Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Mar 10, 3:38 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Mar 10, 3:38 PM
    25th Mar 10 at 3:38 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the fourth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the March 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-03-2010 at 2:29 PM.
Page 9
  • wssla00
    I use an easiyo http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=28616801&postcount=601 but it says you can do it just by leaving it in a warm place I really like doing it. I got my easiyo off of ebay for eight quid including some mixes to get me going. But you can just use milk like in this post it really does taste the bees knees. Take a look through that thread for some good ideas
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • Kornishkat
    • By Kornishkat 1st Apr 10, 8:51 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    Kornishkat
    Hi all, I'm in again with 320, same as last month as I only came in just under budget. Today is my start date and my month will end on the last day of April. No spend for today so at least of started off on the right foot. I would also be interested in how to make your own yoghurt, its one of those things, if I need it I never have any in and if I buy it in I forget to use it.
    Back on the money saving wagon again!
  • **sde**
    please can i join u??

will some one tell me if i do anthing wrong please.
    i have a husband, 1 daughter, 1 dog and 2 cats.
    for my 1st month i am goin 2 aim 4 250??
    I honesty have no idea what so ever what i spend on it, so i thought id start with 50 a week.
    lets c how it goes..
    oops, ive spent to much!
    • chewy62
    • By chewy62 1st Apr 10, 9:11 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    chewy62
    Haven't been on for a while, you can tell from the state of my finances!
    Please could you put me down for 400 for April, thanks!
    (can't remember how to change type colour!?)
    Sept. grocery challenge = 500 (221.60 so far!)
  • wssla00
    I really like making my own yoghurt. It saves so much waste as I am really fussy about my yogs and like the fancy ones with the fruit at the bottom. I'm going to make some peach yoghurt base using value tinned peaches tomorrow- will let you know how it goes!
  • missy dee
    Good evening all.

First spend of the month - and challenge! 7 in Tesco - sarnie for lunch, Iams cat food on offer and a dark chocolate easter egg for my OH - oh and a reduced ready mash. We're away over Easter so will do my first proper shop on Monday. Got a tight budget but loads of stuff in freezer so need to curb my bad habit of just popping into tesco or co-op on the way home from work.

Can I just check if you all include wine in your grocery budget or would that be classed as entertainment.

Many Thanks.
    • skilly
    • By skilly 1st Apr 10, 10:02 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    hi,please can i be put down for april 350.00 .thanks
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
  • 4kids4cats
    Hi, just done my first shop of the new month. It came to 74.66, which is a bit more than I had hoped, but I'm blaming the kids being on holiday! I also did a couple of little shops yesterday - 11.81 in Lidl and 12.54 in Tesco, but those included Easter eggs. I was feeling quite pleased, but then OH also did a couple of shops and although it was mostly cat food on special offer, it does mean we are already well over 100 and only 2 days in. Still, at least I know where the money is going, and am hoping I will become better at spending less. My two fave buys in Asda were a coleslaw mix (ready to have mayo added to it) for 5p and some basil for 2p - nice salads for lunch tomorrow!

• jintyb
    • By jintyb 2nd Apr 10, 5:17 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    I really like making my own yoghurt. It saves so much waste as I am really fussy about my yogs and like the fancy ones with the fruit at the bottom. I'm going to make some peach yoghurt base using value tinned peaches tomorrow- will let you know how it goes!
    Originally posted by wssla00
    I've always fancied trying this, is it easy? And how do you make the fruity bases? I eat tons of yogurt!
    Thanks in advance!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 2nd Apr 10, 8:37 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    15 spent last night in co-op, milk, chicken and low fat treats for me...
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • andrinaperry
    275 for April pls March was sucessful so that why i have gone for a drop 200 is my target by mid year
    January - nsd 10/20 grocery 153/400
    • elly2
    • By elly2 2nd Apr 10, 9:44 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 5,227 Thanks
    elly2
    Morning all, can i set a budget of 70 per week. My first week started on the 29th of march and so far I have spent 45.43 so not doing too badly so far, I will need more cat food,milk and some treats for the lo's unless I decide to do some baking . I have a full inventory of both freezer contents to work off so i should be doing a meal plan but find that i cook the same things all the time so will have to have a look at the recipe thread to find some new ideas.

• Changingme
    Please can you put me down for260 in April,I always seem to fail at this so will try extra hard this month.

Thanks and Happy Easter to everyone.
    Save 4500 in 2014
  • HowlinWolf
    Last month did not go well for me at all and there was some major overspend and a total loss of control on the grocery budget. So I shall try and recoup and am aiming for 200 for April but I'm also including a week from March in that 200 as I started the shopping and eating last Friday. I will post what I have spent so far when I find the receipts. I am aiming to eat lots of things from Weezl's plan and also a lot of things from the cupboards and freezer before the end of the month. Happy easter all.
    Sealed pot member 735
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011
    GC 2011 404.92/2400
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 2nd Apr 10, 11:06 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Good evening all.

Can I just check if you all include wine in your grocery budget or would that be classed as entertainment.

Many Thanks.
    Originally posted by missy dee
    Hi Missy Dee,

We don't normally include wine in our shopping budget. OH likes a drink far more than me and so when we started last month we allocated 15 each of pocket money per week. OH buys his beers from that and if I fancy something then it comes out of my pocket money. Saves the hassle and grumbles from me if he buys and drinks more than I think he should.

This weekend is his birthday and so we have bought some wine and martini but did not include that in our grocery spend as it is strictly speaking entertaining.

I mentioned yesterday that your household is the same as mine and my two hungry cats get fed W*****s and a special dried diet food for Hairball from Hills Science Foods. I include the W*****s in the grocery budget but keep the Hills separate (costs about 26 per month). But the cost is worth it as my tom cat doesn't give me near heart attacks when I think he is dying! He has longer hair than his sister and simply cannot deal with cleaning himself without this. As he is a very big cat the vet recommended this food, he was very very stressed and really was putting himself through tremendous strain, and it really has done the trick.

As I was told when I joined last month, it is up to you what to include. It is your budget and your challenge. You must do what is right for you and your household. Imho as your budget is low I wouldn't include wine but as I said, it's up to you. Good luck

Welcome sde and good luck with your challenge. You can't do anything wrong so don't worry, you must do what is right for you. Keep your receipts, keep posting and reading and the fantastic support on here will help you no end.

Happy Easter all,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • alipops1986
    • By alipops1986 2nd Apr 10, 11:17 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    alipops1986
    Afternoon all!

After a week away with work [in france with school!] i am SOOO pleased to be home haha.

Popped to Mr T this morning because I literally have nothing in the house plus i had a spend 30 get 3 off voucher i needed to use up.

Grand total spent minus the 3 = 33.90

Quite impressed as i have had to restock a fair amount of bits and bobs!
    I shall now update my signature!
    Married: August 2013
    Moved into our Family Home: August 2013
    Our Baby Boy arrived August 2014
  • wssla00
    I've always fancied trying this, is it easy? And how do you make the fruity bases? I eat tons of yogurt!
    Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by jintyb
    Yeah it's really easy- if I can do it anyone can. I made strawberry and raspberry yoghurt yesterday by adding a blob of home made jam into the plain yoghurt and mixing vigorously until it was combined. It looks and tastes yum.

The base is going to be a tin of peaches with some sugar added and boiled until it resembles a runny jam and then will be placed in the bottom of the little plastic pots I have and topped with plain yoghurt. Or you can mix it in if you want it like a normal yoghurt.

Pretty good stuff really. Especially as im using Smart price peaches!
    Spend for this week- Asda delivery, 43.00 to be delivered on Sunday
    • vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 2nd Apr 10, 11:43 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 4,668 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    spent 22 yester mostly on basics like coffee/fruit.veg. going to try really hard this month as I went over budget last month. NSD today as I am working.
    Make 2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 2nd Apr 10, 11:47 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Hello
    Had my first spend of April today and only got items from my shopping list written out after had done a menu plan which for me is brilliant.

Total spend was 41.89 and hopefully dont need anything until Tuesday at least.

Sent D/H back to get some salad cream while I was in the que and wished had gone myself as he picked up the dearest squeezable one costing 1.89 while the one I would have got would have been 87p
    • msgnomey
    • By msgnomey 2nd Apr 10, 12:08 PM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 26,365 Thanks
    msgnomey
    ok it is Easter Hols now so not at work and a good time to sort out my finances
    am setting a target of 75 per week and will go shopping tomorrow so today I need to

0) inventory the cupboards and freezer
    1) do a menu
    2) make a shopping list
    3) stick to my list!!!

will aim for 75pw-should be do able !!
    off to check what I actually spent LAST month
    Go hopefully into each new day, enjoy something from every day no matter how small, you never know when it will be your last
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,392Posts Today

7,814Users online

Martin's Twitter