We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help needed: Laurel plants

Amberuk1
Amberuk1 Posts: 11 Forumite
Hi,

Please could any of the "Greenfinger" experts give me a little advice....I have 7ft Laurel bushes that have been growing very well but have limited soil depth in the area where they were planted due to previous owner laying grass/borders over a concrete path. The way I've got round this is by building "raised" borders to increase soil depth for plants to grow but now think the Laurels need more "root" space.

Please can anyone confirm if its possible to increase the soil depth/space for roots by raising the level of the soil "around" the laurel trees without having to dig out and re-plant?

As the main stems of the laurels are long I would be able to increase soil level alot without effecting the leaves etc, just didnt know whether the roots would benefit in the same way? I'm guessing the roots search for the easiest direction to grow, in this case "upwards" as the base of the plants would be deeper than normal...

Any help would be appreciated...

Many thanks

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Usually, if the soil level is raised significantly around a tree, it dies. Although laurel are very tough, it's quite likely they would react like other more sensitive trees if you added, say, another 0.3 - 0.4m of soil. It's a gamble.

Just as importantly, all large trees and shrubs like to get their roots well down into the sub-soil for anchorage. If they're restricted to open, friable soil overlaid on concrete, they'll struggle in the long term.
  • Amberuk1
    Thanks Davesnave...appreciate your reply...

Sounds like increasing the depth "around" the laurel trees is a bad idea!;) I was going to add another 0.3m but from your comments, it seems digging out and re-plant is the "safer" option.....They are strong healthy plants at the moment, just dont have much room!

By increasing the depth another 0.3m I should have 0.5m in total so hopefully they will have room to grow.....Sorry to ask another question....Would it be is ok to dig out and re-plant this time of year? I have the soil and ready to raise the borders and was hoping I wouldnt have to wait until the winter to complete the work...

thank you again
  • Davesnave
    It will be much better to wait until November. The plants won't go dormant then, but their life processes will slow down and they'll be less stressed. Watering should take more care of itself too.
  • Amberuk1
    thanks again.....think it would have been easier to break up the concrete when I moved into the property but it would have meant taking up the lawn and digging up tons of top soil....raising the borders at the time seemed the best option!;)
  • Amberuk1
    Hi Davesnave,

Hope you dont mind if I ask another question....

Would tree guards at the base of the tree(Laurel) stem help protect the collar/base of tree against rot? As I've been looking into not moving the 7ft Laurel but raising the beds 20/30cm around the base of the trees, I've been looking at wrapping tree guards around the base to protect against wet soil resting against the stem and causing rot??

Would this work?

thanks again for your help
  • Amberuk1
    Thanks again for the advice......I ended up taking the laurel up as it was struggling a little and purchased 10L(7ft high) bamboo and put them in 50L containers which I then put into the ground. As moving the concrete would have cost alot of time and money I read Bamboo live happily in containers, which is a win-win for me!;) I still used containers even tho they went in the ground as it will help with drainage and stop the roots going crazy......

thanks
  • Davesnave
    It will stop them falling over in high winds too.

I'm not certain that the laurel would have stood the addition of 0.3m of extra soil. They're easy and forgiving plants, but not indestructible.

Some spreading bamboos 'go crazy,' but the clumpers don't. I've had to coax mine; they're maybe twice the size they were after 10 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure