a lot of support and encouragement on here.
    Slimming World at target
    • his missus
    • By his missus 15th Nov 11, 1:40 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 19,762 Thanks
    his missus
    [QUOTE=findingmyownway;48530343]Hi everyone, I am new to this thread but it seemed like a good place to start.

A review of our finances revealed we (ok, I) spent over 400 in the supermarket in October! No real idea how this happened as I don't remember eating particularly decadantly!

QUOTE]

It's amazing how quickly little bits here and there add up. Our monthly grocery spend could easily reach over 400 in a month. I'm keeping a shopping diary so I can see exactly what I spend my money on, where and how. I'm still quite new to the GC and am finding it difficult to keep within my budget so hoping the diary helps. Keeping a record on here when I do go shopping of the cost definitely helps. Maybe it will help you.

Good luck!

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 15th Nov 11, 1:52 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...been to farm foods today for milk and got x6 muller light yogurts for 1 and activia pouring yogurt x2 for 1 strawberry flavour which i thought was reasonable....also raspberry cheesecake carte dor ice cream 1....got a chicken in roasting which smells nice

going to have a stirfry for tea tomorrow and im not sure whats going on for the rest of the week....plenty in the freezer so we wont starve

tata tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 15th Nov 11, 2:23 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    CompBunny
    So sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Sending love and hugs xxxx
    GC Mar 11 437.08Apr 11 459.26 May 11 485.52 June 11 423.79July 11 409.22 Aug 11 250.10Sept 11 396.14Oct 11 382.37Nov 11 372.55Dec 11 332.29 Jan 12 375.19:Feb 12 349.58Mar 12 279.66Apr 12 249.12May 12 337.66/Jun 12 362.58/Jul 12 317.03/Aug 12 354.02/Sept 439.72/Oct 12 210.16
  • rosieben
    CompBunny, so sorry to hear your sad news, will be thinking of you

• bikelesschick
    CompBunny, I'm new to the thread but just wanted to say sorry for your loss.

GC so far has definitely been a challenge! I only had a few days to buy for as spending over a week at parents' so I won't need to buy anything (unless I'm asked to get a few bits and bobs, which is never more than a few quid!).

I've kept all the receipts but not have had the courage so far to add them up. I'll try to find the inner strength within me to add them all tonight. I did have an NSD today though so that's a start!
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 15th Nov 11, 6:00 PM
    • 13,822 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Tonight we had Sweet Chilli Sausages. Hippeechiq has a recipe in The Collection but I did mine in the slow cooker and altered the quantities.

Make a sauce from 8 tblsp tomato ketchup, 4 tblsp honey, 4 tsp chilli powder, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tblsp water.

Brown some sausages and chop into 3rds (I find I can get away with giving them less if the have chunks.) Cut some carrots into battens.

Chuck the lot into the SC and stir it. I put this on at 12pm and put it on high and then turned it down at around 4pm but this was probably to much and I will put it on low next time.

I served this with cheesy mash and sweetcorn.

Clean plates all round
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • rosieben
    tigerfeet, I've added your Sweet Chilli Sausages recipe to the index

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Nov 11, 6:34 PM
    • 16,792 Posts
    • 143,785 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have learned to say No to my neighbours who are 'borrowers .It used to be cash 'to get them through till their next giro' Then as my DD said 'Mum you live on your own,you are a widowed pensioner and you manage to live o.k. there are five of them next door all without work and no inclination to get any They have more cash then you why are you being their 'standby' between their giro's '.Well tonight was the last straw 6.15 p.m. one was on the doorstep wanting to borrow a loo roll.Now a fortnight ago they 'borrowed one and it never was returned so tonight i said sorry I am short myself .I felt a bit mean afterwards but then thought well I would no more dream of borrowing than fly in the air . I live in an area where there are jobs ,o.k. maybe only shop work and unskilled stuff but in the three years they have lived there not one has bothered to find a job, the Dad is seemingly fit and healthy but says he gets more by not working, and the three young girls 19,20 & 21 have never apparently been in work since leaving school.Now I have no problem with folk who are stuck and can't find work as I know sometimes it is difficult but I think its a bit cheeky expecting me to fund their laziness.How can you not know you are short of loo roll at 6.15 at night I grew up with rationing and often our loo roll was on a nail and bit of string in the outside loo.Maybe I'm getting old and cranky but enough is enough I think.I am careful with how I spend my cash and make every penny streetch.
    O.K. rant over I shall return to being a sweet-tempered little old lady again
    Well done all of you who are getting through the tough times and to the 'newbies' its all about 'baby steps'
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 15th Nov 11, 7:05 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 11,582 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    Right! i'm going to retract 28.76 from my target, as i have had a lot of faffing about with my tescos order, that i didnt need but ordered in the codes glitch, they cancelled my order, but between today and yesterday on the phone to cs i have managed to gain 55 in tesco vouchers as compensation for their blunders, so im not going to do anymore shopping until my next gc pay day which is the end of the month, so i am only 2 over my target once i adjust sig

And best of all i have 55 of tesco vouchers towards next months gc, so i should sail through Dec and will lower it then accordingly
    Last edited by ms_night_ryder; 15-11-2011 at 7:19 PM.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
  • helen jelly
    JackieO - Way to go and well done

Compbunny - so very sorry to hear the news about your Grandad - big hugs for you and your family

Prepareathome - well done on looking at your finances and realising what it is that you want to do, baby steps gets you there all the way

Findingmyownway - budget done

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • cattysmum
    • By cattysmum 15th Nov 11, 7:06 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 21,417 Thanks
    cattysmum
    Good evening, am just waiting for the water to heat up so I can have my relaxing bath of the month!!!! I know what you are thinking no no no, I usually have daily showers and my once a month bath is my treat, Im on a water meter and as yet havn't turned on the heating SO I have turned on the heating for a couple of hours to warm up my water, hmmmmm can't wait. Anyway, just signing in to record a couple of spends one at Asda for baking supplies, I am making my grandson 20 cup cakes to take to school for his bake sale in aid of children in need and my grandaughter is being christened this weekend so again, my contribution to the buffet is cupcakes for the children need about 40!!! so a busy weekend for me!! So a spend of 8.47 at Asda and 19,59 at Tescos. Got myself a sewing machine with my clubcard points, I have never used one since school so results should be interesting. Still on Target for November budget, but may have to up it for next month (hmmm is it christmas)?????
    [B]SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target 350
    #1603/
    SPC 2014 150/SPC 2015 256SPC 2016 324
    Saving for Florida 2018
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • Long tall sally
    Well said JackieO! I don't think I would actually ever have the nerve to knock on someone's door to ask for a roll of loo paper but some people seem to have no shame! Re your last comment about "baby steps" I think that definitely applies to me all be it that I am not a newbie! Still, I know people who spend far more than me so it must be true that just participating in the challenge must make me mindful about some things!

I do have another spend to add (well 3 actuallly!) from Mr S , Farm Foods & Home Bargains which I will shortly dig out & update signature with.

tigerfeet2006 - wish Hippeechiq was still posting. I miss her posts & often wonder how she is.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • debbiedeejay
    • By debbiedeejay 15th Nov 11, 7:35 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 5,182 Thanks
    debbiedeejay
    CompBunny, so sorry to hear your sad news, will be thinking of you & your family.

Have to add 3.19 to this months total - needed milk and tomatoes (thing is, a month ago, DD2 hated tomatoes,always did even as a little kid, and slowly has reaslied they are quiet nice in cheese wraps/sarnies/toasties so then decides to eat the whole lot I bought for the week in 3 days!)plus an apple as a starter for my lunch(even though I don't really "like" apples, they make me more hungry if you get what I mean, and a huge locally grown cauliflower.
    Daft thing is I am the only one who likes cauli cooked the rest of family like to eat it raw so I can go to the fridge to get some to cook for tea and it will be gone!

May go and bag some florets up for me and leave the fridge raiders to rest of it.
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 57.20/100,CCC 2013 68.67/100 ,CCC 2014 94.32/100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan 154.14/180;Feb 103.49/180;Mar 117.63/160
  • rej-c
    Hugs and sympathies to you and yours, CompBunny...
    ...and a 'big up ya bad self!' to Jackie O

3.22 added to our total across two shops yesterday, and an NSD added for today - leftovers for dinner tonight

Right, I'm off to catch up on everyone's posts properly... if I've not ploughed through it all by Friday, send a search party
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 15th Nov 11, 7:42 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    No spends on groceries today Did the Tesco glitch thing though (delivered yesterday) so am very close to top end of budget (about 3 left for the month). I have no excuses but I am happy with everything I have I've got enough beans, tinned toms, baby milk and mince to last me into the New Year so the overspend hasn't been on carp
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
    • blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 15th Nov 11, 7:44 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,139 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    Spent more money today, mostly because I didn't take anything out the freezer this morning so ended up buying dinner when I went into Sains for school supplies.
    3.05 on chicken thighs, 64p on marked down rolls and 65p on a packet of chicken coating, 4.34 in all. I'm still doing better than I expected.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,430Users online

Martin's Twitter