Veggie and Vegan Rant

Options
why the double standards ?

Its a lifestyle choice, its YOUR lifestyle choice - not mine :mad:

Scenario 1:

a) You invite one round for a meal, they EXPECT you to have produced a suitable meal option for them - cause you knew they were veggie/vegan....right

b) You go to theirs for a meal ---meat option --- urm nope, no way - you do realise we/I am veggie/vegan

DOUBLE STANDARDS

Scenario 2:

You produce,name and display your veggie/vegan food in a manner that is designed to "trick" meat eaters into buying your product.

a) sausage
/ˈsɒsɪdʒ/

noun
noun: sausage; plural noun: sausages
an item of food in the form of a cylindrical length of minced pork or other meat encased in a skin, typically sold raw to be grilled or fried before eating.

b) burger
/ˈbəːɡə/

noun
noun: burger; plural noun: burgers
a flat round cake of minced beef that is fried or grilled and typically served in a bread roll; a hamburger.

Use you own names and styles - If you dislike meat/animal products - why on earth would you mimic the appearance and use the same names !!

DOUBLE STANDARDS

Scenario 3:

a) a veggie/vegan offers a snack or food item to a meat eater who then comments "that was quite nice". Bring on the smug "ooo you know that was vegan right" reply (or similar)

b) a meat eater offers a snack or food item to a veggie/vegan who then comments "that was quite nice" - to which the meat eater replies "you realise that was baby cow/lamb etc etc that you just ate" -- I bet the response isnt the same !!

DOUBLE STANDARDS

Rant over...thanks

Comments

• mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ooooooo I need popcorn for this :D

But yes, my bugbear is the ‘ooo that was vegan you know’ comments when I eat their food.

As the classic line goes - how can you tell someone is a vegan?
    They tell you at least 30 times in the first 5 minutes of meeting them!
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As the classic line goes - how can you tell someone is a vegan?
    They tell you at least 30 times in the first 5 minutes of meeting them!

To which you reply, it's a shame it affects your memory when they ask "what do you mean?" you say "it must do because you keep forgetting you've told me every 30 seconds"
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Go on then I need something to do so I'll ridicule your scenarios. (I am neither vegan nor vegetarian, I make my own chicken liver pate).

1b. For some it is more than a choice it is ethics, but in that case I would not expect them to come to a mixed meal as in 1a either.

2. People have called things that are not meat sausages and burgers since time immemorial. Get over it. I may go find myself a bavarian smoked cheese sausage now.

3a. Never happens. Why would I not know what I am eating? 3b. it would be tricking someone into doing something they do not want to do. If you claimed to only eat meat (sorry you would be very ill and die, we are not carnivores), then you may react the same to being tricked into eating vegan/veggie.

As such I think you are probably just as bad as the idiots you moan on about. People I have never met becuase you know I would not associate with idiots. Add in whatever idiot of whatever things you like. These people do not bother me much becuase for all I know they do not exist.

Must go to waitrose sometime soon, thier vegan creamy sauce is wonderfully tasty. Goes well on meat. I just eat what I like, maybe you can to and stop moaning about it.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    JamoLew wrote: »

a) You invite one round for a meal, they EXPECT you to have produced a suitable meal option for them - cause you knew they were veggie/vegan....right

Well - if you weren't going to do that - don't invite them?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • combeferret
    Options
    You say "it's a lifestyle choice" and for many it may be, but I don't have the choice not to eat dairy as it makes me very ill. I also know of several people for whom red meat makes them ill.

Those things aren't choices any more than someone chooses to be celiac, so would you treat those people with the same contempt?
    £-667 HSBC Credit Card
    £-735 M&S Credit Card
    £-3,526 Barclaycard Credit Card
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a couple of snorkers and best back with the outlaws come around with their vegan ideals!
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If they are true friends then you don't mind putting some effort into making a meal that they will enjoy, veggie/vegan or otherwise.

If they aren't true friends, and you can't be bothered, then don't invite them to dinner. The whole point is to do something nice for others.

In terms of them providing you with a meat dish, if it is against their moral views then why would you force this on someone that you care about? If you don't care about them, then don't go to theirs for dinner.

You call it double standards, but it's just a basic failure on your part to think of anyone else's feelings/opinions apart from your own.
  • TeamPlum
    TeamPlum Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    As a vegetarian, the only people who bring up meat/veggie issues are insecure meat eaters in my experience.

'I couldn't live without meat' - it's alright, no one is asking you to.

If you're daft enough to get tricked by a vegan sausage, you must be as thick as the mince you're desperate to enjoy.

Stop being such a snowflake and accept people live differently to you
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TeamPlum wrote: »
    As a vegetarian, the only people who bring up meat/veggie issues are insecure meat eaters in my experience.

'I couldn't live without meat' - it's alright, no one is asking you to.

If you're daft enough to get tricked by a vegan sausage, you must be as thick as the mince you're desperate to enjoy.

Stop being such a snowflake and accept people live differently to you

Whats an insecure meat eater? Someone who checks over their shoulders for a flock of birds before biting in to their chicken wing?

Seems like just a case of people not liking being told what to do or giving off an apparent holier than thou attitude.

Why cant you just accept that people live differently than you and like to rant about things that frustrate them?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I thought you invited people to dinner because you like them and enjoy their company. We eat meat, but not every day and would only serve food that everyone could eat, rather than cooking different things for different guests. It’s not really that difficult.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure