Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 35
  • LittleMai
    Another NSD today, bring my total to 6 for the month!!

My boyfriend is coming up this weekend and next though, and weekends with him are never cheap. Although, with my car out of action (going into the garage tomorrow to see what is wrong with it, hopefully it wont be too expensive), we wont be able to travel very far, and hopefully wont spend too much money!!
  • Twiceblessed
    Quick shop in the co-op spent 2.99

Had my online shopping delivered today. Spent 122.44 which was a shock to say the least. The 4 bit of gammon I ordered was instead a massive bit for over 15

Not sure what I am going to do with all that meat

Serious doubts over whether I can stick to my budget this month now, especially as it includes clothes and my DD wants a hoodie for gymnastics
    January grocery challenge 159.43/250.00
    February grocery challenge 209.53/200.00
    March grocery challenge 165.66/190
    April grocery challenge 186.27/170.00
    May grocery challenge 22.51/180.00
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 14th Nov 11, 9:04 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 11,582 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    Spent 2 on whoopsies, should have been but it was a pack of potatoe wedges and a pack of sweetcorn fritters, from tesco party range, so the discount kicked in on the 2 for 5 deal giving me an extra quid off, result! even though my target is way over, i'm going to keep a track and try not to spend excessively!
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
  • rosieben
    tigerfeet, I've added your Rice and peas with mango chicken to the index, and I've also listed it under chicken
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • mrs mum
    Hi All

I've not been keeping track and have no idea where some of my receipts are, as tomorrow is payday I think I will run from 15th to 15th so I will start again tomorrrow witht ehsame starting figure and running until 14th December.

Good news is last 2 days have been NSD

Mrs Mum
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Nov 11, 6:03 AM
    • 16,792 Posts
    • 143,785 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi all I have a few essentials to buy today and I mean a few and they are essentials.I am halfway through the month and its going very well.I am almost shopping completely from the freezer at the moment and saving as much as I can.I have a friend coming for lunch today and it will be chicken and veg (all from freezer) along with apple crumble from my windfalls and long life cream from the fridge. I have cut back completely on shopping this month as I know with lots of birthdays before Christmas its going to be an expensive time.Once my 1.00-a-day Christmas fund gets to 320 it is going to be used to buy presents to top up what I have in my Christmas store box already.
    We are all doing well I think and so far I am on track for this month.
    Cheers chums
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
  • NoMoneyHoney
    7 NSD's so far. Going to make macaroni cheese for tea tonight and hopefully it will cover tomorrows dinner too so I can squeeze at least another one NSD in there!
    Dec GC - budget 150 spend 7.62
    0 NSD's!!!

Nov GC - budget 150 spend 113.93
    With 12 NSD's!!!
    • bestill
    • By bestill 15th Nov 11, 8:18 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    bestill
    Bought a couple of bits at co-op this morning and fish & chip supper last night because dd2 passed swimming badge.
    Total spend now up to 186.17, but need very little for rest of week, so hopefully stay on track.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 15th Nov 11, 8:23 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all, hopefully a nsd today i need a tub of value marge for buns (it doesn't show online) so if mil is going while i'm in the dr's she can get me one if not it can wait or i might even send my mum to grab one as thats all i need, i'm thinking chicken hotpot for tea i famcy something abit different that what we normally eat but with minimal effort, i just had toast with real butter we hardly ever have real butter as we only like one brand and then when we get it we eat it all and it works out very expensive but it's a love treat...thanks MRT
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 15th Nov 11, 8:44 AM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    I sent DH to Mr T yesterday (he works next door) to get spr1ngforce loo roll, own brand beans and 2 loaves of bread and what did he come out with.....loo roll, own brand beans and 2 loaves of bread He said it was about 5 so I will get the receipt off him later.

I am working a different shift this week and next so a late start but not gettng in until 8.30pm I will get a half day on Friday though so it will be worth it for that. DH cooked tea last night and had it ready when I walked in the door For a man who never does any cooking it was lovely and much appreciated. He has planned tonight's dinner of gammon, jacket spuds and beans so I am lettn him get on with it

I am desperate for something for sandwiches/dinner for the rest of the week so may have to get a pack of cheap ham and some cheese to make carnivore sandwiches and a veggie quiche. We are a bit skint until monday so I am trying to spend as little as poss.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Nov 11, 9:00 AM
    • 16,792 Posts
    • 143,785 Thanks
    JackieO
    10.14 spent today and no more to buy this week I am really pleased at how well its all goinghalfway through the month and only spent 22.91 on absolute essentials .
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
  • LittleMissHappy
    Hello all - I was away at the weekend so no grocery spends for me however my DH decided to go to the shops rather than use what I had left for everyone at home so he spent around 4 (he didn't even save the receipt although he did by the own brand pizza, so he is learning ) and then yesterday I spent 5.43 on some whoopsied bread, bananas and a poinsettia I need to get more bananas as they are all gone already so will have a wander down there today to get them and a few other bits for xmas Off to update sig x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • ebayqueen
    hi....hope all had a good weekend...very mild here in our bit of the mids....small spend in lidl this morning...they have in the loveliest sharon fruit/persimmon which are great chopped up and served with yogurt....very nice

going to do fish and chips for tea tomorrow...hm oven chips as i dint own a fryer....nice looking cod from costco

question for julie gorgina....how on earth have u done a confirmation for a tenner ????are we talking confirmation in the catholic church...the child taking a name ??? when my son was done we spent about 3000 on clothes/party/gift...what are u doing and all respect to you...im impressed

tess
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Oh my goodness Tess 3000 ... thats alot of money. 200 would have covered ours. Always got the child something to wear new but we just wore our Sunday best clothes and went out for a meal after with immediate family granny, God parents etc. Others would have given money as gift. We gave little medal or prayer book. You must have a big family Tess. I don't envy you. Do you have any more kids for Confirmation?

Take care E
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
  • ebayqueen
    Thankyou to those who sent your best wishes to my Grandfather.

Sadly, he passed away on Friday evening. I was priviliged enough to be holding his hand as he slipped away. He was more like a father to me than a Grandfather in my adult years, I miss him terribly already. He was a gentle man who was devoted to his wife and family, served his country and his faith.

Adding 19 to total spend, most of it lazy comfort food
    Originally posted by CompBunny
    Hi compbunny

I am so sorry for your loss and the grief that you are feeling. I lost someone very close to me a few years ago and it still hurts. You have super memories of him and his love.

I am comforted with the knowledge that my relative doesn't have to suffer any more and she is with all family and friends gone before her in Heaven

God bless you and your family
  • ebayqueen
    Have 20.88 to add to my GC total spent since last friday. Got some fresh food for over weekend and snacks plus milk over the last 2 days. As*a groc delivery tomorrow and have had to buy washing powder this week but am happy enough with what I have got in so far.

So here is the dinner menu for the next few days.

Tues. Roast pork (whoopsied), own spuds and veg (carrots and parsnips) cauliflower that needs to be used.
    Wed. Saugsages, own spuds, beans
    Thurs. Spag bol (whoopsied mince)
    Fri. Fish from freezer, own spuds and veg (carrots) and frozen peas.
    Sat. Home-made pizza and salad
    Sun. Home-made Indian and Chinese Style chicken curry, rice and home-made chunky chips.

That's me sorted for a few days. Today is to be an NSD and hopefully so will Thursday.

Thank you to all who post here, it is a great help to us all.
    take care
    E
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 15th Nov 11, 9:52 AM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Well I have blown my budget already but this month is my first and a learning curve for me. I have gone for so long now GS with what we have left that following a budget is so hard. I spent a massive 76 in Sains on Saturday admittedly picked up lots of whoopsied items mainly lamb, sausages and rump steak (all very reduced if not would not be bought) that, if we had meat every night would do us 2 weeks. Its funny when hubby was off sick for 8 months in 2005 we only had his SSP plus my incapacity to live on and that left about 20 a week for food and we lived on it and ate ok, but once he went back to work I spent as usual what was left. I need to learn to save and its like something in my head goes bonk in shops and I have to buy - only food not interested in clothes etc. I am 55 years old and I have to learn to save. My oldest son is getting married in Australia in March 2014 and we have nothing towards it. I know if I was to live out of my cupboards and freezer we could manage for at least a month if not longer, but empty cupboards scare me, think its to do with childhood, dad only gave mum money to buy daily and many a night we went to bed hungry as price of something would have gone up and dad had not upped mums money so she had to buy less and there never was anything in the house except that days food apart from seasoning's, and porridge for next mornings breakfast, eventually tea and sugar ( but when you still could buy any amount - like an ounce of tea or sugar - mum had to buy just a days amount of them, or I did as mum hated shopping so as soon as I was 4 shopping was my job, you would have thought it would have made me a careful shopper and I can be when I have very little money).

Putting everything here is making me face up to the fact that I am no good at saving at all. My bills are paid and what is left I spend on food. I cannot even buy any treats for Christmas that go in freezer as there is no room, so I must clear space in it. I know my past is just an excuse I am a grown elderly woman who should be in control. In a way its a shame hubby gets paid weekly, if it was monthly I would only have the excuse to go to shops once a month but weekly I am always having to pop in for fresh things and I go mad.

So even though budget totally blown will continue to record everything and see how bad it is at end of month, only good thing is all paid with cash, so not a debt.

I am not only keeping a record of spends ( everything not just GS) but a list of everything I buy as well in the hope that looking back over the month I can make a list of the things I must buy and things I must leave on the shelves, whoopsied or not.

hanging her head in shame
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 119.12/2012-? Save 12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
  • CompBunny
    To
    prepareathome,
    Quintwins,
    pipersky,
    JackieO,
    recovering spendaholic,
    meg72,
    Spigs

and
    Ebayqueen

I just wanted to say thankyou for your thoughts, kind words and for sharing your experiences. I never thought I'd end up sharing life and death online, let alone on a grocery challenge on a money saving website, but you are all so supportive and lovely. Thankyou. We are all very lucky to have this place.

Adding 4.13 - unnecessary spend on some nuts, seeds, biscuits and bananas.

Hope you all have a productive and FUN day, and thankyou once again.
    GC2012: Nov 130.52/125
    GC2011:Sept:215
    Oct:123.98Nov:120Dec:138Feb:94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - 4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012

• CompBunny
    Well I have blown my budget already but this month is my first and a learning curve for me. I have gone for so long now GS with what we have left that following a budget is so hard. I spent a massive 76 in Sains on Saturday admittedly picked up lots of whoopsied items mainly lamb, sausages and rump steak (all very reduced if not would not be bought) that, if we had meat every night would do us 2 weeks. Its funny when hubby was off sick for 8 months in 2005 we only had his SSP plus my incapacity to live on and that left about 20 a week for food and we lived on it and ate ok, but once he went back to work I spent as usual what was left. I need to learn to save and its like something in my head goes bonk in shops and I have to buy - only food not interested in clothes etc. I am 55 years old and I have to learn to save. My oldest son is getting married in Australia in March 2014 and we have nothing towards it. I know if I was to live out of my cupboards and freezer we could manage for at least a month if not longer, but empty cupboards scare me, think its to do with childhood, dad only gave mum money to buy daily and many a night we went to bed hungry as price of something would have gone up and dad had not upped mums money so she had to buy less and there never was anything in the house except that days food apart from seasoning's, and porridge for next mornings breakfast, eventually tea and sugar ( but when you still could buy any amount - like an ounce of tea or sugar - mum had to buy just a days amount of them, or I did as mum hated shopping so as soon as I was 4 shopping was my job, you would have thought it would have made me a careful shopper and I can be when I have very little money).

Putting everything here is making me face up to the fact that I am no good at saving at all. My bills are paid and what is left I spend on food. I cannot even buy any treats for Christmas that go in freezer as there is no room, so I must clear space in it. I know my past is just an excuse I am a grown elderly woman who should be in control. In a way its a shame hubby gets paid weekly, if it was monthly I would only have the excuse to go to shops once a month but weekly I am always having to pop in for fresh things and I go mad.

So even though budget totally blown will continue to record everything and see how bad it is at end of month, only good thing is all paid with cash, so not a debt.

I am not only keeping a record of spends ( everything not just GS) but a list of everything I buy as well in the hope that looking back over the month I can make a list of the things I must buy and things I must leave on the shelves, whoopsied or not.

hanging her head in shame
    Originally posted by prepareathome
    *hugs* I'm fairly new to this too, so can't offer much advice...although have you tried taking money out at the beginning of the week and saying "Right, this is ALL I have to spend on groceries" and sticking to it? You could also have a seperate allowance for once-a-month to make sure your store cupboards are very well stocked so you don't feel that panic of empty cupboards?

It sounds like you are trying so hard and thats your first step, I bet you will learn so much from your spending record for all areas! You haven't failed this month, at the beginning of the thread it says somewhere that we do not fail. If you weren't doing this GC you would most probably have spent even more! I'm not suprised that handling groceries stirs up all sorts of feelings after your experiences when you were younger, but you are tackling this head on by the sounds of it!

Really sorry that you are feeling sad about all of this especially with christmas coming up and saving for your sons wedding, but you said it yourself that you have managed on far less before! Therefore you most certainly are not "no good at saving at all", and just identifying where money goes will really help you. The fact that you are not using debt to pay for food alone is fantastic!

Another idea to help combat your hubby being paid weekly, could you set up a direct debit of a small amount to go straight into an instant access savings account every single week? That way, you have that same (pretend)pressure of "this is how much I have to spend", but with the savings easy to access if you need a little extra, plus the beginnings of a nice wedding fund!

Sorry if this is a load of waffle. Didn't like to hear you putting yourself down when it sounds like you are trying hard and doing well. With a freezer full of cheap meat! Excellent!

Take care xx
    GC2012: Nov 130.52/125
    GC2011:Sept:215
    Oct:123.98Nov:120Dec:138Feb:94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - 4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012

• retepetsir
    • By retepetsir 15th Nov 11, 10:53 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 940 Thanks
    retepetsir
    Managed to make my target for October and on track for the same in November. It certainly helps the savings! I need to update my signature....lol.

The Great Declutter Challenge - 876
    ------------------------
  • LittleMissHappy
    I'm so sorry about your Grandfather compbunny take care of yourself x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

814Posts Today

7,013Users online

Martin's Twitter