Getting back on the MFW Wagon

Hi :o

I have attempted this MFW wannabe journey before, with little success and after reading so many threads on the forum, would like to try again.

Looking back, trying to start a MFW challenge with a newborn was possibly not the best time for me as I had made grand plans, just when our income was decreasing.

A little bit about us, I am 29, have an OH 34 and a LO aged 3. We bought our home 8 years ago and have a mortgage of £80,000, a family loan of £7,000 and £0 in savings :eek:

Our first goal is to save a £1500 Emergency Fund by the end of February, whilst staying on track to pay off family loan (on target to pay off in June 2017).

I have finished all my Christmas shopping, except 1 gift, so should be on track to save a decent chunk of my salary next month (I work part-time).

I need to stay accountable in this journey and what better way than to publish it on the internet?!
2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)

Comments

• Good luck with your plans. Amazing to have xmas sorted so soon
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Good luck!
    I am insane and have 4 mortgages - total mortgage debt £200k. Target to zero = 10 years! (2030)
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome

Remember it's not how you get there, it's getting there that matters :D:D
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 November 2016 at 8:01PM
    Thanks for the encouragement MoneyfoDreams, Hildosaver and SueP19!

I have been super organised with xmas this year - shame I haven't been as organised with my money.
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • Last night I sat and went through our bills. To be honest, we are quite good at reviewing our deals. The internet banking shows that the problem is our lack of control when it comes to personal spends and groceries. Thinking about it, we do seem to have the mindset of ‘Its ok, because we are on top of our bills’.

This is something we need to work on in December. We have 1 family day out planned, this had been booked and paid for a couple of months ago, but the rest of our outings are likely to be visiting family which has no real cost attached.

Things to do this week;
    - Cancel contact lens subscription (one off £36 charge to pay off outstanding direct debits), saving £18 per month. This will be diverted to the family loan initially.
    - Add layers instead of cranking up the heating.
    - Plan free activities at home to save money.
    - Submit gas and electricity meter readings.
    - Bake treats from store cupboard food instead of picking things up on the way home.
  • Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 November 2016 at 10:28PM
    Last night I sat and went through our bills. To be honest, we are quite good at reviewing our deals. The internet banking shows that the problem is our lack of control when it comes to personal spends and groceries. Thinking about it, we do seem to have the mindset of ‘Its ok, because we are on top of our bills’.

This is something we need to work on in December. We have 1 family day out planned, this had been booked and paid for a couple of months ago, but the rest of our outings are likely to be visiting family which has no real cost attached.

Things to do this week;

- Cancel contact lens subscription (one off £36 charge to pay off outstanding direct debits), saving £18 per month. This will be diverted to the family loan initially.
    - [STRIKE]Add layers instead of cranking up the heating.[/STRIKE]
    - Plan free activities at home to save money.
    - [STRIKE]Submit gas and electricity meter readings. [/STRIKE]
    - Bake treats from store cupboard food instead of picking things up on the way home.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Is your OH on board? Would it help to tie up your disposable income so there was none left to spend on 'stuff'? If you put money into savings at the start of the month then the spare money would already be 'spent' and I expect it would be hard to take it out of savings?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Good luck! I'm sure this time will be more successful - and every little bit is helpful. :)
  • gallygirl wrote: »
    Is your OH on board? Would it help to tie up your disposable income so there was none left to spend on 'stuff'? If you put money into savings at the start of the month then the spare money would already be 'spent' and I expect it would be hard to take it out of savings?

Hi Gallygirl, thanks for your reply.

I am lucky that OH is on board - perhaps not to the extent that I am. The priority for OH is family loan as we don't like the fact that we owe family members money. I agree with him on this, but also feel that having savings would give us some balance to not to have to be in that situation again.

We are agreed that the loan and mortgage need to go, but still need to agree the level of sacrifice we are willing to make to reach this goal.

Hope that makes sense?

In terms of the savings, I will definitely separate the savings at the start of the month, instead of trying to save whatever is left at the end of the month.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,160 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure