Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mary91
    • By Mary91 16th May 19, 8:14 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mary91
    0 WOW
    Sewing machine for a beginner?
    • 16th May 19, 8:14 PM
    0 WOW
    Sewing machine for a beginner? 16th May 19 at 8:14 PM
    I recently start to learn sewing. I like to create unusual items of women's wardrobe and put these ideas into practice. And now I need a good sewing machine. But how to choose... what characteristics to take into account? My budget is small but I would like to buy a quality model. I watched a lot of reviews and now consider the Brother CS6000i sewing machine. What do you think? Are there any sewing lovers?
Page 1
    • amiaspden
    • By amiaspden 17th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 2,289 Thanks
    amiaspden
    • 17th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 17th May 19, 3:37 PM
    Hi Mary, is the Brother CS6000i actually available in the UK? Often there are different model ranges for the US and UK.

You won't go far wrong with a good electronic model from the likes of Brother or Janome. The features I wouldn't do without are
    - top loading bobbin (front loading ones tend to jam)
    - one step buttonhole - preferably more than one style
    - needle up/down button. This gives you more control when you stop sewing, if the needle automatically comes down into the fabric your sewing will stay where you want it.
    - twin needle capability. This helps if you want to sew knits
    - ability to adjust the needle position - this makes it easier to get the stitching exactly where you want when topstitching or sewing zips in.
    - ability to drop the feed dogs. Then you can do free motion embroidery and sew on buttons.

If you can find a sewing machine shop that will give you a demo and let you try it out, that will help you choose.

I find in practice I don't use all the fancy stitches my machine has.
    I bought my Janome Memorycraft 4000 for about 800 - but that was at least 20 years ago and it's still sewing perfectly. It's never even been serviced ... The equivalent model costs about the same today. In fact I'm kind of hoping for it to break now so I can buy a model with start/go button (so you don't have to use the pedal) and automatic thread cutting.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 19th May 19, 12:01 PM
    • 5,846 Posts
    • 7,236 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 19th May 19, 12:01 PM
    • 19th May 19, 12:01 PM
    Whatever you get, consider the number of feet it has or how much they cost to buy later. A walking foot is very useful especially for knits and stretch fabric.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Makethedayscount
    • By Makethedayscount 19th May 19, 12:50 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    Makethedayscount
    • 19th May 19, 12:50 PM
    • 19th May 19, 12:50 PM
    Hi! Agree with others. Can't go wrong with good electronic sewing machine from Brother or Janome. I invested in a Janome memorycraft 4850 over 15 years ago. Never been serviced and is still running perfectly. Might be worth it to spend a little more money and get something that will last you a lifetime

• hollydays
    • By hollydays 19th May 19, 4:02 PM
    • 17,295 Posts
    • 13,476 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 19th May 19, 4:02 PM
    • 19th May 19, 4:02 PM
    i Bought a new janome 217-s after asking questions on mse.
    It cost me 99 with a two year guarantee from an independant shop
    • Mary91
    • By Mary91 20th May 19, 6:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mary91
    • 20th May 19, 6:54 PM
    • 20th May 19, 6:54 PM
    Hi Mary, is the Brother CS6000i actually available in the UK? Often there are different model ranges for the US and UK.

You won't go far wrong with a good electronic model from the likes of Brother or Janome. The features I wouldn't do without are
    - top loading bobbin (front loading ones tend to jam)
    - one step buttonhole - preferably more than one style
    - needle up/down button. This gives you more control when you stop sewing, if the needle automatically comes down into the fabric your sewing will stay where you want it.
    - twin needle capability. This helps if you want to sew knits
    - ability to adjust the needle position - this makes it easier to get the stitching exactly where you want when topstitching or sewing zips in.
    - ability to drop the feed dogs. Then you can do free motion embroidery and sew on buttons.

If you can find a sewing machine shop that will give you a demo and let you try it out, that will help you choose.

I find in practice I don't use all the fancy stitches my machine has.
    I bought my Janome Memorycraft 4000 for about 800 - but that was at least 20 years ago and it's still sewing perfectly. It's never even been serviced ... The equivalent model costs about the same today. In fact I'm kind of hoping for it to break now so I can buy a model with start/go button (so you don't have to use the pedal) and automatic thread cutting.
    Originally posted by amiaspden
    What model do you consider now? Will it be Janome again?
    Agree, it's important to try a machine before purchasing...
    • amiaspden
    • By amiaspden 20th May 19, 8:33 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 2,289 Thanks
    amiaspden
    • 20th May 19, 8:33 PM
    • 20th May 19, 8:33 PM
    What model do you consider now? Will it be Janome again?
    Agree, it's important to try a machine before purchasing...
    Originally posted by Mary91

Yes, my current dream machine is the Janome Atelier 7. I've also got a Janome Coverpro coverstitch machine and one of their standalone embroidery machines. For overlockers, I started with a Husqvarna Huskylock 936, but it was a pain to use and started skipping stitches a lot, so now I've got a Babylock Enlighten.
    As you can see I've spent a lot on my machines, but sewing is my main hobby and most of my fabric comes from charity shops and car boot sales.
    • Mary91
    • By Mary91 27th May 19, 4:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mary91
    • 27th May 19, 4:35 PM
    • 27th May 19, 4:35 PM
    Yes, my current dream machine is the Janome Atelier 7.
    Originally posted by amiaspden
    Great choice! Yes, really, when you are passionate about something, you are ready to spend money to buy really good equipment.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 27th May 19, 4:59 PM
    • 5,846 Posts
    • 7,236 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 27th May 19, 4:59 PM
    • 27th May 19, 4:59 PM
    This thread makes me realise how I regret the demise of the sewing machine I learnt on - my mother's 1960s Bernina 707. It only had about 5 stitches, and I hardly used anything other than straight and zigzag, but it did them very well and it wasn't too clever for its own good...
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 6th Jun 19, 5:47 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    Tealblue
    Bought this four years ago and can thoroughly recommend it (ditto everyone else reviewing it!): https://www.johnlewis.com/janome-dc3050-sewing-machine/p231340611?searchTerm=dc3050
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin