Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Gary
    • By MSE Gary 24th Sep 19, 10:13 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    MSE Gary
    Waiters/restaurant workers (especially in chains) - tell us, who gets the tips?
    • 24th Sep 19, 10:13 AM
    Waiters/restaurant workers (especially in chains) - tell us, who gets the tips? 24th Sep 19 at 10:13 AM
    Carluccio's has said it gives cash tips to waiting staff, but card tips are split between all staff, including managers, based on hours worked. So we want to know how it works elsewhere, so that customers who choose to tip, can understand where it goes

Please tip us off (and let us know which chain you work at).
    Last edited by MSE Gary; 24-09-2019 at 6:28 PM.
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 5
    • The Jester
    • By The Jester 17th Oct 19, 9:28 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    The Jester
    For me, when I tip, it's for both the server and the chef who cooked it, i mean if the food is lovely why would the server get 100% tip and chef nothing.
    Originally posted by Marvel1
    Because chefs are paid more than the waiting staff.

The Chefs at the Sanam in Falkirk are paid 600pw. The waiters aren't on half of that.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Oct 19, 9:47 AM
    • 24,584 Posts
    • 66,079 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Because chefs are paid more than the waiting staff.

The Chefs at the Sanam in Falkirk are paid 600pw. The waiters aren't on half of that.
    Originally posted by The Jester
    I would have thought that too.
    But an earlier post suggest that is not the case:

I worked in 3 local restaurants as a chef between 2007 and 2015, all were different.

The first was split on a daily basis between all staff, including cleaners, paid by number of hours worked.

The second gave no tips to kitchen staff, they were instead split between front of house and managers on a monthly basis and paid by number of hours worked.

The third split tips 75:25 front of house:kitchen on a daily basis with the head chef taking 50% of the kitchens share - regardless of whether he worked that day or not. The rest was paid on a day rate so you received the same when working 2 hours or 12.

For me personally, I tip on the whole package. If the service is good but the food is awful its unlikely I will tip, but if the food is fantastic and service poor I probably would.

I'm perhaps biased having been a chef, and it was a long standing disagreement with front of house, but chefs often don't get paid any more than waiting staff and in my opinion, add more value to the dining experience. I'm there to eat good food. This isn't America where waiting staff rely on tips to get by, we have minimum wages which a lot of the industry are paid, so when tipping, I always hope that the kitchen receive an equal share.
    Originally posted by evans439
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,243Posts Today

8,188Users online

Martin's Twitter