Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 8th Sep 12, 12:07 PM
    • 696Posts
    • 3,090Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Onwards to freedom!
    • 8th Sep 12, 12:07 PM
    Onwards to freedom! 8th Sep 12 at 12:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to my MFW diary. Not sure how often I'll update as I'm going down the boring 'increase monthly mortgage direct debit' route, not the more interesting to read 'random repayment as and when a bit of extra money is made' route. Still, no harm in starting a diary here, even if it's just for me to look back on in a few years time!

It seems like a good idea to start with a bit of background, so here goes...

We bought our house in July 2010 with an 87k repayment mortgage, fixed for 10 years at 5.29%. Nearly two years of 525pm standard repayments allowed us to rebuild our savings, but after 20 monthly payments (over 10k paid out) the mortgage balance had only dropped around 2.5k thanks to all the interest being paid...

We decided to make a small start on overpaying - small overpayments early on have quite an impact over the long term so why not start small and ramp up later? March 2012 we made our first regular overpayment, 50pm. Amazingly, if we were to keep up with this 50pm over the life of the mortgage we'd be mortgage free nearly four years early (Nov 2031) and save ourselves a tidy bit of interest. Not bad rewards for just 50 a month!

A few days ago I decided to step things up a notch. From next month the regular overpayments will increase to 250pm, 200 less will find its way into my long term savings (paying 2.8%, minus basic rate tax), 200 more will find its way to the mortgage provider. Makes a lot of sense looking at the interest rates! I'll keep on saving in a normal savings account though and won't be putting every penny into the mortgage - I'm used to seeing my savings grow monthly, and like to try to be prepared for any eventuality, so I'll keep on squirelling away a chunk of my income in savings each month. I know this isn't the most efficient option in terms of reducing interest payments, but it's a balance that keeps me sane, if there's any major disasters the savings are there to fall back on, that kind of peace of mind is well worth a few pounds! Anyway, here's where the numbers get really interesting - by overpaying 250pm for the life of the mortgage we'd be mortgage free nearly eleven years early (Oct 2024). Wow!

Seeing the massive savings I started looking into this stuff in more detail. We're allowed to overpay up to 10% of the mortgage balance each year without penalty. I don't want to increase overpayments over 250pm right now, but maybe after another year or so of growing my savings I'll step up the overpayments to 500pm. Two years later the overpayment would need to drop to 450pm (to avoid penalty), year after that drop to 400, and the following year drop to 350, and the years after that drop to 250 at which level the op's would have to remain until the end of the fixed period (August 2020). If we were to follow this plan, at the end of the fixed period our mortgage balance would be around about 20k which we could pay off with a lump sum from savings. Mortgage free fifteen years early, at age 36, sounds awesome, and what's incredible is that it also sounds very realistic.

At the moment overpaying is my project. OH and I have our own accounts that our wages are paid into, and a joint account that we feed monthly to pay the bills. As I earn a little more I also do the grocery shopping, pay a few extra bills, and overpay the mortgage. Beyond feeding the joint account OH's income is none of my business, it can be spent on whatever OH likes, same goes for my income. This works well for us - if I want to splash out on a new computer game or a night out or whatever I can do so without needing to consult OH, and if OH wants to splash out on a night out or clothes or whatever no need to consult me. We're both debt averse and savers by nature, so as long as we spend less than what's coming in and all the bills get paid all is well. I'm hoping that seeing the mortgage balance reduce might convince OH to get involved in overpaying the mortgage (or at least split savings into two pots, one 'spendable' short term pot for holidays and home improvements etc, and a long term one earmarked for paying down a lump sum on the mortagage), but there'll be no pressure, if OH joins in that would be excellent, but if not that's ok.

Finally, I know life doesn't always go smoothly - anything could happen in the next 8 years, babies, redundancy, armageddon, "the best made plans of mice and men, often go awry"... But if things don't go to plan, nevermind, we'll have made a great start on the mortgage regardless, any overpayments we make early on will benefit us later on, so we may as well give it a shot while circumstances allow It's nice to remember that circumstances can go up as well as down too - maybe there will be payrises and good fortune along the way that make achieveing the target easier, who knows!

January 2014 Update:

Things have changed quite a lot since I first started this diary... The new aim is to hit the MFiT3 target of a 40k mortgage balance by end 2015, and to have 40k in savings by that time too, making us mortgage neutral 20 years early! Anything can happen, but I think it's time to aim high!

March 2015 Update:

We did it! We are mortgage neutral (savings balance higher than outstanding mortgage) and are locked in to achieve the MFiT3 stretch goal of mortgage below 40k by the end of the year I'm going to keep this diary going, the aim is total financial independence now!

January 2018 Update:

Paid the mortgage off in full today (12/01/2018)
    Last edited by SuperSecretSquirrel; 12-01-2018 at 9:42 PM. Reason: We did it! :D

Mtg [2013 64k|2014 51k|2015 38k|2016 26k|2017 14k] Zero!
    MN [2013-25k|2014-2k|2015+16k|2016+34k|2017+52k] +56,615.31(MFiT4:+60k)
    NW [2013 126k|2014 156k|2015 190k|2016 228k|2017 269k] 278,659.39 (2020:300k)
    FI [2013 -1.2%|2014 2.8%|2015 6.9%|2016 13%|2017 18%] 30.9% (exc SP)
Page 2
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 12th Dec 12, 8:39 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Well, today is the start of the three year MFIT-T3 challenge - 12/12/12 a momentous day that will go down in the annals of history

When I originally registered on the 4th September I predicted a start balance of 81,500, and the target was to get the balance below 60,000 by the end of 2015.

I've just come off the phone with the mortgage company, and the balance right now is 81,054.55, so that's my true starting balance for the challenge The target remains at 60k, but any lower than that would be a real bonus.

I have the option of overpaying a further 7,255.60 between now and the end of December without incurring any charges if I want. I'm currently torn between keeping a hold of my savings (2.8% tax free cash isa) or paying down the mortgage (5.29%) while the getting's good. Looking at the numbers it's a no brainer and I really should pay a lump off the debt, but I have a psychological block on withdrawing savings for fear of unforseen emergencies around the corner! The economy still isn't in perfect health, and I know my employment is not guaranteed, so I'm hoarding my savings as an insurance against darker days... Gah!

Anyway, I have a few days remaining to play with my spreadsheets and decide if I want to risk it and make a massive dent in the mortgage to give me a mega head start, or play it safe and keep a nice emergency fund on hand and chip away at the mortgage with monthly overpayments of 276.67. Watch this space I guess!

Hope you are all faring well in your own efforts to become mortgage/debt free!
    • icontinuetodream
    • By icontinuetodream 12th Dec 12, 9:40 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 6,606 Thanks
    icontinuetodream
    Hi SSS.... I am on the MFiT-T3 challenge too and also found out this morning that my balance is lower than anticipated! Good feeling isn't it No real advice regarding paying a chunk off your mortgage....I think that you have to balance it with your need for security....how about paying half of it and that way keep both bits of you happy?? Good luck on your journey
    Mortgage 12.12.12 55842 12.12.13 42716 14.12.14 28837 13.12.15 25913
    Mortgage OP 50/600 House Fund 420/5000
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 12th Dec 12, 10:35 AM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 59,856 Thanks
    edinburgher
    You're doing really well - slow and steady regular OPs are great and I'm trying really hard to stick with them. It's a great financial (life) lesson in general that dull as dishwater reliability and sticking to the plan works better than zany schemes, no matter how many I invent

An emergency fund of some sort is a pre-requisite for anyone with a mortgage as far as I can see (unless your mortgage company lets you withdraw OPs further down the line). Like you, we 'earn' far more from OPs (4.99%) than we do from savings (3%). That said, without an emergency fund we can't pay our mortgage *at all* if we both lost our jobs. Mrs E and I decided to match OPs with payments into our Emergency Fund 1:1. It'll take a bit longer this way, but we only need to save the EF once and it provides a stable base for our future
    • Mc_Marty
    • By Mc_Marty 12th Dec 12, 11:28 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Mc_Marty
    Hi SSS,

Just seen this thread and have subscribed to it so that i can watch your progress. Well done! It's quite something when the moment comes that you realise you could be MF years earlier than expected and pay back 0000's less in interest to the banks. A good feeling.

Our situations are similar. I became a MFW in Dec 2010 with a repayment mortgage of 116k (5yr fixed at 5.84% ends 2014). As of Jan 2013 it should be approx 60k. Have completely dedicated last 2 years to making as bigger dent as possible. I currently do the full 10% overpayment amount each year and have also sneakily reduced the term in order to get round paying more off the capital without incurring early repayment charges. I have roughly calculated that i now save 000's a month in interest payments. Assuming my situation stays as it is (i.e. keep job), i hope to MF by June 2015 (but life rarely goes to plan so who knows). It does mean sacraficing things now but in the long term it means having more later.

Goodluck with your mortgage, looking forward to reading your posts.

BTW, about your earlier post of savings vs mortgage payments, it is very tempting to chuck it all at the mortgage especially when saving rates are so low. I keep about 3mths salary in savings and then the rest on the mortgage.
    Savings Challenge: 27k in 2015 (#184):.............33,094
    Total 'House Move Savings' Pot: .........................63,530
    • Southernman
    • By Southernman 13th Dec 12, 7:43 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    Southernman
    Noticed your thread in the Mortgage free in 3!

I've got an 82k balance and my aim is also 60k by the end of the challenge.

It would be good to be able to motivate each other and track how we're both doing (although you do have a 1k head start!!)

I know what you mean by the ISA situation, i have 5k in a 3% one and i like the security of knowing it's there but it would be better off on the mortgage. Just worried that i'd have nothing to fall back on if i lost my job!

Will be happy that the more i overpay the less interest i pay on a monthly basis. Right now we're talking 300 of the 580 i pay automatically a month. Actual mortgage before overpayment is 473!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 3850/3500
    Mortgage Debt May 2011- 90,000
    December 2014 69,993
    Goal- May 2016 60,000
    • SillySod
    • By SillySod 13th Dec 12, 9:16 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    SillySod
    It's so obvious, I can't believe it took this long to sink in! I had been thinking of the higher monthly repayment as an overpayment (which I guess it kinda is, but strictly speaking isn't...) that eats into the 10% allowance for the year (which it doesn't). Glad I've got that straight in my head now!
    Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel
    Are you sure your higher monthly repayment does not eat into your 10% allowance? Mine certainly did. Obviously I don't know what is in your contract but I would have thought that anything you pay over the originally-scheduled monthly payment is seen (also strictly speaking) as a monthly overpayment.

We reduced our term (our bank has a standard 30 fee) to get round this problem as otherwise the amount you can overpay is reduced year-on-year.

Good luck, and see you in the 3-year challenge
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 14th Dec 12, 8:29 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Wow, lots of posts Hello icontinuetodream, edinburgher, Mc_Marty, Southernman, and SillySod, thanks for stopping by!

I've been doing my sums, and I think I've pretty much decided what I'm going to do regards overpaying before the end of this year. I'm planning on withdrawing 5000 from my ISA, and throwing that (really hard ) at the mortgage. It'll still leave me with a plenty big enough security fund should we end up needing it, and will make a very big difference to the total interest we end up paying on the mortgage. It's going to be hard withdrawing that money, it takes a long time for me to save that much, but at the end of the day I'm not spending that 5k, I spent it when we bought the house, this is more like moving the money from one account to another, one that pays better interest, but that you can't easily make withdrawals from - if I think of it that way then it's definitely the right thing to do

This lump will be a one-off, then next year the plan is to maintain the monthly 276.67 automatic overpayments. If I'm fortunate enough to make a little extra money, or just have a bit left over from time to time, I might make the occasional ad-hoc overpayment. I live in hope that OH will do the same eventually too! It's important to me that we still enjoy our holidays and and other nice things during this time though, I'm not turning into Scrooge for the sake of mortgage overpayments!

It would be nice to increase the monthly overpayments come 2014 (pay a nice round 1000 a month, 476.67 of which would be op's), but I'm already looking too far into the future now as there are too many unknowns to plan ahead with any real accuracy. If we manage what I hope we will though, we'll then need to reduce the term come 2016 to allow continued overpayments (SillySod I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick from my quoted post, I probably didn't do a good job of explaining - as in your case we'll eventually reduce the term, which will increase the standard monthly repayments, which means if we pay 10% of the balance over and above the bigger standard repayments the mortgage is cleared quicker and without fees).

I'm looking forward to following all of your stories over the coming months and years - good luck everyone
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 16th Dec 12, 2:15 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Well, you can't say we're not committed to the cause! 5k withdrawn from my ISA and paid off mortgage yesterday Not only that, but OH has reviewed savings and contributed a further 1k today, so that's a whopping great 6,000 off the mortgage this weekend Obviously this isn't something we'll be able to do often, but it's one hell of a good start!

I'll call the mortgage company later in the week to confirm the transfers went through ok and to get an updated account balance, but my spreadsheet reckons we're currently sat at 75,115, which means next months payment will take us below 75k which is a great milestone in itself... and a year later our interest will be below 10 a day which is another milestone to look forward to

Who'd have thought that paying down debt could be "fun"?
    • icontinuetodream
    • By icontinuetodream 16th Dec 12, 3:38 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 6,606 Thanks
    icontinuetodream
    Well, you can't say we're not committed to the cause! 5k withdrawn from my ISA and paid off mortgage yesterday Not only that, but OH has reviewed savings and contributed a further 1k today, so that's a whopping great 6,000 off the mortgage this weekend Obviously this isn't something we'll be able to do often, but it's one hell of a good start!
    Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel
    WOOHOO!!!!
    Mortgage 12.12.12 55842 12.12.13 42716 14.12.14 28837 13.12.15 25913
    Mortgage OP 50/600 House Fund 420/5000
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 1st Feb 13, 9:07 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Lovely payday surprise - OH had some money left over in current account from last month, some was sent to savings, and 150 was sent to mortgage company as an OP So pleased that OH has made another voluntary OP, I think the massive scale of potential savings has sunk in and we're both on the same page now, in it together!

Also, we just received 15 cashback for switching electricity supplier a couple months ago, so that's gone straight on the mortgage too. Every little helps

Ok so on to the not so great news... Our 6k overpayment last month has reduced our monthly payments, not our term. I should have specified that we wanted to reduce the term. There's a 60 admin fee to reduce the term on request, but I think this might be waived if overpaying a lump sum over 500 at the same time. I'll call the mortgage company tomorrow to find out for sure.

Right now our standard monthly payment is 476.39, and since I've increased the monthly dd to 800 we are now automatically overpaying 323.61 per month. This year that leaves us with about 3500 available as additional ad hoc overpayments before we're charged an ERC. I think that will be fine, don't think we're likely to go over that line.

Next year, I was hoping to increase the monthly dd to a nice round 1000, in which case we'd be automatically overpaying 523.61 per month. That would mean that without any additional ad hoc OPs we would likely be stung by an ERC. Every year from then on, as the balance decreases, we'd be going over the OP allowance more and more. We'll definitely need to reduce the term to increase the standard monthly payment soon.

I'll just need to make sure that we can easily revert back to the 25 year term should circumstances change before I commit to anything. I'm pretty sure the answer will be yes, but we are very wary of being lumbered with a large monthly mortgage payment that we can't reduce should either of us end up being made redundant!
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 3rd Feb 13, 12:21 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    When I called the mortgage company yesterday I was struck by the curse of the "computer says no" call centre drone.

He'd "never heard" of customers reducing the mortgage term or request, only extending the term... There was "no process" for him to follow to reduce the term, so he could give me no more information...

Bit annoying. I was calling to find out if there would be a fee involved, and if so how much. Wasn't expecting to be told that I'm not allowed to reduce the term

The cynic in me thinks that perhaps staff are only trained in aspects that will make money for the company, not save money for the customer. If that were the case, it'd be a bit of a scandal really, but with all the scandals hitting the financial industry I doubt many people would care much about this.

Anyway, I've written a letter detailing my query and will pop it in the post later. Hopefully the letter will find its way to the right person, and I'll get some sense from them. I can but hope!
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 8th Feb 13, 10:07 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    I've finally opened my first ever Stocks and Shares ISA It's something I've been meaning to get round to for a while (about five years!) but for some reason or another it never ended up happening. Well, this evening it did! I've gone for a very cautious 50 per month investment plan to start with, so I guess that's 50 a month less that's available to overpay (or stick in a savings account) - but who knows, it might just be the start of a future life in investing that makes me my millions!

There's also the added bonus that the 50pm is taken by direct debit from my halifax reward account... That, and the fact that I also have a shiny new savings account also funded via direct debit, means I should continue to receive my free fivers from halifax for the forseeable

The not so good news is that my cash ISA is due to drop from a reasonable 3% to an awful 0.25% in under two months. My easy access savings are going to take a pretty similar hit too. Done a little shopping around, and it seems that pretty much all rates are rubbish at the moment. Best I can find is 2.25% instant access cash isa (I'm not even entertaining the thought of applying for a 2.5% account that is operated by post - seriously, in this day and age?!), and 2% instant access savings. I'm not sure if I fancy fixing as I really don't know what's going to happen to interest rates in the next year or two (though I bet if I fix they'll improve, and if I don't they'll stay low!), but even if I did decide to fix, those rates are pretty bad too... I think I'll leave it another month or two and cross my fingers that there'll be a raft of great easy access cash ISAs launched ready for next years money and accepting transfers in. We'll see. If things get worse, I guess I might go for the best cash ISA available and chance my non-ISA savings in premium bonds for a while.

I really miss the good old days of earning 12.5% on my savings, that's what switched me on to money saving in the first place - an after tax profit of 10% for doing nothing other than lending the bank my money. If I was just starting out now I don't think my attitude to money would be quite the same, the rewards are nowhere near as obvious. Oh well, another 800 comes off the mortgage tomorrow. Owning a few more bricks is it's own reward

Happy Friday everyone!
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 12th Feb 13, 10:43 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Mortgage balance as of today is 73,964.

I've calculated that if we stick to the direct debit OPs alone it should be below 70k by the end of the year. If we manage the maximum 10% annual OP it'll be closer to 65k. If we didn't OP at all, end of year balance would be just under 73k. I think that's pretty shocking!

Paying off the mortgage will take quite some time, so smaller short term targets will help. I think this years target will be to OP as much as possible and try to get the balance as close to 65k as we can Would be nice to get the daily interest down to single figures!
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 20th Feb 13, 7:54 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    It's funny how this mfw business gets under your skin... I've decided to OP what's left in my current account on payday this month. Don't know if I'll be doing this every month, but I will this month at least. I currently have 28.16 cash on me, and am desperately trying to make it last til the 1st so the OP amount will be the whole balance of my current account as it stands! I'm pretty sure I won't manage it, I'll need to take out a bit extra as we need a weekly shop between now and payday, and we might go to the cinema or have a takeaway at the weekend too, but the less I spend the more I OP, and that's motivating me not to fritter too much

I have a sneaky suspicion that OH has been infected too. Earlier today I was told that some of OH's unwanted stuff is about to be listed on ebay, and whatever they fetch will be OP'd. Fantastic!
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 24th Feb 13, 9:05 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    I'm feeling good today Done the last weekly shop of the month yesterday, still have 25 cash on me (didn't even spend that 3.16, I just put it in my sealed spare change bottle ), and I get paid in five days. That 25 should be more than enough to last me until Friday, which means what's in my current account can be OP'd today.

160.33, never expected to have that much 'spare' knocking around at the end of the month, must have been a very low spend month!

I've been rejigging my spreadsheet too, and surprised to see that IF we were to manage the full 10% OP's the next three years, our balance could be under 50k by the end of the MFiT-3 challenge. Not bad considering the current aim is to get down to 60k! Of course a lot can change between now and then, so no guarantees it'll keep going as smoothly as it has so far, but who knows what could happen? With a good tailwind and a fair bit of good luck we're in with a shot! I'm not going to change my challenge target yet, but maybe midway through the challenge I'll revise it.

What's REALLY amazing is the thought that by the end of the MFiT-3 challenge we could potentially be very close to being mortgage neutral (that is have a savings balance pretty much equal to the mortgage balance, with the option of paying off in full if we felt like it). I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't done all the calculations myself (and triple checked them all!), but it does seem almost possible! Due to the ERC's we'd face for redeeming during the 10 year fixed term, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to pay it all off too soon, but when we start to approach that position I'll do the math for various scenarios properly.

Mortgage neutral at the age of 32, what a dream come true that would be... I try not to get too carried away when looking further than a few months into the future as you never know what's around the corner, but one can dream!
    • tinkerbel
    • By tinkerbel 24th Feb 13, 11:21 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 4,903 Thanks
    tinkerbel
    Just found your thread and subscribed!
    I may not have much to add as I dont even have a house (I'm still in the deposit saving stage which is turning out super hard while renting!) but I like the way you write and you seem so enthusiastic I want to follow your journey! Not knowing too much about mortgages some of your calculations sound a bit tricky to me but its heading in the right direction and i think it was a good idea to pay off a lump sum, (esp as you got OH to lump up 1k too!) as you still have some savings and can rebuild them now but you're already saving the interest. I never knew it could be 10 per day in interest.. that's really shocked me and made me more determined to get the largest deposit I possibly can together before I buy!
    Can I ask what % you put down when you bought the place?
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 24th Feb 13, 12:50 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Hi tinkerbel, thanks for popping by and thanks especially for subscribing

We put down quite a big deposit when we bought our house, just over 25%, which meant we got the best rates at the time on a 75% ltv deal. We're lucky to have bought in a nice but relatively cheap area though, which made this more easily achievable than it would have been in pricier areas.

Our daily interest at the moment is 10.72, but it doesn't help that we're on a 5.29% 10 year fixed rate. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and I do like the certainty of knowing what we have to pay for what should really be the whole life of our mortgage, but I do feel slightly envious sometimes when I read other peoples diaries and see the lower rates they are on!

I agree that saving a deposit when renting can be tough. We managed it by being very clear that the rented house should be the cheapest decent place we could find. It was small (living room, kitchen, bathroom, one bedroom, no more), but in good condition, and pretty cheap (on more than just rent rent, council tax and bills too). We were good tenants, and the landlord was happy for us to live there for over two years without any rent increases. The money we saved in that time allowed us to buy the bigger house later on. I have friends living in very grand rented houses, but it leaves very little left over to save a deposit... Making do with a humble rented place makes so much more sense to me!

When you've found 'the house' that's when it gets interesting with the calculators and spreadsheets etc There's lots of knowledgeable helpful people on here, and if I can help you get your head round any calculations I'll do what I can.

It will be nice following your progress from saving a deposit to buying to mfw to actually being mortgage free, let me know if you have a diary on here too.
    • tinkerbel
    • By tinkerbel 26th Feb 13, 8:42 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 4,903 Thanks
    tinkerbel
    oooh 25% deposit sounds pretty sweet well done! I'm just aiming for as large a pot as I can right now as I wont be buying for ages so wont know prices/location/what might be realistic... but in a way I wish I had a target amount so that I could get all geeky with percentages and spreadsheets! I might make mini targets but then on the flip side I could see myself getting obsessive of you know what I mean and I want to live my life now too! I think for me its about saving smart, i.e. buying extra drinks before happy hour runs out to last for a bit longer, rather than missing out and not going out (if that makes sense?) also savings rates are pants!!

Anyhow I'll continue to read with interest and post when I can!
    • elantan
    • By elantan 26th Feb 13, 9:52 AM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Hey SSS just wondering if you've done anymore about matched betting? I did it a few years ago and at the time it paid out REALLY well ... I worked it out that I was making between 75-100 an hour ( depending on the bet etc)

I enjoyed the process as well it became a bit of a game for me

Not sure if its still the same though but it might be worth your while finding out .. Good luck on your journey
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • puregeordie
    • By puregeordie 26th Feb 13, 12:11 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    puregeordie
    This all sounds like a really thought out plan.

Wish I could of been able to afford/position to do this at a young age of early twenties.

That's divorce & kidz for ya!!

Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,653Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter