JobCentre Plus TRavel Discount Card - Eligibility Criteria

Options
I am on Universal; Credit & have been since May 2018 (9 months). I don't drive, so have to get the train/bus as my principal modes of transport.

I live in Reading, but need to travel into Central London for certain interviews. Train fares are relatively expensive for me, so I was advised by my Job Centre to apply for a JobCentre Plus Travel Discount Card. This basically gave me 50% off certain train fares (not advance tickets).

My most recent card expired today & when I tried to apply for it again, I was rejected, even though my circumstances hadn't changed. The eligibility criteria to be approved for the card was to have been on UC for a maximum of 12 months. I met this, as I had only been on it for 9 months.

I've gone back to my work coach & he says because I've used the card for fares other than for interviews, I won't qualify this time. However, as the train is my primary mode of transport, I've used it to get around generally.

It appears the decision to approve the card or not is DISCRETIONARY, even though I've been approved 3 times before & my circumstances haven't changed.

Has anyone else got this card or had similar problems? I want to appeal but don't know what the process is.

Using this card, it has saved me a substantial amount of money over the past 9 months. if I have 2 or 3 interviews in London without the card, most of my UC for that week will have disappeared,

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am on Universal; Credit & have been since May 2018 (9 months). I don't drive, so have to get the train/bus as my principal modes of transport.

I live in Reading, but need to travel into Central London for certain interviews. Train fares are relatively expensive for me, so I was advised by my Job Centre to apply for a JobCentre Plus Travel Discount Card. This basically gave me 50% off certain train fares (not advance tickets).

My most recent card expired today & when I tried to apply for it again, I was rejected, even though my circumstances hadn't changed. The eligibility criteria to be approved for the card was to have been on UC for a maximum of 12 months. I met this, as I had only been on it for 9 months.

I've gone back to my work coach & he says because I've used the card for fares other than for interviews, I won't qualify this time. However, as the train is my primary mode of transport, I've used it to get around generally.

It appears the decision to approve the card or not is DISCRETIONARY, even though I've been approved 3 times before & my circumstances haven't changed.

Has anyone else got this card or had similar problems? I want to appeal but don't know what the process is.

Using this card, it has saved me a substantial amount of money over the past 9 months. if I have 2 or 3 interviews in London without the card, most of my UC for that week will have disappeared,

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

According to this link

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/03/job-seekers-encouraged-to-get-50-off-railcard/

there is no right to appeal.

It does seem that Job Centre Plus has refused you the card due to 'misuse'.

You could ask your work coach if there is help available from the Flexible Support Fund to enable you to attend job interviews.
  • DanielDeronda
    DanielDeronda Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 February 2019 at 6:02PM
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    According to this link

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/03/job-seekers-encouraged-to-get-50-off-railcard/

there is no right to appeal.

It does seem that Job Centre Plus has refused you the card due to 'misuse'.

You could ask your work coach if there is help available from the Flexible Support Fund to enable you to attend job interviews.

The frustrating thing is I've been approved three times before without any issues regarding any misuse of the card, by the same work coach. Nothing has changed since the last approval of the card in November 2018, apart from my capital reducing.

I have a certain amount of capital in my bank account, so definitely won't be eligible for the FSF. I think the Job Centre is talking about the FSF & not this card. They are totally different in my eyes.

I guess I'll have to grin & bear it if there's no means of appeal, but on the gov.uk website, it is very unclear that the card is for interviews ONLY. I've been using it primarily for interviews, but given I use the train as my no1 means of transport, it is a god-send to save me money.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport#support-for-the-unemployed.
  • Dotty12
    Dotty12 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options

How on earth could he possibly know you have used the card for fares other than job interviews? Unless you told him voluntarily? And if so, why?

As far as I can tell this card works like any other railcard available to use on the trains. I.E you book your ticket and specify that you have a Jobcentre Plus Railcard. If/when your ticket is inspected on the train, then the guard may ask to see your card. And that should be it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dotty12 wrote: »
    How on earth could he possibly know you have used the card for fares other than job interviews? Unless you told him voluntarily? And if so, why?

As far as I can tell this card works like any other railcard available to use on the trains. I.E you book your ticket and specify that you have a Jobcentre Plus Railcard. If/when your ticket is inspected on the train, then the guard may ask to see your card. And that should be it.

Perhaps the deductions from the card did not tally with the number of interviews the OP has attended.

cost of Number of interview journeys is £x

value used on card £y
  • Dotty12
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Perhaps the deductions from the card did not tally with the number of interviews the OP has attended.

cost of Number of interview journeys is £x

value used on card £y

But how is this possible? It is essentially just a railcard. And untrackable?

It works like the 16-25 railcards etc.

Anyone can go on thetrainline.com now, book a ticket anywhere in the UK, and select under railcards "Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card". This allows 50% off the fare and no questions are asked at this stage. Assuming you print the ticket at your local station, one of two things will then happen.

1.) You make your journey and ARE NOT approached by a ticket inspector on the train. You depart the train at your final destination and leave. Even if there are barriers you simply put the ticket through the slot, job done.

2.) You make your journey and you ARE approached by a ticket inspector who asks for tickets and passes. You show him/her your ticket and Jobcentre card. He/she says "thankyou very much" and that is it.

How can this be tracked in anyway?
  • DanielDeronda
    Options
    Dotty12: I agree that the JCP Travel Discount Card isn't traceable & I've used it as a normal railcard & haven't had any comebacks from my work coach. However, I've had the card for 7-8 months now (have been on UC since May 2018) & I think I've not been approved this time as I have had 3 cards previously & approving a card is purely down to their discretion.

Even though in the conditions of issue for this card, the only eligibility criteria I can see is that you can apply if you've claimed UC for a MAXIMUM of 12 months, which I meet. My job coach is digging his heels in & won't budge. Apparently there is no means of appeal either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure