We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

tasty strawberry recommends please

Farway
Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
I've grown strawberries off & on over the years, more "off" lately

This year is an "on year" plenty of yummy looking berries, but taste is just not there, not what one would know as proper strawberry taste of yore

It maybe my old taste buds of course but I suspect it's the variety I've got. And of course in true gardener fashion label was lost ages ago, but I suspect they were from the likes of Wilko, certainly not mail order or a known supplier

I've decided to plant a known good & tasty variety, not one that looks good like my current crop but it has to have lovely taste & sweet as well

I've had a look at the likes of Ken Muir, and now my head is swimming with the choices, all say they are tasty, but has anyone got a really good variety to recommend please?

My fall back one may be Cambridge Favourite but open to other suggestions if a more modern but equally tasty variety is known
Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Everyones taste buds vary and most of my plants are a variety called sophie and that can vary in taste depending on which part of the garden its growing in.

Extra couple of hours sunshine can affect the sweetness too it seems.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Camomile
    Camomile Posts: 90 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Mailing Centenary is absolutely fantastic, so is Honeyoye. Both good cropper. I heard Mara des Bois has excellent flavour but haven’t checked that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure