Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Mar 10, 3:38 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Mar 10, 3:38 PM
    25th Mar 10 at 3:38 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the fourth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the March 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-03-2010 at 2:29 PM.
Page 13
  • TheBees
    TheBees would like to try again this month for 360 please.

We gave up for March due to lots of impulse buys and very little organisation.

Already spent 100 so far this month at Lidls, Waitrose (where I get staff discount), the butcher and fruit and veg shop....

I dread to think how much we spent on food last month simply because we weren't keeping a check on it - probably and extra 100 at least so MUST TRY HARDER.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 4th Apr 10, 3:54 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    i was hoping to have a nsd today but realised we didnt have any stuffing or yorkshire puds (i know i should have made my own but i like the aunt bessies) any way found co-op open so 6 spent in there. tomorrow will be nsd as were over my cousins for dinner

happy easter everyone
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • wssla00
    Afternoon all- A NSD for me I did get my shopping delivered but have already counted that as when I ordered it . Just made tropical jam using value tinned pineapple and some reduced snack mango. Absolutely delicious and I think only cost about 30p from store cupboard ingredients! Yum Yum!

Happy Easter all
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • mothershipton
    • By mothershipton 4th Apr 10, 4:39 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    mothershipton
    can you put me down for 300. Budget was blown out of the water last month so trying harder this month but 250 doesnt seem feasible
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 346 /400
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 4th Apr 10, 4:59 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Happy Easter everyone.
    Please would you put me down for 140.00 this month please.

Good luck all.
    Debt free from April 2012
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 4th Apr 10, 5:02 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Mother Shipton.
    I agree with you, I was doing really well until Christmas and its all gone to pot. Prices are going up all the time.
    Pat
    Debt free from April 2012
    • Morganarla
    • By Morganarla 4th Apr 10, 5:26 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,089 Thanks
    Morganarla
    Hi all

Would love to join in this challenge, can I be put down for 60 just for April please? First month in new house, so trying to use up stockpile to save pennies. That'll be for me, DH when he comes over (currently separated ), all toiletries and cleaning stuff, one ancient cat and one little puppy!
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 4th Apr 10, 5:34 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi Moniker, I just read about your choc muffins and wondered if you could salvage them and do a bread & butter choc type pud out of them? You could add sugar and soak overnight in egg and milk and then bake. It would save wasting them...
    Originally posted by Desperate Housewife
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it's too late! In any case with only me and DH here we would be eating the pudding for a week - 12 muffins is an awful lot of cake - and we only eat puds at the weekends!

Thanks again.

Moniker
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 4th Apr 10, 5:47 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    I promised I would post the lemon pud recipe so here it is:

Petits Pots au Citron (Little pots of lemon)

3/4pt (430mls) double cream
    grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
    4 oz (125gms) caster sugar

Put all the ingredients into a small pan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Then allow to bubble briskly for exactly 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it - it is prone to boil over. Take the pan off the heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture into a jug and then pour into 6 - 8 small containers (I half filled white wine glasses - small coffee cups are also good) - you don't need a lot of this as it is very rich. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours before serving. Any leftovers(!) can be frozen to make a lemony ice cream.

I had an unexpected extra person to lunch, and as i had only filled three glasses I defrosted the frozen bit in the fridge and it was quite soft and creamy when I served it. It's nice served with a small layer of cream on top and a plain biscuit.

Enjoy!

Moniker
    • hex2
    • By hex2 4th Apr 10, 5:54 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Moniker - that sounds lovely.
    Ragz - we are having the globe artichokes for supper later. DH and I had the salad pots sauteed earlier and they were lovely, but a small portion for two people, never mind four. I was hoping it would stop me from veg shopping but it will not.
    wssla00- thank for the recipe, looking forward to it had it for supper after the artichokes. I used value noodles, lazy chillies and turkey because that was what we had and it was superb and stupidly cheap. Thank you very much .
    winchelsea - Thanks for the Riverford suggestion - I need to stick with A&C for another 3 weeks for the 50 but will try Riverford next. I have also found a local scheme which seems to be local but not organic which suits me.

We got six new hens today, they should start laying in the next few weeks which means lots more eggs in my meal plans . I have struggled while we have been down to 2 hens and I mind paying 1.50 for 6 eggs to bake with. The hens themself cost 36 but I will not include them in my GC budget, I do include their feed and straw though along wiht the other pets. Given that I spend an extra 3 a week on eggs they should pay for themselves fairly quickly.
    Last edited by hex2; 04-04-2010 at 8:12 PM.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • dazzle21
    • By dazzle21 4th Apr 10, 7:46 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 7,242 Thanks
    dazzle21
    Evening everyone, I hope you have all had a lovely Easter! For dinner we had roast duck, which purchased from the freezer section in Mr T post Xmas at a bargain price so it helped make a very MSE dinner So far this month, we have spent 100 (i'm rounding up!). Still have meal planning needing to be done! But hopefully we can stay well within budget this month. I can see in the next few days we will need milk again! Going to read back through the thread now!
    August: 149/150

Sept: 200
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 4th Apr 10, 7:55 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    MrsM please may I declare 163.22 for March.

However I am now up to 102 ,shop-in-the-shed and cupboards are full,but BOTH daughters and ALL 3 DGC are here for the week,chaos will reign.

Will be back next week

mrss
    Last edited by mrssnowy; 05-04-2010 at 7:03 PM.
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • HowlinWolf
    I've totted up my spending since the last week in March (which I am including in April's challenge). So far we have spent 156.54.
    Sealed pot member 735
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011
    GC 2011 404.92/2400
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 4th Apr 10, 10:11 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Kornishcat-re the bread. I found that making the water a little hotter and cutting down the yeast a little gave me a better mix. Maybe when you take it out of the BM you could cover it and let it rise again for half an hour or so otherwise-Ive not tried that but it should help.
    I overspent last month but Im still on target for the quarter year-still slightly under. Had a few expenses which I didnt add in such as vets bills-just had an expensive month so Im hoping that April will be better. I did spend about 80 on gardening stuff-(20 on compost alone)plus a lot of booze and easter eggs so I know how it whittled away but some of the gardening stuff will pay dividends in the summer-especially all the seeds compost and pots-ours were past using. We ddoo have 3 compost bins but its amazing how much we need. All the little green leaves are showing now so we are hopeful for a good crop.
    On a diet this month-low carb so have bought lots of good veggies salad and protein foods-no "manufactured muck". Lidl have some really good quality foods lately and their sausages are very high meat content. Also low carb content which seems to be a good indicator. Waitrose have got tight with vouchers and wont take them now unless you buy the item so my voucher days are over it seems. All of my bread was reduced last week in Tesco on a latenight shop. Bought some seeds to add to the next few batches I make.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 5th Apr 10, 5:49 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi peeps,

just popped on to update my siggy, i thought i`d done it a couple of days ago but it seems not

Still on track - ish, just need to be careful over the next couple of weeks.

Angelatgraceland - I`m low carbing too atm and its a bit heavy on the old budget

Ah well onwards and upwards (i hope)

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • rachbc
    I'm setting 350 again - although we came in well under last month i want to establish whats comfortable for us for a couple of months

Thats inc household/ cleaning bits, toiletries and cat food. 2 adults, 12 yo ds and 3 yo dd
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 5th Apr 10, 9:50 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Perhaps of interest to those new to growing veg -

New gardening programme starting BBC 2 Wednesday at 8 pm with Alys Fowler from Gardener's World called The Edible Garden showing how to grow veg amongst your flowers in your back garden.

I love my flowers too much to give over my small patch entirely to veg, and there are only 2 of us so this is what I did last year and plan to do again this year-if it only gets warm enough to make a start

Have had a lovely relaxing weekend doing very little actually and as it is wet and windy here today the planned drive to the coast will be out I'm afraid .

Meal planned for rest of week, all from freezer and a bit of baking to make some dents in the well stocked cupboards

See you later in the week.

• BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 5th Apr 10, 10:07 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Fingers X & touching every bit of wood I can find among the sticky-backed plastic!, it looks like the poota demons have finally moved on
    I haven't had a chance to add up last month's totals yet, but suddenly realised I had set an unrealistic target of 50p per person per meal since Jan, altho 7 all-in per day sounded a lot more No small wonder then, that I continually exceeded my proposed budget I'll go for 7:50 per day starting today, so that gives me
    195 please MrsMc.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• highland fling
    Good morning everyone,

after the beautiful day we had yesterday today is wet and windy and very cold. One thing you never get bored of here is the weather.

Just had a late breakfast of scrambled egg and toast, have been up for hours but have been doing some paperwork for my job.

Off to put sausage casserole in to the SC as it is a day for comfort food. Wasn't what I had planned but have reorganised a couple of days. Hope to use some of dry ingredients from cupboard this month as some have been there a long time. Might make some dumplings to have with casserole.

Hope you all have a frugal day, will be a NSD for me as it is too miserable to venture out.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • laurasavon
    • By laurasavon 5th Apr 10, 10:58 AM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    laurasavon
    I did really badly last month, so hoping to go for 150 for April, i've done a meal plan for the next 2 weeks from things I have in the cupboard i'll just need a few fresh bits to go with them

Hubby has already spent 5.51 though and we had a pizza hut saturday night so that was 20 - not a great start!
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft 9,500 / Credit Cards 5,000 / Loan 9,500 / Mortgage 128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft 0 / Credit Card 0 / Loan 0 / Mortgage 125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft 7,000 / Mortgage 115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,149Posts Today

8,617Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin