Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cg212
    • By cg212 21st Oct 19, 7:50 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cg212
    Purchased house and found out next door is a children’s home
    • 21st Oct 19, 7:50 AM
    Purchased house and found out next door is a children’s home 21st Oct 19 at 7:50 AM
    Hi, I am posting to see if anybody can share some advice on the following matter.

I have recently purchased a house (3 weeks ago) and we have had a few issues with noise (arguing and loud music mainly). However, upon asking the neighbours to turn the music down on a couple of occasions, we learnt that next door is children’s support accommodation for 16-18 year olds. They have adults which work in shifts to go in there to look after them. However, had we known this prior to now, we wouldn’t have purchased the house.

Should the sellers have been legally obliged to tell us? Should it have been discovered when the solicitor carried out our searches.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 2
    • elsien
    • By elsien 21st Oct 19, 4:01 PM
    • 20,503 Posts
    • 52,369 Thanks
    elsien
    Is there absolutely no signage outside it at all? Nothing?

Did you ask the vendors 'what are the neighbours like?' or any other questions about them? Even if you didn't knock on doors, you may at least have some sort of comeback if the sellers actually lied about who was there.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    It is possible given the age of the children that the property is more a supported living setting rather than a registered children's home.

If this is the case then there wouldn't be any easy way to find out anything about the place through official channels. The address wouldn't be registered with CQC - the provider would be but if it's domiciliary it would be the providers office address, that's all, and it probably wouldn't need planning permission.
    So being there at different times and talking to neighbours would be the only way to find out it differed from a family home.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Catsacor
    • By Catsacor 21st Oct 19, 4:43 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Catsacor
    Yes, i think the same, this is probably a supported living facility.

I visit such places regularly and will suggest an easygoing approach, here, and try and see that this is their home and will possibly find some of your daily occurrences annoying too !

By easygoing I mean relaxed and friendly because all guns blazing will not yield the desired effect !

The support staff will also be more amenable with a nice approach too.

Living next door to support facilities is not a negative factor, understanding that it's their home and young people will do what young people do......it could be yourselves/ own children/relatives doing things that irritate them.
    • JMA74
    • By JMA74 21st Oct 19, 5:32 PM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    JMA74
    Questions like this come up all the time and it appears that now the seller and the estate agents are required to disclose anything that may affect your buying decision at the earliest stage possible.

There was a case recently of an agent being fined a massive amount for not telling a buyer that the sea defences needed replacing or something. Hopefully whoever posted that will come along and explain more.

I tried to look at a property recently and the agents told me 3 times on the phone that it was near a railway line which was already obvious from the photos. I think disclosure rules are changing in favour of the buyers.

Saying that, not sure it leaves you many options to unwind the transaction. Its certainly been done before but youd need to be willing to spend a lot of money in court
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 21st Oct 19, 8:17 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    diggingdude
    I go into these places all the time for work. Most of them are fine. Many staffed 24/7 depending on the set up. These companies don't want trouble with neighbours. I wouldn't want to live by one as I would probs have a work related breakdown, but I would rather live by one of these then the asbo neighbours from hell
    House owner as of 27.3.2019
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 22nd Oct 19, 12:08 AM
    • 6,576 Posts
    • 9,353 Thanks
    deannatrois
    What supported living means depends on whose running it. My son has high functioning autism and he looked at a supported living place run by a private agency. He was quite impressed til he asked a few questions (of staff and people living there) and realised the support part meant someone would pop in, quickly ask if people were ok and then leave, running.

Certainly my experience of 'support' staff is they do as little as possible and clock their hours up as much as they can. Don't use them anymore. Too much of a con.

But I am sure not everyone will have the same story, I probably just live in a bad area where social services let them get away with this kind of thing.
    • Catsacor
    • By Catsacor 22nd Oct 19, 6:38 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Catsacor
    Wow, completely different to the 12 I go into !

I know supported living as support workers living in and as part of one large family and where the staff are close to their service users like parents or older siblings rather than visitors that pop in and out.

OP, I don't think this will cause serious problems for you, give things time to settle and reassess in a few more months.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,882Posts Today

7,652Users online

Martin's Twitter