Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 13th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 43Thanks
    rwcwilson
    Returned interest after transferring into Skipton
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    Returned interest after transferring into Skipton 13th Mar 18 at 6:01 PM
    Hi all,

Bit of a weird one. I transferred my help to buy ISA and a LISA, from a Nutmeg stocks and shares account, into a Skipton LISA. I have not contributed at all to the help to buy ISA this tax year. I added the full £4,000 to the Nutmeg LISA in April 2017.

I had an e-mail from Skipton yesterday saying that they were returning funds to me as I have exceeded the annual LISA limit. Thought this was a bit odd so I've just rung them up. They said they had to return the interest accrued this year from the Help to Buy ISA, as it was seen as paying into the LISA this tax year.

It's only a small sum of money but just seems a bit odd; I wouldn't have thought they'd include the interest when its been earnt on an account where I haven't paid into this year.

Anyone have any ideas/had the same problem? I might well just be missing something obvious...

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Mar 18, 6:16 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:16 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:16 PM
    This is totally correct and its nice to see Skipton are finally implementing the rules correctly.
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 13th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    This is totally correct and its nice to see Skipton are finally implementing the rules correctly.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Can you explain please?
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    Can you explain please?
    Originally posted by rwcwilson
    Page 140 in the ISA Manager guidance - the HTB interest for this year was in excess of the amount at 5th April 2017 that could be transferred without it counting towards this year's LISA allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-notes-for-isa-managers

9B.16 During 2017/18 tax year only, investors who are eligible to open a Lifetime ISA may make a single transfer of funds (including interest) up to the value built up in their Help to Buy ISA as at 5 April 2017 into a Lifetime ISA, without this amount counting towards the £4,000 Lifetime ISA payment limit. However, any such transfer must not breach the 'one Lifetime ISA per tax year' rule.

So because you deposited £4k into the LISA they would need to return the HTB interest for this year.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 13-03-2018 at 6:58 PM.
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 13th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    Page 140 in the ISA Manager guidance - the HTB interest for this year was in excess of the amount at 5th April 2017 that could be transferred without it counting towards this year's LISA allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-notes-for-isa-managers

9B.16 During 2017/18 tax year only, investors who are eligible to open a Lifetime ISA may make a single transfer of funds (including interest) up to the value built up in their Help to Buy ISA as at 5 April 2017 into a Lifetime ISA, without this amount counting towards the £4,000 Lifetime ISA payment limit. However, any such transfer must not breach the 'one Lifetime ISA per tax year' rule.

So because you deposited £4k into the LISA they would need to return the HTB interest for this year.

Alex
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Many thanks!
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 13th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 2,228 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    Hi all,

Bit of a weird one. I transferred my help to buy ISA and a LISA, from a Nutmeg stocks and shares account, into a Skipton LISA. I have not contributed at all to the help to buy ISA this tax year. I added the full £4,000 to the Nutmeg LISA in April 2017.

I had an e-mail from Skipton yesterday saying that they were returning funds to me as I have exceeded the annual LISA limit. Thought this was a bit odd so I've just rung them up. They said they had to return the interest accrued this year from the Help to Buy ISA, as it was seen as paying into the LISA this tax year.

It's only a small sum of money but just seems a bit odd; I wouldn't have thought they'd include the interest when its been earnt on an account where I haven't paid into this year.

Anyone have any ideas/had the same problem? I might well just be missing something obvious...

Many thanks
    Who was the H2B ISA with?
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 13th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    Who was the H2B ISA with?
    Originally posted by Ed-1
    Nationwide
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 14th Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    • 2,228 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    Nationwide
    They're the only ones that seem to be providing a breakdown of interest to Skipton. Someone on another thread had their interest counted towards the ISA allowance and theirs was with Nationwide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,820Posts Today

8,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin