Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 44
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 6th Jan 11, 7:00 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    What about Vegemince? It's made from soya as opposed to quorn and bulks up really well in chillies, spag bol etc?

Another NSD on GC today, feeling really virtuous now! Had whoopsied pork and chorizo burgers for dinner (nom nom!) and no off to meal plan for next week!

Silver x
    Originally posted by SilverCo

will look into veggie mince thanx!!! hopefully it wont have any dairy in it!!
    • Sunflower1227
    • By Sunflower1227 6th Jan 11, 7:20 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 22,390 Thanks
    Sunflower1227
    Hi everyone

First big spend of the new year, signature updated - few bits for DD to take back to uni, so spent a bit more than normal.

OH got bread maker this afternoon just trying it will let you know how it turns out.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

Weight loss 3 stone
  • Equilibrium
    Wow this thread moves so quickly

Just adjusted spending total as visited L**l for the first time today ( yes i was a L**l virgin). There was some great bargains, i can see why so many people split their shops
    GC spend Jan so far 165.68/ 160 FEB 189 /170
    MARCH 0/170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 6th Jan 11, 7:29 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Wow this thread moves so quickly

Just adjusted spending total as visited L**l for the first time today ( yes i was a L**l virgin). There was some great bargains, i can see why so many people split their shops
    Originally posted by Equilibrium
    Thats a good one-you L**dl minx! don't tell me you were buying their German sausages!!!
    now you've done it-you know what you've been missing!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 6th Jan 11, 7:30 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Glazed Cranberry Ham
    Oh yes please, I'd LOVE the recipe, it sounds delicious. Thank you!
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Here is the recipe as requested This is for a 1kg gammon joint.

1kg gammon joint
    zezt and juice of 2 oranges
    4tsp dijon mustard
    200g cranberry sauce, doesn't matter if it is the fruity or smooth type, I have used both

Remove fat from ham and criss-cross skin with a knife to make a diamond pattern before covering with foil and roasting as per the instructions on the packet.

Place the zest of the oranges in a bowl with the cranberry sauce and mustard and add enough orange juice to achieve a runny jam like consistency. I find you don't need all of the juice from both oranges, just add it a bit at a time.

20 minutes before your ham is cooked, remove the foil and spread over the jammy mixture over it. Return to the the oven and baste every now and again until the end of the cooking time.

Slice and serve. Nice with mash and green beans.
  • Equilibrium
    Thats a good one-you L**dl minx! don't tell me you were buying their German sausages!!!
    now you've done it-you know what you've been missing!
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    well now you mention it !

MRSMCAWBER please could i be a pain and change from weekly to monthly now i have my new freezer . So that would be 160 a month please
    GC spend Jan so far 165.68/ 160 FEB 189 /170
    MARCH 0/170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Jan 11, 7:34 PM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,425 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Brought a whoopsie chicken this morning, 1.5kg for 2.75. This will make a few meals for us over the next couple of days.
    Need to update my spending spreadsheet etc. Keep on top, as I am buying in dribs and drabs at the moment. Which will cost me a lot more if I am not careful.!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 6th Jan 11, 7:51 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    evening all, some great recipes popping up on here and im also another lover of mince and tatties...yum yum
    Still havent got round to choosing a recipe this month from my Jamie Oliver books or my food mags so i best get my finger out

Had my mr T delivery yesterday which came to 55.45 including delivery, ive also been scrutinising the recipt for the items with the stars next to them for VAT so thanks to NickJW for pointing it out a few threads back as i would never have known
    Off to update sig now, keep up the good work everyone
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 6th Jan 11, 8:15 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Just looked at my Waitrose receipt and the vat items have a capital V to the left of them The only goods I bought today with vat added was the robinsons squash and the carrier bags.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 6th Jan 11, 8:34 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    what is this about vat on receipts?
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 6th Jan 11, 8:37 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    In order to make extra savings-learn which foods carry vat. There is generally a star or a v next to the item. Things like fresh meat fish and veg are vat free whereas crisps and squash you pay vat. We are looking at our receipts to check how we can save money by buying as much vat free food as we can!
  • elfen
    *rumbles in*

2 NSDs in a row so far, so not bad. Tomorrow's shop doesn't count as it is budgeted, so that'll be 3 in a row as long as I spend NOTHING ELSE. I have my list and my calculator ready, just need to find my bags and then I'll be cool to get reduced stuff, nom nom nom
    ** Total debt: 6950.82 May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 6th Jan 11, 8:50 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 49,600 Thanks
    meanmarie
    First spend of 2011....€33.74
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 6th Jan 11, 8:52 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    In order to make extra savings-learn which foods carry vat. There is generally a star or a v next to the item. Things like fresh meat fish and veg are vat free whereas crisps and squash you pay vat. We are looking at our receipts to check how we can save money by buying as much vat free food as we can!
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland

thanx!!!! will look out for that!!!
  • cancerianmam
    Please add me to the challenge......
    Could you add me to this challenge please? Just lost my job today due to ill health so will really have to try hard with this one now.

I estimate we probably spend in the region of 350pcm for 2 adults and 3 teens aged 19, 16 and 15 but would like to save as much as possible.

Will try for this month just to keep it under that until we see what we have actually spent, then work it from there.

Taking each day a step at a time

January Grocery Challenge 350 left
    365 in 365 days 2011 challenge Member #4 = 6/365
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 6th Jan 11, 9:06 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    First shop of the year today and spent 19.36 of this 3.74 was on over the counter medicines although am including it in the G/C
    Tea today was lobby using up some of the veg that was in and some left for lunch tomorrow, tomorrow is going to be a fish pie and hopefully there will be enough to freeze, Saturday we usually have bacon or sausages which are both in freezer and Sunday we are having the turkey and sprouts etc we should have had boxing day. so except for the fish which cost 4 everything else is using things up.
    Te$co had 8 kitchen rolls for 2 which is half usual price so got a pack of them. We will need toilet rolls at the weekend also bread, oatcakes and some eggs but get them from somewhere else cheaper. Will get mushrooms if they are on offer if not wont bother. Only 3 things on the shopping list which have VAT on them - the kitchen rolls and the medicinal items.

Used the budget planner from today and it looks like we have more coming in than we do going out -PHEW- so glad about that . It isnt a huge amount more but am now going to work on this as am sure I can get internet cheaper than we do and also car breakdown cover. Will tackle them one at a time and see what I can do.

Off to update signature now and then bed as feel so tired tonight.

Good luck to everyone, looks like the majority are doing ok so far lets hope we can all keep it up.

Talking of getting words mixed up - my DH first wife could never say Norfolk Broads - well wont type what she did say, it wouldnt let me anyway but you can probably guess. She got the Broads bit right but oh dear.....
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • TheBees
    Evening everyone - well this evening our first online delivery for the year came from Tesco and came to a staggering 145!!! But the cupboards, freezers and fridge are full to bursting!

I've written a menu plan which covers almost two weeks and will be digging out the slow cooker tomorrow to cook a double batch of spaghetti bolognese.

PixieFairydust - I reckon your current 80 a week is brilliant for the size of your family which is similar to ours. We are a family of 2 adults, a DS17 and DD14 plus one cat and I also include all our cleaning, toiletries etc. I also have two jobs - one of which is working at a supermarket two evenings a week so I have to be organised and try to think of meals that are easy to prepare when I'm not there or that can be reheated or left to simmer in the slow cooker. In fact in a typical week there are only 3 or 4 evenings when we all sit down at the same time! I think the best way to save is to batch cook and freeze spare portions so you care effectively making a free meal for another day!

Good luck everyone.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    Spent 63 in Mr S and didn't get much so quite disappointed. Had to get dishwasher tablets, coke, washing powder etc and there didn't seem to be any deals on.

Also quite annoyed that I bought a gammon which appeared to be priced as 4 but I was looking at my receipt when I got home and actually got charged 7.50! Wouldn't have got it if I'd known. Anyone know how many meals a gammon (1.4kg) would do for 2 people (with big-ish appetites lol!)
    Mortgage148,725 Student loan13,050 HSBC loan12,221
    AprGC:/320
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 6th Jan 11, 9:33 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    sorry shown myself up here, not great at spellchecking
    Originally posted by Lola76
    No, but what ARE huggisies? I still don't know what they are, that's why I searched online. Am I being stupid and they are a slang word for something?
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 6th Jan 11, 9:38 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    [QUOTE=Lola76;39973822]

jintyb

yes i meant Haggises

Thank you so much for this idea, i will use them up and cook them as you do. will put them on my next week's menu
    Originally posted by jintyb
    AHHHH! I DO feel stupid now. Please ignore the previous post. Haggises - that makes sense. I was thinking 'Huggisies' - that's something new, I need to try that! Me and my experimenting! Lol
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,481Users online

Martin's Twitter