Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 4th Jan 18, 11:30 PM
    • 137Posts
    • 717Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    New life. Here we go.....
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:30 PM
    New life. Here we go..... 4th Jan 18 at 11:30 PM
    Right then! New year. New house. New county. New driver. New (to me) car. New log burner (ch'yeah we got it!!). New Mortgage. New life. Here we go........

Hi! Thanks for popping in. Please feel free to post here and ask questions.

I have promised myself that I will post everyday so some days may be me waffling, most will be lists (to stop me from unnecessary waffles) & some will be one word I imagine.
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 05-01-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    Live a lot. Love a few. Always paddle your own canoe.
Page 2
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 14th Jan 18, 12:21 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Not a lot of DIY going on today tut tut.

BUT I have started my bullet journal today I decided not to do it in a note book as I can be quite messy and indecisive which would aggrevate me and stop me from using it. So instead I have added the sheets to my current financial spreadsheet file. I Fudging LOVE spreadsheets! I can choose the funky text; colour within the lines; move information around the page; move information to another page; Amend column widths to suit and delete whatever I like without a page of scribbles AND it saves loads of time.

So the sheets in my spreadsheet are currently as follows:
    Monthly Budget
    Household Bills
    Net Worth
    DIY Spends - Each room in categories
    Yearly Goals - Financial, House, Other.
    January Bullet Journal
    Calendar - Listed the usual but also noted renewal dates for the first time.
    Fun - All fun things we do & treats bought to look back on at year end.
    Extra Income Brainwaves

The January Bullet journal contents:
    Dates to Remember
    Daily Maintenance - daily tick boxes eg. eat less than 1200cal (5 ticks a week would be good).
    Monthly Goals - This month is short. Save £250. Put £400 into DIY account. Save £72 car maintenance. Finish Kitchen.
    Tasks - Plus step by step how to complete them
    Achievements - Main ones eg. Stuck to budget all month, Finished kitchen.
    Daily log - Each line coloured according to key. Eg. Money saved, Financial planning, DIY

I'm sure this will all be amended and extended over time.

What pages have you got on your spreadsheet or bullet journal?
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 14-01-2018 at 12:28 AM.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 14th Jan 18, 3:00 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 6,982 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Ooh an electronic bullet journal. Interesting. I don't mind the fact my notebook has got messy, although I am looking forward to starting my new one soon so all the overview type pages (renewal dates, birthdays etc) can be brought together.

Although I am considering typing them up then printing out sheets to stick in. Oh decisions decisions
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 20th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    I know Wihsing, not quite a jouranl if it's electronic but i'm sooo messy!

Decisions decisions indeed! My head is full of decisions we need to make about decorating. This colour or that? This finish or that? Basic, medium or premium on everything from floors to light switches. I'm rubbish at decisions but I'm having LOADS of fun.

Today has been amazing fun!! We've been like the Salvage Hunters.
    VERY spendy on good ol' Ebsy, but we've saved huge amounts on a few big items we wanted.

We hired a van and travelled to the other side of the country to buy a beautiful desk for £320 which when finished will be well worth £1000 - £1500 and even now without doing anything to it it's worth way more than we paid as its not too scuffed up considering its at least 120 years old, the description was very bad and didn't say it was antique but it obviously is. The seller told me the last owner had the leather top professionally fitted 5 years ago for £700, I could tell he was gutted it didn't sell for more but I know he made his money from the rest of the lot he bought so win win!

We also bought 4 beautiful wooden book cases for £80 each which might not be as bargainous but we managed to offer £80 each instead of £100 as advertised so £80 saved there. They're going to look amazing and the bonus is - even though they are book cases, they fit vinyl records on them.

Aaaand we bought x8 2 bar radiators brand new in boxes for a total of £245 which by my estimates would RRP £850 at least.

Aand we also bought x8 iron curtain poles and 4 iron tie backs for £50 which I've calculated should RRP £128 at least.

Total guestimated saving (if you can call this expense saving) £1632 after van hire and a french polish.

Oh, and we made our own flask of tea, filled bottles with water and took sandwiches, so £1652
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 20-01-2018 at 7:48 PM.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 19th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Forgive me Martin for I have borrowed and spent spent spent!

Yes it has taken me a month to face the forum.
    A. I pushed myself too hard, therefore I gave up on all the speadsheets and task lists I'd created.
    B. I (/we) had just moved into our dream home but wasn't allowed to release money from the mortgage which we expected, therefore we were living with some nasty decor and have been very cold.
    C. So we have taken out a £12,000 loan.
    D. It has taken time for me to be settled in being in debt again.

The loan is 3year and is manageable. We hope to only spend £9,000 of this and can pay the rest back early with no penalty and less interest. We will then kick it's butt ASAP. This loan will include a combi boiler & extra radiators (currently it's a back boiler), roof tiles, chimney pointing, DIY dampcourse, plasterer (friend), lounge floor (was terrible) and bits n'bobs. This is one spreadsheet I have been sticking to and cutting costs without cutting quality with time, effort, Utube and ebsy

PS. - Due to not being allowed to release the £9000 from the mortgage and not changing from 24 year to 30, we are in effect still overpaying.

PPS. - Best buy since last posting - Ik3a wardrobes at £250. Exactly what we wanted when visiting Ik3a but were over £600 RRP. Still look perfectly brand new and we fitted both in the car so no van hire.

So, I'm back (again) but with a different purpose but same end goal. I need to keep reminding myself why I am called Elephanthchunks is because if I put too much pressure on myself I fail, small manageable chunks from now on.
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 19-02-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 19th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    PPPPS. The above post may sound rather flippant. We have seriously contemplated getting a loan over the past 3 months and beyond. We have spent years being frugal (ish) to save for our house deposit and small wedding, always buying 2nd hand where I can and reigning the husband in on his old ways of spending. I very much have always believed in don't purchase anything until you have the money for it. Which is why it has been difficult to come to this decision. On this occasion we believe we are adding a lot of value to this house which we purchased at a good price for what it is. I can't quite call it an investment because it is truly our forever home.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 20th Feb 18, 11:02 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Todays achievements:
    *Application for new doctors sent
    *Change of address on Drivers license sent (finally)
    *Notified TV licensing of no TV
    *e-mailed TCB recommendation to a friend looking for new broadband. (we got £100 back within a month of joining EE and its only £18ish a month charge).
    *Purchased Allotment book, heeouge Complete Collins Dictionary and Your Money or Your Life for a £1 each from works charity book sale.

I love my new commute and its getting lighter every day, there and back. There are a few lambs already and some cows are coming back out to play. We have oodles of snowdrops on the lawn and daffodils are starting to shoot up everywhere. Spring is close
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 20-02-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 21st Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 13,596 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    All the frugal hard working financials of the past have made all this part possible. In 18months when you've made a big dent in the loan you won't even bat an eyelid at having had a loan!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 39//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £42,061.17
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £93,938.84 // Avg Daily Interest £4.22
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • greent
    • By greent 21st Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 7,077 Posts
    • 72,123 Thanks
    greent
    I think the loan sounds perfectly reasonable - none of the purposes on which you are spending it are exactly frivolous - in fact if you weren't spending money on them now, you could be spending even more money on them further down the line (damp course, pointing, roof in particular) And living in your dream home but being cold? - pah, that's not on!

Welcome back x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 23rd Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    SJ and greent you have both seriously made a day that has already been great even better. Thank you so much! And you're right, if we put some of these things off they could end up costing us so much more.

Firstly, the bad news - we had our first quote for a new boiler including gas and water connections and newly fitted (already purchased) radiators. And it was £6500!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had budgeted £3500 tops.

Now for the good news - we called the engineer that disconnected our other fire and he asked why we wanted to change the boiler, it is because we must have the gas fire on to be able to use the central heating so it takes a while to warm up at night and not at all in the mornings. Also we don't enjoy heating the water tank for a bath and wash so have just been using the electric shower instead. Well, he kindly informed us that infact we do not need the gas fire on with our type of boiler and if we heat water for an hour a day we'll have enough hot water for the usual washes and a bath. And although back boilers do cost a little more monthly, they last a lot longer than the usual 10 years for a combi so should work out similar cost overall. We feel a bit stoopid as we do a lot of research on everything else. We could have been more stoopid and paid £6500 just for a bit more comfort and vanity of nicer rads but we weren't actually going to. He's coming round next week to service our boiler and teach us how to use the stystem properly. Then we will be able to fit our own radiators, Woop Woop!! He may have done himself out of a big job but we will use him for all future gas and water work.

More good news - 2x pairs of gold curtains for our bedroom have arrived and are beautiful, heavy and very well made. They did cost £50 each pair from ebsy but would be at least £100 each new. I love these alot.

Even more good news - We have collected 12sq m of excellent quality laminate flooring FREE off Gomtree. That should do both the bathroom and toilet room which are currently nasty brown lino. Saving £250. Although, I had only budgeted £20 to do the toilet room floor.

Good day & it's the weekend. Yay!!
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 23-02-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 24th Feb 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 13,596 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    SOunds like you stumbled onto a good tradesman! He'll end up making e nough out of you and youtr recommendations, and thats just how it should work!!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 39//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £42,061.17
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £93,938.84 // Avg Daily Interest £4.22
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 19th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Busy busy busy. Finally sat in my beatifully finished sitting room/office/craft room, log fire is blazing and it's toasty warm.
    DIY/House budget is doing great. Two rooms down and the rest are stripped. Bedroom has been plastered by a friend for £123 - bargain! A few weeks ago the snow decided to get into our (still unfixed) roof so every ceiling upstairs leaked. Luckily, nothing was ruined and we hadn't decorated but the ceilings upstairs all need painting now and we've been without lights for a few weeks so that they can dry out. Roofer still promises he will come soon but wont give us a date.

I've just been playing with my net worth spreadsheet and making it all colourful

Here are my past entries:
    Nov 2004-2011 = £0 and -£0 = Renting, apprentice/minimum wage and OH made redundant 4 times
    Aug 2011 = £0
    Nov 2011 = £2000 saved towards house deposit
    Nov 2012 = Equity £12000 + Car 1 £500 = £12500
    Nov 2016 = Equity £17000 + Extra value in house £20000 + Loan 1 £1700 + Loan 2 £300 + Car 1 SORN £250 + Car 2 £3500 + Car 3 £1000 = £40,375
    Nov 2017 = Equity from payments £18000 + Equity from sale £10,000 + Car 1 SORN £250 + Car 2 £4000 + Car 3 SORN £500 + Car 4 £3500 + Tractor £700 + Other £500 + Savings £250 = £37,700

It makes such a lot of difference owning and not renting. We are extremely lucky.

Yes, a few too many cars ha! Now we have space and outbuildings we can fix the SORN cars up and sell for more. Just need time now! Some people don't agree with adding cars but I amend the values year by year and see them as a saleable asset so why not? Car 2 was originally purchased for £2000 but is actually going up in value. OH did keep telling me it would be a future classic, I'm starting to believe him now .

So, back to my original point - Colourful spreadsheet - I've highlighted this years achievements and goals in pretty colours. The joy!
    Wins so far:
    Nov: Saved £500 in savings account
    Dec: Hit £29,000 equity
    Jan: Saved £1000 in savings account
    Jan: Extra £2100 NW in 3x months
    Feb: Match 2016 NW
    Feb: Above £40,000 NW

You may have noticed I'm not including the heeouge loan on my NW. My choice. It's on another page and being serviced. My NW page is positive and going to stay that way. Plus I don't actually know how much of the loan we actually need to use yet so there it is (not).
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 19th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 1,890 Thanks
    selloptape
    Wow - amazed to see a car go up in value!

Also love a good spreadsheet
    GC May £235.52/£290 GC April £240.65/£300March £322.53/£350
    £2 Savers Club #59 £58
    MFW 2018 #49 £600/£3,000
    MFiT T4 #21 - reduce mortgage by £20k over 3 years
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 18th Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Gosh, it's been a month since I last posted. Life can change drastically in a month! I'll keep it short and sweet, being Listy Mc List Face, here goes...

Work
    - I got offered a job relocation much closer to home but turned it down due to less money (OH still worked in same town so wouldn't have been any saving on petrol)
    - OH lost his job unfairly (difference in turned down job now would have been fine - too late)
    - He got paid last month, if he doesn't get paid a months notice we will be doing them for unfair dismissal
    - He has a job lined up which he starts in 2x months time, can choose his hours, full or part time.
    - He made his boss lots of money by selling his stock on ebsy so now he has practiced with somebody elses money he is ready to go it alone.
    - £700 spent on stock, ebsy shop started and £185 made back already in a week, much more to be listed
    - OH has used the words 'Elephant chunks' 3 times

Money
    - £1500 in savings account now
    - Over £30,000 home equity achieved
    - Still got half the loan money, was going to pay this back but we're holding onto it for now
    - Spending lots on petrol - must get confident enough to drive myself to work!!

House
    - Outbuildings are now a stock room
    - Roof tiles fitted, tree removed from chimney, new (old) pepper pot, chimney re-pointed & eaves painted
    - Gorgeous bed purchased for £60
    - Dressing table, stool, bedside tables, mirror and lamps purchased for £42
    - Newel post & spindles purchased for £22

That's the jist of it. Our new five year plan (from Nov17) of working for ourselves from home has started much sooner than we planned! By moving house and getting outbuildings we now have much greater chances of grabbing opportunities and starting a successful business. Here's hoping everything works out and OH needs to employ me soon
    • katep23
    • By katep23 19th Apr 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 9,495 Thanks
    katep23
    Wow, such a lot going on for you but you seem to find the positives so well done!

(We have 5 cars here and if we had an out building I'm sure it would be a lot more! OH is also convinced he has a couple of classics which will go up in value.)

Off to read diary from the beginning.

• FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 19th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    • 629 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Gosh Elephant, you have both had a lot to deal with in a short time, but it sounds like you've come out of it better than you went in. Are you looking for other work to get you closer to home?

Mortgage- £415,836
    BTL- £162,782

• greent
    • By greent 19th Apr 18, 1:04 PM
    • 7,077 Posts
    • 72,123 Thanks
    greent
    Wow - what a lot has happened! However, you seem to have come through it with positivity - and the bonus of a new business! - and I guess that OH can work p/t as it builds?

Hope all continues upwards! (other than the mtge balance! )
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 19th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Thanks guys!

Good luck with the cars Kate, it does happen and it really helps if they're old enough to be able to fix up yourself.

I'm actually quite amazed how positive we have both been but the S**t has only wafted below the fan briefly and we are determined to not let it hit, we will come out of this smelling of roses! And the S**t will be on his ex-bosses face mwahaha.
    DH does have what has been offered as guaranteed work, full or part time, hours to suit but it doesn't start for another 2 months. They are paying for his training so we're quite positive it will happen.

I have been looking for work closer to home, there is less around here than in the town we were in. I may be too fussy at the moment. Petrol at present is costing £75 a week. OMG thats at least £300 a month! I could drop salary by £6000 and still earn the same!!
    Wow, I'm off to look at the job sites - Onwards and Upwards!
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 19-04-2018 at 8:52 PM.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 30th Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    The past weekend we spent mostly hammering a floor! There were a few hints around the dining room edges that underneath the laminate was quarry tiles so we took the risk and pulled up the laminate. Fortunately the floor was coveed in beautiful original quarry tiles, unfortunately they were covered in screed. All screed has been hammered away now at the cost of much hammer power and the tiles are ready to be cleaned and sealed for a lovely cottagey feel.

DH business going slow but steady. He's made enough to buy a bit more stock and a cheap trailer to save on van hire. I do wish that more than 1 in 10 people left ebsy feedback because I feel that would really help the many views to be converted to more sales. 'tis early days though so it's good so far.

DH is always very encouraging in what I want to do but last week he requested that I do not apply for a new job at present because of the unstability it may cause. I totally agree. But... I got an email from a jobsite today with a job I'd like nearby so we discussed it and I have applied. This would save so much money on petrol and it's slightly more than my current salary so fingers crossed.
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 1st May 18, 10:23 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    JennyP
    Wow!
    Where on earth do you get your drive and energy?
    Loved reading your diarywhich I hadn't spotted before. Feel inspired. Seen some bar stools at john Lewis that we want but we can get the number we need from two local(ish) eBay sellers at half the price!
    What are you selling in your eBay shop? I have sold some of my old stuff this month and made £200. Find it thrilling when I get a sale but I have run out of stuff to sell. My only unwanted things now are clothes which won't make anything on eBay. My sister often manages to make a bit of money on clothes but she knows about fashion and brands and things whilst i am clueless! I haven't any ideas on how to work out what I could buy that would sell on at a profit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,847Users online

Martin's Twitter