Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,300Posts
    • 7,111Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was 9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at 3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 2
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 17th Feb 16, 7:38 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Well didn't make it to the shops, so that's the plan for tonight.

Unfortunately we can't have a water meter as there's nowhere suitable for it, but apparently we can have our bill capped so a nice reduction each month (not quite sure of the details as DH dealt with it)

CP has been updated and I'm back up to enough points for 20 of vouchers. Not sure yet which ones to get, normally get N3xt but I was looking and they do some for beefeater too, so that might be a nice idea.

I tried the bounts app to sync with my Fitbit, but ended up disconnecting it as it was messing up the synching with MFP. Has anyone else has this issue?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 19th Feb 16, 5:56 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Well managed to get to the shops and even found a couple YS items. I don't usually hit the shops right to get many.

Really pleased that I didn't have to use any money from my bank account, just got to keep the money in there until the end of the month without spending any then I can send it all to the mortgage!!

Work has been busy so the house is a mess, looks like it will be a busy weekend catching up and getting organised.
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 19th Feb 16, 7:25 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    jodles16
    I stopped my jawbone talking to MFP as it changed the calories and was weird! If I did 10,000 steps and didn't log a walk it said I was minus kcals, if I logged it as a walk it gave me extra, I was just confused in the end!! Not sure that's any help! Good luck keeping the money in the account and brill news about the water cap! Try and have a good weekend, don't tidy too much!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (156,000)
    2016- Jan-177,472, Apr-173,195.04, July- 171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th Feb 16, 8:36 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks Jodles, wish I could remember how I got the Fitbit to sync tight with MFP. That bit works well, just connecting bounts to it messes it up! I think I had to set my activity to low on MFP. I don't log anything in MFP it just syncs one entry with an updated figure across from the Fitbit. Ideal as I don't have to do anything

There will be lots of cooking and ironing going on this weekend but aiming to get out for a couple of walks and/or rides too so it won't all be bad.

Have a good weekend
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 22nd Feb 16, 7:15 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Morning everyone

What a busy weekend that was! Lots of progress made with lots of tasks ticked off my list. Most importantly the VAT return has now been submitted.

Some tidying if the house was done, but we also got outside. I go a bit stir crazy if I don't go out all day.

In money news DH and I had a bit of a rejig as we can take a dividend from the business now we have the accounts up to date. This will go straight into an account which holds the money for our household bills. As we have managed to get the mortgage down so much the amount of months covered by this will be enough to cover the rest of the mortgage payments so effectively we can pay it all off with this

Hope I haven't confused you all too much! Sometimes it's a bit confusing to budget properly when half of more of your money gets paid a couple times a year!! I like to have 12-18 months bill money in the S123 account because of this - earning interest naturally.

It will take a couple of weeks to get everything sorted but then we will be MF and onto the next stage

We've also decided to shuffle the motoring expenses over to DH account after the near catastrophe with 4x4 to put towards the cars - he is in charge of the vehicles (I was using this to overpay - whoops) so I will need to work extra hard now to save the rest needed.

Meal plan has been done up until the end of the month using what we have in and vouchers printed for a meal out next Friday.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Feb 16, 7:47 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Everything is all set for phoning up the mortgage company to see about making the final payment - still can't believe it is happening already!

Also I've moved 350 from my main account to the ISA to try and chip away at this huge amount that needs saving before the next step in my cunning plan can happen

I'm not sure there will be much left over in March as there are quite a few things to pay out for, so I will need to be creative.

Currently I'm thinking of putting my wedding dress on eBay - I did look into getting it dyed but it seems like that won't be successful so it may as well be put to good use. I'm sure there are a couple bridesmaids dresses somewhere too?
    I can feel a spring clean coming on....
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 23rd Feb 16, 8:08 AM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 13,597 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    That's such an exciting phone call. I bet there'll be some anxiety mixed in there too!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 39//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction 42,061.17
    Aug 2009: 163,051 // Current: 93,938.84 // Avg Daily Interest 4.22
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of 41,000
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 23rd Feb 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    jodles16
    Oh wow so exciting!!! That's so fab!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Feb 16, 10:26 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    The call has been made and the remaining balance paid
    It was quite straightforward and I've been buzzing all afternoon.
    There is still several months money in the account for bills so not as tight as I first thought so no rush sorting out the paperwork to refill the account from business dividends.

It also means less pressure if the business is making less money at any point in the future as our monthly outgoings are now much lower
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 23rd Feb 16, 11:13 PM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 13,597 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Congratulations. So happy, with a tinge of envy!!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 39//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction 42,061.17
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th Feb 16, 7:32 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you SJ

Talking to DH last night and we've decided that the plan is to save enough to buy some land/stables for the horses first. This will free up the money we are paying in rent for them currently.

This will need to be near a village so we can then look at moving as the step after that.

Unfortunately even land/stables are quite expensive and far and few between. I am aiming for 150k, although looking yesterday a new yard has just come on the market for 200k

One of the large contracts for our business has just extended until the end of June yesterday (a very temporary contract that was only supposed to be for 2 months), so that should help
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 24th Feb 16, 8:08 AM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 13,597 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    I read them figures with a large gulp!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th Feb 16, 7:00 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I know! Sometimes I think it just isn't possible but I've seen great things achieved on here

I thought it would be tough to pay the 9400 remaining off the mortgage this year and it is gone already so I'm quite amazed really.

I've just received an offer on the horse rug. I'd put it on eBay as a BIN, there had been no interest on local horsey FB groups. I honestly thought I would have to wait until September to sell it now so really pleased. They've yet to pay but I'm optimistic.
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 24th Feb 16, 9:36 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 1,918 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Congratulations on paying off the mortgage!

Now the real fun begins...climbing the 300k mountain
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 25th Feb 16, 2:40 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    jodles16
    I am bouncing around excitedly for you, you have kicked your original goals butt!! I reckon though the 150k sounds soooo much (which it obviously is), you will definately be able to achieve it! Is it even more expensive to look at houses with land for horses than to do separately? My mum is a serial yard mover, she is always looking out for better stables, more land, better menage (eek spelling!!), closer to home more riding etc and will also look for good deals or where people will put your horses in and out for free if you cant get there. Think her current stables ticks most of her boxes and she has some really good friends there, they all help out which is nice, she dreams of horses in the garden though!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Feb 16, 6:36 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you for your lovely comments Jodles, princess & SJ, I really appreciate it

You've just mentioned my biggest dilemma! What I really really want is a house with land.
    However, they are so do I try and wait until I have enough or do I go for the 'cheaper' option of a field/yard within spitting distance of where I could live. It doesn't help that I feel time is ticking by, I've just turned 41. It would be silly if I waited until I was 60 as I may not be as able to have/enjoy the horses by then iyswim!

At least I don't need to make a decision yet as nowhere near being able to afford either.

I guess it will depend what is available when the money is saved!
    eBay buyer has paid, so 65 transferred to ISA
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 29th Feb 16, 7:37 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    A crazy weekend of running around has left me feeling wiped out. Not much done on the money saving plans, however not much spent either

I have to do the meal plan and stock check the kitchen so I can update the shopping tonight as I have booked the slot for tomorrow.

The two boxes for eBay items that I have yet to list have now been found. So just the actual listing and photos to complete.

Logging into my online banking I was disappointed not to see my mortgage sccount with a big fat zero for the balance - it's just been removed from my list of accounts altogether!

Right off to try and find some energy.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 1st Mar 16, 6:59 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    A new month begins so a quick recap on where we are.

Mortgage (aim 0): 0/9,400 (100%)
    ISA (aim 30,000): 641.92/6,000 (11%)

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 1st Mar 16, 7:04 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,111 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Meal plan all completed and shopping will be delivered today. The freezer is looking quite empty!

CP update also done yesterday.

Today I will take a top back which I was given for my birthday as it really doesn't suit me, so I hope they will exchange it.

I need to get something organised for Mother's Day too, but really struggling with ideas at the moment.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 1st Mar 16, 7:09 AM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 10,202 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Fantastic news

Bit annoying they removed the account before you could see it with a zero, however will they send you a final statement? I'm sure that that'll produce the same excitement!
    2018 MFW #20 - OP 1799.61/ 3000 60%
    Mar: 218 Apr: 528.91 May: 361.07

Mortgage Oct '16 170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 255.50 2017 2600.40
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,653Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter