Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evoke
    • By evoke 4th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,259Posts
    • 778Thanks
    evoke
    Paying more on meter than neighbour with no meter
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    Paying more on meter than neighbour with no meter 4th Sep 17 at 10:10 AM
    I live in a 3-bed semi and have a water meter. My water bill is significantly higher than my neighbour's water bill. I have a meter but they don't have a meter.

I live alone and the neighbour has a family of five. My water meter was installed back in 2004, before I purchased my property.

How can this be fair? I have to conserve water whilst they have inflatable paddling pools in the garden during the summer and can use as much water as they like! Is there anything that I can do do redress this unfairness?

My water company just tell me that everyone will be on a water meter over the 'next 5 years or so'.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
Page 2
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 9th Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    • 27,366 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew
    Sorry mabye it's not about the subject but I am concerned. My neighbour is renting a house and has no water meter. He is sub-letting rooms in the house (6 or 7 people living there) and his friend who's got mobile car washing company is taking water from the property on regular basis and not even trying to hide. Is that illegal? Should that be reported? Is that actually stealing? The water usage in this 3 bedroom semi must be horendous. It does not seem fair that a family of four on a meter pays more than he does with no meter!
    Originally posted by hyzaeeti
    Welcome to the forum.

As said many times in this forum, water charges are not fair - period!

Your neighbour can have as many people living in the house as he wishes and they can all take 3 baths a day if the wish. If you look through the small print of the regulations - all companies are different - it will probably say that business use for the mobile washing is not allowed - it is not illegal/stealing. If you report him, he will probably deny it, even if you make an official complaint all they will do is tell him to stop.

However whatever he pays in water charges, it doesn't affect what you pay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,627Posts Today

8,270Users online

Martin's Twitter