Minibus Company won't return deposit

I hired a minibus to take family to a funeral in September. Minibus returned as agreed and all OK but company will not return £500 deposit. They keep saying they have paid it and it will be in my account by end of next working day but it never appears. This has been for nearly three months. Unfortunately paid by bank transfer so unable to claim back through bank. Any advise on how to go about claiming through small claims court? How successful have people been with this approach? This is giving me a lot of stress, especially this time of year as it now means Xmas will be a right off!! Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    SlimHils wrote: »
    I hired a minibus to take family to a funeral in September. Minibus returned as agreed and all OK but company will not return £500 deposit. They keep saying they have paid it and it will be in my account by end of next working day but it never appears. This has been for nearly three months. Unfortunately paid by bank transfer so unable to claim back through bank. Any advise on how to go about claiming through small claims court? How successful have people been with this approach? This is giving me a lot of stress, especially this time of year as it now means Xmas will be a right off!! Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Xmas doesn't need to be a right off, you just do it on a budget.

Start the process now, keep the thread with the progress.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,949 Forumite
    Assuming it is a legit vehicle hire company it should be easy enough to get the deposit back.

Have you tried actually going in to the office and speaking to the person who does the accounts?

If not are they a member of a trade body that could help?

Do they have social media pages that you could use to voice your displeasure?

If those fail then you could start trying to claim it back using money claim online.
  • Thanks, they are a legit company, well looking at the website they are (minibus-rental.co.uk). Unfortunately it was a last minute thing to hire a minibus for the funeral instead of all taking cars as it was a long journey. Usually I would have looked at reviews on line, a mistake I will hopefully not make again. They are not near where I live so I cannot go to their office. I have refrained from posting negative comments on social media yet as was concerned they would just stop communicating but I will have to start a formal action now and will be posting my honest feedback along with copies of their emails and pictures of the state of the minibus we were provided with. You sort of keep hoping it is an honest clerical error but alas I no longer believe this is the case. I will look up Money Claim online.

Thank you...
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Thanks, they are a legit company, well looking at the website they are (minibus-rental.co.uk).
    Not sure about that - I can't see any company details on the website. Did you get something when you booked?
  • There was the agreement I signed - I will check that to see what details they have listed. Oh dear, beginning to feel a bit of a fool! I am normally so careful!
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Not sure where you are in the UK but looks like their HQ is in Crawley.
  • Thanks - I did find that address but it looks like Regus which means they may just hire an office space or desk. Crawley is nowhere near me but I may email them and say I will come to the office and collect the money if easier... just to see what reply I get.
    Thank you
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    I did find that address but it looks like Regus which means they may just hire an office space or desk.
    It may also mean they're not really "there" at all, they just get their post and phone calls forwarded.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Where did you pick the mini bus up from, may be it will be easier to go there?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • It was delivered to and picked up from my house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure